Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Charging the battery on a 2016 991.1 GTS.

m33ufo

I've noticed that when I connect up my CTEK charger via the 12v outlet within the centre artmest, it appears to charge normally initially but soon after shuts down. Is the socket only live temporarily after turning the ignition off?

the 12v socket is only live for a limited period after the key is removed

but i assume you have the CTECK plugged to the mains ?

Do you have the socket in the footwell in your car? I've read that one stays live.

The CTEK comfort connect lead attached to the battery is another option.

911UK said:
the 12v socket is only live for a limited period after the key is removed

but i assume you have the CTECK plugged to the mains ?

Yes it would have to be plugged into the mains to charge the cars battery :mrgreen:

Magic919 said:
Do you have the socket in the footwell in your car? I've read that one stays live.

The CTEK comfort connect lead attached to the battery is another option.

I've used the comfort connect on other cars - going to the 12v outlet would be a little more convenient though - if it stays live.

I'm connected to the one in the centre armrest. I don't have the smokers pack so no cigarette lighter. I wasn't aware that there was one in the footwell - I'll investigate.

:thumbs:

Can someone point me in the right direction to the footwell 12v outlet? Can't see it on the drivers side - I had thought it might be behind the fuse box cover. Unfortunately the passenger side isn't so easy to access with my car in the garage.

:thumb:

Passenger footwell, like in the 997.

My final suggestion would be to connect to the usual socket and switch on charger, then turn off the car. I'm sure I've read that it can cause the socket to stay live.

Magic919 said:

My final suggestion would be to connect to the usual socket and switch on charger, then turn off the car. I'm sure I've read that it can cause the socket to stay live.

Worth a try. Thanks.

Footwell socket located and I'm plugged in - hopefully it won't switch off after 15 minutes!

Bummer....footwell socket switched off after 15 minutes.

Magic919 said:

Magic919 is right and I can confirm that on my 2012 991.1 C2S the socket will remain live if a CTEK charger is connected before it times out ( about 15 mis). I switch off the car but promptly connect the charger to the armrest socket and it happily charges away continuously.

I was unawre this socket timed out and switched off until I had the CTEK leads connected (but not plugged to the charger unit) so that I could measure the battery voltage. The first reading was fine but when I later tried I got no reading. If you unlock the car the socket again becomes live.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back