Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

strange deposit in coolant

maldren

Having failed to drain all the coolant, I decided to flush it out until it ran clear then refill with new G30.

On the final rinse the last bucket of drained water was sparkling in yesterday's bright sunshine. At the bottom of the bucket I found what looked fine copper glitter. Any ideas where it might have come from?

Attachments

• dsc02086_edited_103.jpg
    dsc02086_edited_103.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 2,352
Have you removed the water pump and or checked the pulley for play?

Looks like you pumped has either failed now or in the past and this is the debris I'd expect to see from a copper impeller version lunching itself (if it's not a plastic OE pump).

Pull pump for piece of mind

I've put an LTT in but can't see why that would do it. The metal flakes weren't visible in the coolant I took out (it was too cloudy green) but I've let it settle and I'm going to look in the bottom of it for any further deposits.

I think Harv is bang on the money with his theory ..

I sat here trying to think whats copper in the cooling system .. water pump .. probably an old failure and not something ive ever seen but to be honest i dont look at the coolant in that detail .

rad weld .. again what Harv said .. it looks more like copper and who would ever use it .

Glad no-one's come up with a copper danger point in the cooling system, Harv/Iain I think you're probably right, thanks.

Nice new clean antifreeze in place so I'll move on.

Didn't have copper grease on your ltt did you?

alex yates said:
Didn't have copper grease on your ltt did you?

Only a tiny smear on one of the bolts that was slightly corroded, I did wonder whether there could be any copper in the new thermostat but there was quite a lot of copper in the bucket. I will look in the bottom of the container with the old antifreeze today.

I also need to decide how to dispose of the old antifreeze, I'll probably start with a trip to the council dump on Monday to see if they'll take it, sadly I think I already know the answer....

There are a few coolant additives that have copper looking particles in them...

Bars leaks liquid copper amongst others..

Basically,someone has put a stop leak in your coolant system...

As said Mike, it looks like K seal or similar. Maybe just a tight previous owner trying to stop a weeping corroded rad.

As long as your rads are good now and temps ok, then I wouldn't worry.

Yes think you're all right and I certainly feel happier with clean G30 in the car.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back