Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fuel economy is terrible!

Raptorace

I've had my 991.1 Carerra S for 6 weeks now I'm in staggered how bad the fuel economy is.
In my previous car, a 997.2 I would achieve an average 23mpg, with mixed driving spirited and cruising. In the 991.1 I'm getting 18mpg.

I'm not one that normally worries about fuel economy, but I expected better as it's frustrating making so many visits to the petrol station.

So just wondered what mpg others get and if I have some kind of fault?

Attachments

• f77798df_a800_4c7b_a6e6_cf8c1776c70d_120.jpeg
    f77798df_a800_4c7b_a6e6_cf8c1776c70d_120.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8,952
could it be the pcv valve/hose, are you getting a check engine light?

Raptorace said:
So just wondered what mpg others get and if I have some kind of fault?

Not enough but who cares :dont know:

:grin:

Beats driving a euro box blue efficiency DPF Vegan electric (excluding Tesla) CO2 free ecoFLEX 0.9 litre green thing :thumb:

my 997.2 only does 18 ave but I do have mods on it , are you using superunleaded in it. :thumb:

I've always been impressed with the economy. I did a 130 mile run of M, A and B roads yesterday (no town stuff) and got 28 mpg. On long steady motorway runs I can get over 35 mpg - no doubts thanks to 7th gear overdrive. All figures based on the car's computer figures.

No idea on 'hoons'.

From 4 years of driving my C4S, my experience is :-
In town, achieve about 23mpg (always have Start/Stop engaged).
On fast A-roads/dual carriageways about 27mpg.
On long motorway journies, about 32mpg.

So, 18mpg would seem low, but really depends on the type of driving/route. Worth getting the car checked for any stored faults.

Thanks guys. Took it in for a check today and apparently all is normal on the diagnostics so I guess it's just the way it is. I won't worry about it too much!

I was always pretty impressed with the economy on my 991.1 C4s. I used to get 23mpg or so around town and easily over 30 on longer journeys. It was night and day better than the e92 M3 it replaced which couldn't break 27 mpg downhill in neutral slip-streaming lorries!

The 991.2 is better again when cruising and in traffic (although only marginally) but drops to a similar level as the 99.1 when 'exercised'.

Another factor might be PDK Vs manual .... and if PDK whether you drive it in manual mode. If you leave them in auto they shift up very quickly to top given half the chance. If you hold lower gears in PDK or have a manual that might account for it.

On a track day at oulton park a few years back I managed a whopping 6.8 mpg from my 997 turbo :eek: so youre clearly not trying hard enough...... :grin:

fuel economy

My 997.1 last week driving to Scotland according to the computer averaged 26mpg virtually all on the motorway at a pretty constant speed ! on cruise control.
Pretty good I thought as I certainly was not doing 56mph for better fuel consumption

I find at motorway speeds 32 mpg is quite easily achievable

once got 40 MPG from a Cayman S at motorways speeds

My C2s returns 22/24 mpg around town and
28/32 on a 50/100 mile trip. This is virtually the same as the
Previous C2.
Ps I was on M3 Torque forum with a CSL
And assorted E92 cars! Hi

I got between 18 and 23mpg on my 997.1, and i'm getting between 26 and 32mpg on my 991.1. I have been extremely impressed with efficiency on the 991.

I would definitely be suspicious of your lower numbers.

Hey guys. Just a quick update on this. I've just come back from a European road trip, 3000 miles in 10 days lots of motorway and lots of alpine twisty fun stuff. Over the whole journey I averaged 24mpg.

What's interesting is I did the same trip last year in my 997.2 in which I averaged 26.5 mpg.

I don't know how they tested the MPG on the 991 and decided it had much improved MPG, but I guess VW may have been involved, or maybe Dianne Abbott did the calculations 😂😂

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back