Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche Museum Stuttgart/Factory Tour

Thomp1983

Silverstone
Morning Guys,

I'm planning a trip to europe for the last weekend in august with the wife.

We're going to got to the porsche museum Stuttgart on friday august 31st, I'm guessing as the factory is currently on shut down there will not be a factory tour available?

Also has anyone done the stretch from Calais to Stuttgart in one go before and has any advice? We're planning on getting the le shuttle from folkestone on the thursday night to arrive at Calais around 11pm I then plan to drive overnight to stuttgart to arrive early morning, I've done plenty of long overnight trips to the north of Scotland so know I'm ok with the long drive through the dark just wondered if there was anything on this particular route to be aware of?

Can I get a pass or sticker for the toll roads so I don't have to stop at them all and wake swmbo up to pay them?

cheers
chris

you can contact them directly to find out if they are running tours (or if there are spaces available) https://www.porsche.com/museum/en/kontakt/
they respond quickly and are very helpful.
I went last year- luckily I had a meeting about 1km away so combined the meeting with a visit. its really good. dunno about the factory tours tho' I wasn't able to get on one.

I generally head for about Liege then drop down through Germany. No tolls there and a few unrestricted Autobahn sections. Give yourself a few stops and stretch your legs.

I enquired earlier in the year. Tours were unavailable Early july thru September due to elongated shutdown.

If you are a porscheclub GB member you can book into the Restaurant at the museum. Looks superb. a few on here have used it.....we are going for the 1st time in July.

I think anyone can book the Christophorus restaurant. It's not my cup of tea, but looks great. I prefer the Boxenstopp.

Thomp1983 said:
Morning Guys,

I'm planning a trip to europe for the last weekend in august with the wife.

We're going to got to the porsche museum Stuttgart on friday august 31st, I'm guessing as the factory is currently on shut down there will not be a factory tour available?

Also has anyone done the stretch from Calais to Stuttgart in one go before and has any advice? We're planning on getting the le shuttle from folkestone on the thursday night to arrive at Calais around 11pm I then plan to drive overnight to stuttgart to arrive early morning, I've done plenty of long overnight trips to the north of Scotland so know I'm ok with the long drive through the dark just wondered if there was anything on this particular route to be aware of?

Can I get a pass or sticker for the toll roads so I don't have to stop at them all and wake swmbo up to pay them?

cheers
chris

For the toll roads use a Sanef tag, very simple and straightforward. (Google sanef)
If night driving, consider your headlight beam deflection (handbook)
Many on here have made the pilgrimage to Stuttgart for the Factory/Museum visit. Have a dig around the meets and road trips section. Several threads in there with a plethora of tips and advice.
:thumb:

thanks for the advice guys, magic919 your route across belgium and then down looks like a decent run and time wise doesn't seem to be much longer than cutting across france.

The christophorus restaurant looks like a great shout, were on a very short trip consisting of

31st August porsche museum/stuttgart 1 day/night
1st September drive to Neuschwanstein castle then onto Innsbruck
2nd September a day in Innsbruck then head home with an overnight stay in Karlsruhe to break the driving up

Are there any other dining suggestions for an evening in Stuttgart?

The Museum is Zuffenhausen and it's a bit of a dive. Assuming you mean Stuttgart then you could head for the Milaneo Shopping Centre. Quite a range of places in there.

If you want Zuffenhausen and eat meat, Triple B do some great burgers (they have a veggie option, but mostly meat). The place is small and busy. There is a little square nearby with an Italian ice cream/cafe place.

Hi magic I meant Stuttgart generally I've never been and as we're short on time it's easier to have things planned in advance than strolling around trying to find somewhere off the cuff.

There's a great place to stop for coffee not far from Innsbruck called Rasthaus Zugspitzblick. Great views from outside. They do food, but the apple strudel is hard to beat.

Thomp1983 said:
Hi magic I meant Stuttgart generally I've never been and as we're short on time it's easier to have things planned in advance than strolling around trying to find somewhere off the cuff.

If you've never been, try to find time for the Merc museum too, it's really excellent.

The Porsche museum is free if you're in Porsche Club GB - take your member ship card.

Thomp1983 said:
Also has anyone done the stretch from Calais to Stuttgart in one go before and has any advice? We're planning on getting the le shuttle from folkestone on the thursday night to arrive at Calais around 11pm I then plan to drive overnight to stuttgart to arrive early morning ....

...... Can I get a pass or sticker for the toll roads so I don't have to stop at them all and wake swmbo up to pay them?

The last time I did Calais to Stuttgart via Brussels and Luxembourg (464 miles) in one go and vowed I wouldn't do it again. The difference was that I got a 06.45am shuttle so didn't start from Calais until 8.55 am local time. An overnight drive would be a relative doddle.

There aren't any toll roads on that route.

Have fun. :thumbs:

I've just found what I actually wrote in 2016.

"....... before heading off to board our 07.20 train. We arrived in Calais at 08.55 European time with 464 road miles ahead of us our small convoy headed to our first proper stop - in Luxembourg. A couple of diversions to avoid traffic were made but our first stint went without any hitches and we stopped for a brief 'comfort break' just past the Brussels Ring Road 149 miles in to our journey.

A similarly painless 121 motorway miles at a steady 85/90 mph got us to the excellent Aral Berchem Service Area in Luxembourg for 13.40. The next couple of hours motorway cruising were punctuated by various minor roadwork hold-ups so a brief pee and stretch stop was welcome after 114 miles by which time we were all pleased to note that our Zuffenhausen Hotel was only 80 miles away.

Frustratingly every bit of derestricted autobahn seemed to coincide with a line of lorries so one single blip up to 150 mph was all I managed.

The approach to Stuttgart, mid-week in the late afternoon, was always going to be a bit busy and so it transpired with that last 80 miles taking nearly two hours meaning that we'd spent over 10 hours in the saddle that day.

It was great fun but this particular old geezer will be definitely be setting himself an 9 hour a day driving limit for any future trips."

The same journey overnight = 7 hours :?: If so, :thumbs:

A group of us did the Museum visit last year when we did the Dinslaken tour in 2017; we ended up in the restaurant and it was superb - the food was just top quality.

We had the added bonus of, when we finished dinner, the door we came in by was closed and we had to exit the building via the underground car park - as we left we saw several brand new Porsche's under car covers - which we had to go and have a god nosey at.... imagine our surprise when we uncovered a load of Porsche R's....

Have a great trip and let us all know how you got on

Osh

G2 said:
I enquired earlier in the year. Tours were unavailable Early july thru September due to elongated shutdown.

If you are a porscheclub GB member you can book into the Restaurant at the museum. Looks superb. a few on here have used it.....we are going for the 1st time in July.

I just booked for the factory tour for June 21st so this has now changed :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back