Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New LTT thermostat....takes ages to warm up?

segart

Nurburgring
Not really understanding the benefit of my new design 911 ltt if it takes a light year to warm up. At least according to the temp guage. Any ideas?
Rick

That's odd. Mine takes about the same time to warm up. It might take fractionally longer but put that down to the new fluids..

Only differences I've noticed on mine are that the fan comes on far more often and the temp gauge is about 1mm to the left. Other threads suggested that the temp gauge on the dash doesn't move but mine 100% has immediately after having it fitted. To the best of my knowledge the LTT was from design 911.

Drive closer to light speed

Sounds more like it's stuck open¿?

Did you have new fluids?

Not sure about new fluids but will check. The temp guage tends to read bang on 80 now instead of slightly to the right of 80, unless i am in traffic when it reads about 84. Am i being paranoid or does it not make much difference?

Gauge is buffered in the middle bit so that's about right. Baz of hartech once explained in detail, but with ltt you are trying to lower temp of bank 2 to prevent that one scoring as it runs hotter than bank 1 by only 10deg or something but that's all it takes. When they have put internal sensors in an engine their ltt got bank 2 down to a deg or two below that Of The non scoring temp of bank 1, the dash gauge showed as you described yours doing so it's working OK. Shouldn't take forever to warm up but you may be suffering watched pot syndrome, heating 22litres of coolant to 85deg from ambient takes some time..

segart said:
Not sure about new fluids but will check. The temp guage tends to read bang on 80 now instead of slightly to the right of 80, unless i am in traffic when it reads about 84. Am i being paranoid or does it not make much difference?

I wouldn't worry. Sounds right. Mine took about 3 miles and 10 mins to get up to temp this morning at 19 degrees. This is what mine looks like after 30 mins. Mixed driving. It's defo left of what it used to be, doing its job ;)

Mine sits between 78 and 80... in v heavy traffic where it used to sit before the ltt slightly above 80 (needle touched the zero).

Hope this helps :thumb:

Attachments

• img_6987_105.jpg
    img_6987_105.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,907
  • img_6988_831.jpg
    img_6988_831.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,884
segart said:

Is the fact it's now sitting at 80 instead of 85 what makes you think it's taking much longer to warm up?

If so, this is kind of the point of the LTT. It opens at a lower temperature.
Therefore reducing the normal (like motorway driving) operating temperature.
Temp will always rise in traffic as you're relying just on the fans to cool the engine rather than airflow from driving at 70 mph

Thanks a lot guys. That all sounds sensible. Watched Pot Syndrome. I like that and yes on reflection it is warming up at about the same speed as before. About 10 or 15 minutes.
I am off in the car to Costa Brava in two weeks so am keen to have it totally on song for the trip.
Cheers
Rick

Can one be bought for a 996 turbo?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
briant1000
Back