Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 c4s - latest tyre choices

lewisf182

Hi,

So first time round having to replace my tyres (fronts). On my old car i'd go eagle F1 asys as they gave the best mix of grip plus longevity so i'm looking for something similar. I want a tyre that lasts more than 6-8k but still offere decent levels of grip.

What are the latest opinione on best tyre choices?
My usual F1 asys look like a very good price to at the mo. For info tyres currently on car are P zero's

Thanks

I went for PS2 N4 rears and non N rated PS4 on the front and couldn't be happier. Replaced some ageing but unworn PS N1 tyres and removed quite a bit of understeer.

Hi,

If you looking for good tyre and last long I have find on my cars Falken's very nice option I'm still good with my current tires but when time comes I will grab Falken as price wise, last long and performance not far from top brands unless there will be some deal on better tyres.

I have Falken on my bmw 635csi and S-class find them amazing on rain and so much grip but then these are much smaller then what we need for our cars not sure how perform with more rubber.

I'm buying all my tyres from oponeo try it, they also have reviews from customers.

Over the 10 years & 112k miles I've had my 996 I've had Contis, PS2's, P Zeros and now have PS4's.

The PS4's are by far the best tyre I've ever had - grip, noise and life are significantly better than anything else I've tried.

No idea how long the fronts will last - at least 25k. Rears are still looking good after c.8k... which is good compared to other tyres I've had on the rear... Contis and PS2's was c.6k, and the P Zeros I had lasted less than 3k.

Sorry for slight hijack, but I have PS2s all round which have been brilliant, but I need some new rears... fronts still have loads of tread left.

Can I mix PS4 rear and PS2 front, or will I die?

but they don't do PS4s in 996 rear sizes?

I bought PS2 rears for mine today to replace Pirellis, on a shortish journey through town, they are more supple (better ride) but noisier on some surfaces.

Very pleased with the service at Just Tyres, no airguns in sight, wheels treated with respect and carefully torqued up. £400 a pair.

duplicate post sorry

I've been using PS4s on my C2 since last June when they were fitted during a visit to Center Gravity, they now have 5000 miles on them and are great - I previously ran them on a GT86 and was impressed enough to want them on my 911 as soon as possible (it had 5yr old Contis fitted when I bought it).

Regarding sizes, the Gen1 cars came with 265/35 rears which changed to 285/30 for the Gen2 (but all on same size wheels) - my car is a Gen2 so I fitted PS4 rears in 275/35 (the nearest size available) with standard size fronts on it with Chris Franklin's approval and they have been through all kinds of weather as well as a CAT Driver Training day and are still performing fantastically well with relatively low amounts of wear.

PS4's are sounding tempting then and £213 on tyresonthedrive for 2 doesn't seem a bad price!

Any problems having PS4's on the front and P zero's on the back? Rears are fairly new so would prefer to wear these out a bit more? Heard the odd thing re the 4WD needing to be within certain tolerances on tyres etc...

lewisf182 said:
PS4's are sounding tempting then and £213 on tyresonthedrive for 2 doesn't seem a bad price!

Any problems having PS4's on the front and P zero's on the back? Rears are fairly new so would prefer to wear these out a bit more? Heard the odd thing re the 4WD needing to be within certain tolerances on tyres etc...

I would prefer to replace all 4 or at least have the same brand front/rear

I wouldn't recommend Falkens on the 996. I put a set of FK452 on my car when I first bought it because I'd been happy with Falken on other cars. The rears felt "floaty" as if they were too soft. Increasing the pressures helped but then they started to wear quickly in the centres. They slowly improved as they ran in but I was never really happy. The fronts never seemed to grip as much as I expected. I think the load ratings are wrong for our cars with their unusual weight distribution.

Currently on N-rated Contis and happy with those, although everyone is raving about the PS4s nowadays.

I've also just fitted some Federal 595 RSRs to a spare set of wheels just for dry weather / track days. Not had a chance to try them properly but the reviews I've seen are good.

Sundayjumper said:
I wouldn't recommend Falkens on the 996. I put a set of FK452 on my car when I first bought it because I'd been happy with Falken on other cars. The rears felt "floaty" as if they were too soft. Increasing the pressures helped but then they started to wear quickly in the centres. They slowly improved as they ran in but I was never really happy. The fronts never seemed to grip as much as I expected. I think the load ratings are wrong for our cars with their unusual weight distribution.

Currently on N-rated Contis and happy with those, although everyone is raving about the PS4s nowadays.

I've also just fitted some Federal 595 RSRs to a spare set of wheels just for dry weather / track days. Not had a chance to try them properly but the reviews I've seen are good.

Noticed :thumb:

lewisf182 said:

Look at Asda tyre prices.............

Wish I'd seen these comments on PS4s, I'd put the question about 275/35/18s on several threads but had no answer so I bought PS2s (285/30/18s) today, mind I am pleased with them.

Sundayjumper said:

What load rating were the Falkens? They do different ones.

If not buying N rated tyres you need the heaviest load rating to get stiff enough sidewalls for a 911.

It will be PS2's or Yokohama AD08R for me when I come to replace..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back