Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What''s my car worth & M3 thoughts? - Edit: I BLAME YOU

DerbyJim

Imola
With two kids (15 and 9) and just found out we have another one on the way :D I can just see that the Porker is going to get less and less use.

In some ways I don't mind, I've never really done practical cars with the exception of the daily driver but I've recently been having naughty thoughts about the M3 (F80 model if I'm correct about my BMW models) and it must be with the Competition Pack.

Has anyone got any direct comparisons that they can share?

My thoughts at the moment are that I can actually take the kids rather than simply taking the DD, I won't be 'as precious" about the car and be happy to park in supermarkets etc. It would also fill the gap better between a fast, enjoyable road car and DD for the growing family.

My thoughts against it are simple - it's not a Porsche! I've not been without a Porsche for 10-15 years now :eek: The other option is to replace with a Macan (practical, would prob go GTS or maybe Turbo) or go big and get a GT3 and carry on (latter may get me into trouble and strife)...

FYI - household consists of two Lotuses (which are obv practical and will remain) plus a F30 2012 Beemer, which I surprisingly love a lot.

Porsche 997 4S cab
Black with black interior
I'm the second owner
Full Porsche service history
72,000 Miles
Turbo (turbo 2?) alloys
Heated seats
Bose
Sports Exhaust :grin:
PASM
Michelin Pilot Sport 4, nearly new all round
Windbreaker and probably other options but those above are the important ones imho

Car is excellent condition and has been maintained very well / without hesitation. It's got the larger IMS and had check for bore scoring by Independent last year.

Bad points - the next service is due now, I'm happy to get this done (and any bits fixed) or do I mention this in the ad and let buyer go independent?
Some stone chips on the front and I can get these done - I'm currently changing the colour of the Lotus S1 and will assess quality before I put the Porker there. One small scratch on rear quarter, about half inch which was done before I purchased. There are NO dings, car door dents, anything else!!

I was thinking 28k as is or 29.5k with service, right ball-park?

So where do I go from here??? I'm confused and been awake since 4am thinking about it!

Re: What''s my car worth & M3 thoughts?

DerbyJim said:
With two kids (15 and 9) and just found out we have another one on the way :D I can just see that the Porker is going to get less and less use.

In some ways I don't mind, I've never really done practical cars with the exception of the daily driver but I've recently been having naughty thoughts about the M3 (F80 model if I'm correct about my BMW models) and it must be with the Competition Pack.

Has anyone got any direct comparisons that they can share?

My thoughts at the moment are that I can actually take the kids rather than simply taking the DD, I won't be 'as precious" about the car and be happy to park in supermarkets etc. It would also fill the gap better between a fast, enjoyable road car and DD for the growing family.

My thoughts against it are simple - it's not a Porsche! I've not been without a Porsche for 10-15 years now :eek: The other option is to replace with a Macan (practical, would prob go GTS or maybe Turbo) or go big and get a GT3 and carry on (latter may get me into trouble and strife)...

FYI - household consists of two Lotuses (which are obv practical and will remain) plus a F30 2012 Beemer, which I surprisingly love a lot.

Porsche 997 4S cab
Black with black interior
I'm the second owner
Full Porsche service history
72,000 Miles
Turbo (turbo 2?) alloys
Heated seats
Bose
Sports Exhaust :grin:
PASM
Michelin Pilot Sport 4, nearly new all round
Windbreaker and probably other options but those above are the important ones imho

Car is excellent condition and has been maintained very well / without hesitation. It's got the larger IMS and had check for bore scoring by Independent last year.

Bad points - the next service is due now, I'm happy to get this done (and any bits fixed) or do I mention this in the ad and let buyer go independent?
Some stone chips on the front and I can get these done - I'm currently changing the colour of the Lotus S1 and will assess quality before I put the Porker there. One small scratch on rear quarter, about half inch which was done before I purchased. There are NO dings, car door dents, anything else!!

I was thinking 28k as is or 29.5k with service, right ball-park?

So where do I go from here??? I'm confused and been awake since 4am thinking about it!

Errmmm you could be me :?:

I have a Lotus too, I have 3 kids plus a Porker and I used to have a BMW 4 Series, see what I mean ! :floor:

So here goes with my plan, my wife drives a X3 on lease, it's the dullest car in the world but it really does what it says on the tin !
The chances of you actually needing 5 seats in my experience are rare, and when you do we either use my wife's X3 or taxi it to the local restaurant.
I'd promote the Porker to DD, flog the Beamer you have and get a X3 or an XC90 ( they are flippin ace cars ) That way you have a winter DD too
On the Beamer front, I had a 4 Series MSport 435d Sport Pack, also in lease for 2 years, honestly it was the fastest car I've ever owned till I bought the Turbo. 315 bhp fully available, tank pulling torque, and 43 to the gallon ! If I was told to drive to Leeds ( 110 miles away ) and I had to get there ASAP I'd take the 435d as my tool of choice ! Yes the M3 / M4 is faster but I reckon I would have spun it in to a ditch or pulled by the Feds after 20 Miles, whereas the 'sheep' would have been doing wolf impressions for the next hour :thumbs: :thumbs:

One further point.....
And this is critical !

Baby due in 6 months, eldest 15, baby is toddler in 20 months, eldest is now 17 and driving in 20 months ( as is my 21 year old )

You trying to fix the wrong problem :hand:

Pivot around the 17yeatr old driving, because you only need 4 seats again :thumbs:

P.S. Get her/him a Ford Fiesta, brill cars, my lad had a Corsa before shocking car !

