Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Major Service question

Porschekit

Suzuka
Since I bought my car in 2014 with 41k miles on it (it had a major service at 40k miles) I've always been proactive in servicing and maintenance, with multiple minor services annually, regardless of mileage; as well as replacement of worn or broken parts, etc.

However, the car will be due a 60k miles major service this summer. The question is.....since I've always been proactive, do these cars tell you when stuff needs to be done, like my BMW does, with alerts coming up on the dashboard?
Or do I need to monitor the mileage and have the list of work done around 60K 'ish as per the service book?

Hi John, they will go by the book which lists all the items that need doing at certain times, such as plugs etc which would then lead onto coil packs being checked, which isn't part of the service but obviously if you go to the expense of doing the plugs it would only be natural to check them, which I know you've had done.
This is where some cars, such as my last one suffered as a plug change on that car was £700 or there about's, so people just leave it till it either breaks or they keep their fingers crossed!
As we get such a good deal off OPC Teesside and drink a lot of their tea and coffee I would haggle them down to a good price. OPC stamp is what buyers will look for and which is worth it's weight when selling.
At certain ages, certain things need doing irrespective of mileage, PDK fluid being a good example, I know yours is a manual but you see what I mean.

As above, the car won't tell you what is due.

60k big item is plugs. All filters. Brake fluid every 2 years regardless of mileage.

At that mileage on a manual, you may want to be budgeting for a clutch. (~£1k). Obviously this depends how the car has been used, mine was starting to slip at 40k-ish miles, dunno how the previous owner drove to achieve that!

Your service book contains all the information for each service. Some items are standard Major Service/Minor Service items.

Others are time dependent - such as brake fluid change every two years irrespective of mileage.

Some are mileage dependent - for example on a 996 Turbo the Poly Rib belt and fuel filter are replaced at 48k miles.

The service book lists all the information that you need. A call to your OPC will also clarify/confirm what is included and what additional work is recommended in the Porsche Service Schedule.

On a 997.1 the Poly drive belt should also be replaced at 60k / 6yrs

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back