Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Put my mind at ease! 997.2

pcbung

Trainee
Could someone post me a sound clip of their 997.2 from the rear offside please? I want to compare it to mine.

Mines got an exhaust so won't be any good. If you're hearing a ticking noise, they all do that.

I think I'm worrying myself tbh, I've just got the car running 100% and my mind is looking for the next fault!

I think what's made the ticking sound more apparent is having the roof down! You sit at the lights in a built up area "tick tick tick tick tick"

Does the ticking come from the offside? (Drivers side UK)

I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to confirm what the actual noise is, but mine does it and every other 997.2 I've heard does it.
If, after a spirited drive, you smell oil from the drivers side rear wheel well, again don't stress. Breather pipes are located on that side.
Enjoy the car Mate, I could have done with your car today.
:thumb:

Ticking is much more apparent when you lift the boot lid, I suspect your hearing it drivers side as your sat drivers side in a convertible? Perfectly normal on a 997.2 :thumb:

I'll post one up tomorrow.

Loving the car, it kept up well against a new AMG C63 yesterday which had a good bhp advantage!

Demort- whilst we're on irrational fears, if I'm accelerating, slowly at about 2.9k rpm, I get almost like a powerboost shove in the back, and the exhaust gets noticeably louder. I'm assuming that's the second cam coming into play?
It seems to be more prominent since I've installed the Tubi exhaust. Would the exhaust have anything to do with it or is it just a placebo effect?

FZP - Mine has this at roughly the same rpm, I'm sure it's the cam changing. For me it's more like a jerk, annoying when your coming out of a junction when engines cold and you lef off the throttle.

FZP said:
If, after a spirited drive, you smell oil from the drivers side rear wheel well, again don't stress. Breather pipes are located on that side.
:thumb:
That puts my mind at rest too thanks ... I thought the smell was rubber caused by the tyre catching

Yes I thought it was a rubber smell too, I had my nose in the arch thinking what is that, only had it once or twice since I had the car.

mine has carghraphic and does tone change and slight jerk at about 3k revs often wondered what it was thought it might have been something left over from the original PSE but the cams make more sense .

the ticking noise is just to remind you its a Porsche :grin: I was told it was the lifters.

The rubber smell is due to the placement of the exhausts by the tyres. In use they get very hot and rubber scrubbed off the tyres gets cooked.
If you don't get this happening, try harder!

Sounds just like mine, and every other 997.2 I've heard. Nothing to see here.. .....carry on :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmacleod
Back