Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CP4less Water pumps

911munKy

Imola
Hi all, my car is soon to be approaching a service and at 104,000m I'm thinking about doing a preemptive Water pump change.
I only have detailed service history going back about 6 years and it doesn't feature in that, I've also got a LTT to fit which I've had a while (I know the 3.4 needs one less than a 3.6 but fitting it at the same time won't hurt).

CP4less have the following Water pumps available (all metal impeller, I won't start that debate here again), should I just go for the cheap one or is that a poor decision? 16% discount also available on prices at the moment.
Has anyone compared them before?

Circoli £78
KWP £88
GEBA £155 (states OE quality)
LASO £165 (states OE quality)
VM £184

Thanks,

"VM Parts are products which are fitted by the Vehicle Manufacturer."

When I've bought VM from eurocarpart / carparts4less they have been the genuine part, with Porsche part number, or the same manufacturer part e.g. Elring RMS.

On one occasion (flywheel bolts) carparts4less got my local OPC to send me the parts when they had no stock!

I was in your exact position recently and went for the LASO, I think. Can't remember why now but at the time I did read a few threads on the subject, so there must be a reason!

Just checked and it was a LASO and was 147 quid from ECP with discount. Along with a Wahler LTT on my 106k car.

Thanks for your comments Wasz & JS, I went for the LASO one in the end after a bit of further reading, as much as I like to save a few quid it's not the sort of part I would want failing on me and I'd rather just fit it once and hopefully forget about it for many years. £139 with a discount at CP4 less.

I'd only fit a genuine Porsche item with part number on and in a Porsche box.

Every man and his dog claims "Original equipment" these days when selling these.

If I fitted an unknown one I'd be changing it every couple of years.
If I fitted a genuine one I'd leave it much longer. My original one lasted 20 years and 75k. That's good enough for me.

It's one of the few parts I'd insist on being a genuine Porsche part.

911munKy said:
Hi all, my car is soon to be approaching a service and at 104,000m I'm thinking about doing a preemptive Water pump change.
I only have detailed service history going back about 6 years and it doesn't feature in that, I've also got a LTT to fit which I've had a while (I know the 3.4 needs one less than a 3.6 but fitting it at the same time won't hurt).

CP4less have the following Water pumps available (all metal impeller, I won't start that debate here again), should I just go for the cheap one or is that a poor decision? 16% discount also available on prices at the moment.

Circoli £78
KWP £88
VM £184

Thanks,

I fitted a non original water pump to my old 996.........it did not last 12 months :nooo:

That did however, allow me to claim on my warranty for bore scoring.

Saving a few quid is for Fords, not for Porkers IMHO and experience.

How about the meyle ones? I seem to think I saw one recently for about £120

Rhodris-dad said:
911munKy said:

Circoli £78
KWP £88
VM £184

Thanks,

I fitted a non original water pump to my old 996.........it did not last 12 months :nooo:

That did however, allow me to claim on my warranty for bore scoring.

Saving a few quid is for Fords, not for Porkers IMHO and experience.

Can you remember which brand that pump was? Thanks.

There are reports about most of the cheaper ones leaking and letting go early if you dig online.

Its such a massively important component.

If a metal impeller one goes it chews up the surrounding metal in the engine block so you can never gain pressure there again. This means engine strip.

If a plastic impeller one goes the parts break off and disappear into the far corners of your cylinder heads. They can't be flushed out. This means engine strip.

The cheapest of the cheap are £70. You'll get a Porsche one from OPC with discount for about £220. Is it worth saving £150 on something so crucial?

I don't subscribe to the Porsche is automatically best rule, but in some cases it is.

If you can find a cheaper one that turns out to be a genuine one when it arrives like Wasz did then happy days. That's some good shopping. :thumb:

If it arrives and isn't a Porsche one though, how many will you have to order and send back before you find a Porsche one?

That's my take on it and just my 2p worth.

The VM part from Euro car parts / CP4L will be the genuine part. Thats what "VM" means.

VM = vehicle manufacturer.

I bought a "VM" RMS, IMS bearing cover seal and flywheel bolts from CP4L.

The RMS (latest revision) and IMS bearing cover seal came in with Porsche logos, stock codes and part numbers.

The flyheel bolts came direct from my local OPC.

Why pay the dealer more for the same thing?

This is an image of the "VM" water pump:

201330080.jpg

Looks like a plastic impeller to me.

I'm sure its the genuine article, for ~£150

I'm no expert in the aftermarket ones Wasz. :dont know: :D

This is my genuine one below.
Gold colored composite impeller and number cast in to body. Not the part number though. Maybe manufacturers ID number.

I'm sure some of the aftermarket ones are decent but there are just too many to choose from and they all claim to be "OE" or "OEM" and they can't all be.

I went round and round in circles until I thought "Sod it, £220 for peace of mind is small fry compared to what I spend on the car and how important it's role is."

Thousands of aftermarket ones are sold though with only a few horror stories, so odds are in the users favour to an extent. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back