Hi MFP

Interesting similarities!

I don't think the X3 will do it for me however I do see a 4x4 in our life for a couple of years at least. I 'just about' remember the days of lifting the car seat in and out of the car and dumping half the house in the boot when we went absolutely anywhere. 4x4 was much, much easier!

So, that's the missus' car sorted.

I could have her Beemer - which I do like. I would be happy with the 435d too, the torque!!!! Think I might drive them back to back and decide.

Understand your point about the upcoming learner driver. I think it'll be important for inclusivity that we travel as a family for the first few years - and I really don't want to put a car seat in the back of the 997.

So Elise 111R eh, cracking car! Have you lowered the cam? Track it much?

How far do you drive with the DD and is is pretty much always by yourself?

Love the idea of the C4S being a daily. I used my C2S Cabrio as my daily driver, work from home, and love it. Great cars to use in any situation.

Interestingly my wife has fast BMW as well and loves it, but nowhere near as good as a 911. She has an M240i Convertible. 335bhp, 369 ftlby things of torque, its a stealth bomber. Very subtle, only the badge gives it away to the informed, and that's a black badge on a black car so you have to be behind it at the lights to read it :)

Had a Macan as a courtesy car, and it was nice, but not interesting, and I thought small. Couldn't see the point. If you're getting a sensible 4*4 then the volvo is the right call. keep the C4S. Get a fiesta for the 17 year old.

The 911 isn't going to depreciate much, if anything, and who cares if you keep it anyway! That's what I will probably do with mine. Great car, in lovely condition, well looked after.....

hi there
Take a look at this thread which will give you some thoughts on the current M3/M4:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=127371

Great car and a brilliant all rounder but i have to admit, I sold a 997.2 daily to get into mine for the same reason (kids / needing back seat) and as much as I liked it, I missed a Porsche very quickly.

Need to keep the C4S somehow!

As an life long BMW customer and now have a 997, you would have to shoot me to get me out of the Porsche.

The BMW is good (I have driven the CP) but there are lots on the BMW forums who have gone the CP route and then sold them very quickly.... they are a quick hit and good fun but I would not/ could not live with one! I'd personally say say save the money and get a 340i and keep the Porsche.... There are some amazing deals to be had on the 340i and it is a better daily plus you can still keep the Porsche!

There is definitely a type of bloke who buys Porsches AND BMWs, and I too am one (2 and 6 off respectively).

Ok my current daily doesn't qualify for comparison because I've just switched to an X1 due to a change of job, but none of the performance BMWs could/would/have got me out of a Porsche as the primary fun car. They are great fast saloons, but they can't carry off that last emotional bit of joy of a 911

I have both Porsche and BMW as well, certainly a common choice.

MC

I sold my BMW to get my Porsche. If it wasnt for the fact that running 2 cars was just uneconomical then id have kept the BMW also.

Interesting thread as I have 2 youngsters under 5 and wifes on about having a 3rd. Currently both kids happily fit in the back of my 997 turbo which I have used as my daily for the last 2 years. Wifes on about me selling the turbo and getting a "family" ??!!! car instead. Im thinking if I have the front passenger airbag disabled then I can happily fit 3 kids in the car. Wife would have to walk mind! :floor:

Yeah, unfortunately 5 year olds or thereabouts will fit happily in the back but the 15 year old is a no go for anything longer than a 20-30 mins journey and the 9 year old doesn't look too comfy either.

Interesting thoughts about keeping the Porsche. Even the guys at my work say I'm mad going to Beemer but I think I'm going to have to test one and get it out of my system.

P.S. I've said to the missus that if she has twins then we are selling one as that just buggers up the car situation even further!!!!

I have the Porsche c4s and a BMW 335i estate....the combo ticks every single box.

The BMW is super quick (remapped to 360 bhp, soon to be 400bhp!) and is the family workhorse, seats 5 and carries all manner of junk when needed.

...but every time I sit in my Porsche, it just feels special,in a way that BMWs cant replicate.

I sold my last 911 for a Bentley GT and spent the next 18 months missing my old car, so much that I took a huge hit to come back to a 911.

KEEP IT!!!

Keep it and buy a cheap runaround.
I use my turbo as much as I can but draw the line at public car parks of any type! I used my old 4S all the time and it just become the norm. When I changed to the turbo it was a game changer, I bought a mini D with works trim and most of the toys for surprisingly little, about the annual depreciation of a new beemer. Surprisingly I love it but not as much as getting in the Turbo!! Wife has a disco that we abuse and daughter about to do her test. It's usually just me in the Porsche just how I like it :thumb:

Oh god, what have I done?!!!

So probably one of my rash-est moments (if that's a word) but I think I've done you guys proud....

Today I part-ex'd my car in. I saw it online at about 5am this morning (haven't been sleeping great), been working so much recently and though 'uck it, let's go and have a look at it.

At around 1pm I was shaking the Sales guy's hand on a deal for this:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classif...rrera-gts/porsche-911-carrera-gts-pdk/8437045

The car is lovely. The GTS spec is nice anyhow but combined with the 991.1 sound of the NA engine, the nice little touches of the two tone / stripey Seat-belts, the alcantara interior and the Carmine red on black touches... I loved it.

I pick it up during the week.

The M3 can wait :hand:

P.S. I'm blaming you guys on this one!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back