Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dodgy PSE actuator success story! DIY for the win!

The return of Marty Wild

Got the dreaded PSE actuator issue, the rod has snapped at the ball joint.

Have looked online in some depth, seen quite a few threads on here about it.

Pretty sure Porker doesn't sell the 987 ones separately but a 997 one can be fettled to fit.

Any advice or parts welcomed, cheers! May have to weld the one that is on there.

Indeed it does, have seen that thread thanks, Phil.

It might come to trying his method, figured sourcing a new unit or welding to perhaps be a touch easier.

Do you have one by chance, Sir? :lol:

Sorry I havent mate, but it may be worth asking on here as a few guys recently swapped out PSE for aftermarket units in the topgear group guy :thumb:

Hi,
Bought complete valves on eBay, all in stainless work very well and about £40 notes each, just means cutting the original out that's the negative side of it.

Cheers, Phil. Think I read somewhere that TG use the same manufacturer for their switchable exhaust actuators. So could maybe approach them for the part?!

@ Porky - I have seen them, you mean replacing the flapper and everything I take it?! Literally cutting into the exhaust tubing?

Yes, it's a pain but they are good units, I got them welded in mine by PCW and it went really well .
Just a thought, to overcome the issue.
Other thought is a internal threaded swivel joint and run a die down the rod from the original if it's possible

Appreciate your thoughts. There is an example where someone got tricky with a die etc....

Kinda want to only take the bumper off once, but it might be a case of getting my broken one off. Putting the car back together and trying to fix the faulty unit.

A mate of mine is handy with a welder but I'm not sure that's a suitable fix without home seeing the situation.

The return of Marty Wild said:
Appreciate your thoughts. There is an example where someone got tricky with a die etc....

Kinda want to only take the bumper off once, but it might be a case of getting my broken one off. Putting the car back together and trying to fix the faulty unit.

A mate of mine is handy with a welder but I'm not sure that's a suitable fix without home seeing the situation.

Yes give Alex at Topgear in Bridport a call hes very approachable and will do his best to help, let him know your off the forum :thumb:

Pretty sure it was TG, I'll give him a call.

Been on the phone to OPC Cambridge, useless isn't the word. Was unable to find on the system that the 987 Cayman even had PSE as an option. Let alone tell me if I can get the valve actuator as a separate part.

I gave him the 997 part number, it's coming in at £96 incl VAT.

Have spoken to my mate with a workshop/ramp, he reckons we can drop the silencer off and he will be able to weld the rod back onto the cup joint.

Watch this space!

Worth a try to save £100 less a beer or two for your mate... should weld back together, just give it all a good clean up and lube afterwards.

Just went under the car for the first time with someone sat in there to toggle 'Sports' on and off.

Unbelievably, the other actuator isn't working now either. The rod is intact, but when the valve is actuated, it is only moving a tiny bit. Which I think suggests the vacuum feed and diaphragm are most likely working, but something is jammed up and not letting the actuator to do its job.

Very annoying, will get in there at the weekend and check them out. My mate is confident he can weld up the one with the broken rod, just hope we can free up the other one.

Do we think its safest to run around with the PSE off now, so the sticky actuator isn't trying to push against anything. As it stands, I have cable tied the broken rod side so the butterfly is open, but the other one is stuck on shut at the moment.

A right bloody mess in short.

Robertb said:
Worth a try to save £100 less a beer or two for your mate... should weld back together, just give it all a good clean up and lube afterwards.

Cheers, Rob. I'm almost more worried about the other side now, swear it was working on Friday.

Spoke to a chap from Tower Porsche in London, he said there's probably some corrosion in the ball joint of the sticky one. If I can pop the joint off the ball and clean up the parts, he reckons it will probably free up. Trick is to not damage the actuator popping the fixing apart.

I would keep it switched off for the time being, just to be on the safe side. Do the 987s default to open or closed?

I have times when I am not convinced mine is working as it should (sometimes seems loud even in quiet mode!)... one of those jobs to do as I suspect it needs a good clean up and lube.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back