Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Beyond brain dead.

Alex

Nordschleife
Yes. Saw that. The mind boggles.....

Just remember at the next election thstbhis vote is worth the same as yours.......and he's stealing oxygen from the human race

Driving is a privilege, not a right.
If you see it a such an inconvenience, get a taxi :x

The first thiing that went through my mind when I read your thread title was that very article. Stupidity beyond belief. His comments during interview reinforce his naivity and total lack of common sense.

I thought Tesla autopilot only worked if you had your hands on the wheel on a regular basis?

Poor design by Tesla.

The public need protecting from themselves.

Simple process to deactivate 'auto" if no one is sitting in the drivers seat?

jotaking said:
Poor design by Tesla.

The public need protecting from themselves.

Simple process to deactivate 'auto" if no one is sitting in the drivers seat?

Absolute imbecile , must be a 'kin dimwit even when behind the wheel ( in two years time again maybe !)

But this and all the other deaths caused by 'autonomous driving' really goes to show that this 'technology' is not suitable for the average man ....

Who would trust a car to drive itself ..................... not me .................. just why would you...............?

It will be like the new GT3/RS the way Porsche are going with non stick 'drivers' cars. Guy Martin has seen it coming ....

I should probably add that for those who saw the recent (so telemetry and programming up to date) documentary with Guy Martin you would also have seen the fact that it failed to produce the goods once pushing up to the limit.

Pip

Attachments

• guy_martin_ai_466_146557362_239944392_630x400_155.jpg
    guy_martin_ai_466_146557362_239944392_630x400_155.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 9,720
This clown needs to be removed from the road on a permanent basis!

I have driven a Model S for an extended period and used Autopilot only once, it's all very clever, but there is no way I would trust it over any real distance whilst sitting in the driver's seat, never mind the passenger seat! Autopilot seemed to work well enough until it decided that the hard shoulder was a better option than lane 1 and executed a violent lane change manoeuvre. I reckon it was a fraction of a second away from spinning out if I hadn't countersteered sharpish. Tesla analysed the data and reckoned the road markings confused the car, but I have driven the same stretch of road many times since and the road markings are as good as they get.

This happened around 1.5 years ago in dry clear conditions with no other cars nearby using the latest hardware and software available at the time. I am happy to accept that much has changed since, but there's still a long way to go before I would be comfortable with using the feature/gimmick again.

Needless to say, I didn't buy one and even their marketing team seem to have given up on trying to tempt me :D

When people do not realise the risk they pose to themselves or others, we are all in trouble.

The advent of AI in cars and how people interact with it, has the real possibility to bring about absolute disaster before the legislation really tightens down on it. If you look at the degree of pilot skill which is still required in autopilot equipped planes, then there will still be a need for driver skill in cars no matter what direction the technology goes. So when a driver thinks that the technology can replace or substitute for their lack of skill, some almighty horror crashes unfortunately lie ahead.

K888ETH said:
I have driven a Model S for an extended period

I haven't, so excuse the question if it comes across as uneducated on the subject, if you would please.......

K888ETH said:
Autopilot seemed to work well enough until it decided that the hard shoulder was a better option than lane 1 and executed a violent lane change manoeuvre. I reckon it was a fraction of a second away from spinning out if I hadn't countersteered sharpish.

So you can't really trust it at all, so it doesn't really work? I mean, if you've got to sit there being completely aware of everything then it's really not assisting you with anything useful, is it?

I think I'd feel more on edge knowing that at any point the car I'm driving might just try to kill me because it's software glitches out than actually controlling the thing myself - surely that's less mentally draining?

GF's Golf and all her work mates sometimes have them slamming the brakes on for no reason due to the sensors on them giving duff info. Usually when parking so low speed but they've all experienced it doing 30+ mph.

Doesn't half put the wind up you

If you want hi tech automation on the roads, then you need high tech platform for them to run on. Unfortunately our pothole infrastructure isn't it.

Got let off too lightly. £1800 fine for someone who can afford a Tesla?

He needed an fortnight at her Majesty's B and B.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back