Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Scuttle rust repair work

Jack Frost

Hockenheim
I know its been talked about before but I'm now looking for recommendations ideally down south. I'd like to get an idea of what was done and how much I can expect to pay but more immportantly - are you happy with it.

I know it's vile to talk about money so PM if need be.

This is a genuine request for information as I would like to get this sorted soon.

Thanks

Precision did my rear screen. Very happy with the results.

So far I have been quoted £2200 from Precision not including any blending in of the doors and rear wings. This is for scuttle repair and roof painting.

Scuttle repair

I paid £1300 for sandblasting window surrounds,rust treatment and repainting scuttle and roof at Performance Body Shop.

Attachments

• img_6984_341.jpeg
    img_6984_341.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 4,453
so what is the definition of rust repair work?

to me it can only mean cutting out and welding, as the bubbles/rust are coming from behind,

the only time it can be addressed without cutting and welding is when its minor surface rust, from a scratch or similar, this can be dremelled off back to bare metal, then primed and painted.

i speak from experience, knowing that rust cannot be reversed, stopped, neutralised, slowed down, or chemically altered back to metal, rust is rust, metal is metal.

anybody that claims otherwise is either lying or dreaming.

Scuttle repair

My car had bubbles showing round the windscreen in a couple of places. I was warned by bodyshop that depending on what they found it might mean cutting out old metal and welding in new. It was only surface so it was sandblasted,treated with fe123 as an extra precaution,epoxy primed,primed and top coated. 2 years ago and still looks like new!

Mine has just been done with a shed load of other work. It is due back next week sometime.
Tognol'a bodyshop did the work and from the reports from Mr.Glasman(993 screen guru) car look's like new.
If you are near Ealing you are more then welcome to have a look.
Costs wise it will be hard for me to break out due to all the other work but depending on how bad it is I would budget £1,500 - £2,500. Upper end would take into account the extra blending etc.

its just a matter of time,

rust cannot be cured, rust is a chemical reaction, once it starts, covering it does nothing,

never touch a recent respray unless documented with all cutting out and welding recorded,

i used to believe it aswell.

Another quote has come in at £1750 +vat. No blending in required - which opens up another question - why are some needing to blend in panels ? are they unable to match the paint that's already there? This doesn't fill me with confidence.

Blending in depends very much on what was there to start with. Reds are tricky because they fade badly and there are several shades of Guards Red. Metallics also are a problem, the ubiquitous grey not so much. I must be very lucky or the car has had many years of tlc because i have no screen surround corrosion or chassis legs and it's a '94 car. It did go Guards Pink though and required a full back to metal respray, a great but expensive job at 9M after a really crap and cheap respray by a firm that no longer exist. (Thank God)

I had mine done back in 2015 by a bodyshop here in Spain...... cost €200. Windscreen out, rust sorted, repainted and all put back together. Today it is still perfect and the colour is spot on. I just don't get some of the UK prices :dont know:

ATB :)

Attachments

• repaired_scuttle_3_lo_rez_978.jpg
    repaired_scuttle_3_lo_rez_978.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 4,119
  • windscreen_rust_btm_lhs_lo_rez_163.jpg
    windscreen_rust_btm_lhs_lo_rez_163.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 4,119
decgraham said:
I had mine done back in 2015 by a bodyshop here in Spain...... cost €200. Windscreen out, rust sorted, repainted and all put back together. Today it is still perfect and the colour is spot on. I just don't get some of the UK prices :dont know:

ATB :)

I'd be booking myself on a road trip to Spain :bandit:

:grin:

Mine's with Ty initially to sort out rust in the trailing edge of the front wings and a bubble at the base of the rear screen under the rubber. Then my man maths turned into a full glass out respray...

I did get to ogle a Singer car that was in for some work though.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back