Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Urgent help Oil pump

ELA

Barcelona
Hi guys, I've little time to research right this second so I need a little help. Replaced my Oil pressure sensor last night due to what I hoped was an oil pressure indication problem. Nil fix. I decided to drive the car to work this morning just to check if it could simply potentially be an indication problem:

-oil px sits basically at 2BAR cold and doesn't change a great deal. When driving up to 4000rpm, oil px just drops slightly sometimes to 1BAR.

No abnormal unusual sounds but I have had a noise for some time so could be related.

My feeling is the oil pump is faulty. My question is; is this likely? from memory I've never heard of one failing before on a 996.

I did have a strage noise the other day following a start up with no oil px showing then a sudden rise but only to 2BAR. This was the first time this fault poped up. I think I best drive home carefully tonight and whip the oil pump off... Looks like Dinslaken in the 996 is off the cards :sad:

What I did with a previous car was get a cheapo "fast and furious" style pressure gauge and sender with t piece.

rigged that up and went for a drive keeping an eye on both gauges.

It just ruled out dodgy wiring or sender as strange things can happen when they get hot.

Turned out the dashpod on that car was faulty.

i may be wrong, but you cant just whip an oil pump off,

its a full strip down to change one or check one,

they are usually bullet proof unless debris from elsewhere destroys them,

they are mechanical items that run off the ims

pzero said:
Sender unit?

Sorry pzero, this sensor is what I have just replaced.

Palladium said:

Thanks Palladium, like I said, I've not had a chance to look into how they are driven by the engine. I just don't ever recollect ever reading of an oil pump failure on a 996 before hence me opening the question here first before digging out manuals...

There is a billet drive shaft sold by LN, which they say won't break. Which indicates that sometimes they might? Though they were talking about race applications. Otherwise oil pressure relief spring? At least that can be checked easily. Just unscrew the plunger from underneath the engine. Be prepared to catch oil though..

Hope it's ok ELA

Oil pressure relief valve spring broken?

Have read about this many times - and it's (apparently) relatively easy to get to and change.

On one of my rebuilds I fitted a billet drive shaft as I thought if they are available there must be a problem, it was cheap so didn't break the bank but in reality I have never heard of an oil pump problem on a M96 engine, its usually the sender or gauge.

There are two gears in the pump housing, one driven off the end of the IMS as mentioned, I would most probably be looking elsewhere for the this issue first though. A good start would be an independent gauge as mentioned by wasz

Oh no, hope you get it sorted, I've just finished my front centre radiator, been for road test and all good.
Regarding your oil issue, are you saying you have pressure on the gauge of 1 to 2bar but light is staying on? ( I feel 2bar is good)
If so I would say you have a wiring fault between the sender and light.
I don't know if this may help but have a look
https://youtu.be/sYUSN3Webrw
Hope you sort it Richard 👍
Paul

Oil pump is at the front of the engine .

You need to fit a gauge and actually read off the pressure .

Pict of a relief valve failure as well .

Attachments

• pb030035_273.jpg
    pb030035_273.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 3,924
  • oil_pump_158.jpg
    oil_pump_158.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 3,924
deMort said:

DeMort, is this the same on a 996 turbo, Metzger engine? And where is the relief spring location?
Thanks

Palladium said:

Actually the primary pump is accessible without strip down. You need to support the engine, remove the rear engine hanger and it's right there. I had mine off this winter for inspection. Pretty robust setup, I'd be surprised if it failed. If the drive shaft sheared, I would expect zero oil pressure.

diverzeusy said:
deMort said:

DeMort, is this the same on a 996 turbo, Metzger engine? And where is the relief spring location?
Thanks

Sorry i missed this first time around ..

Im not 100% sure to be honest .. ive never had a reason to remove it .. looked at a couple of 996 but never a turbo .

I think its in the picture below ..

Attachments

• oil_109.jpg
    oil_109.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 3,648
Thanks for the input guys ;)
Finally after getting Dinslaken out the way then just returning back from working out in Bahrain I managed to get '5 minutes' on the car. Here is a little video including a description:

Any further ideas gratefully received ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biel
Back