Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My adventure with 911 996 C4S

77szymon

Hi to all 996 lovers!

I have presented myself 911 996 C4S few weeks ago with tons of issues and since I have read 911uk forum about 996's ( very informative) I have decide to share my ownership with you as my plan is to keep this car roadworthy and most jobs must be done by me therefore hope my topics will help others.

First I have to point, it is not my colour shame but I know I will never be able source one so decide to go for whatever life bring me to my door:)
.... my colour yellow with black leather finished with yellow seat belts stitching painted back seats and console....

My plan for C4S was to go bananas with it more track focused car.... GT2 spoiler, cage, convert to RWD, slim down :lol: , but I have find this car so nice and rewarding I don't think any of that will happen and I will keep it original as family cruiser :D

Little things that surprised me the most:
1. audio... not that I'm in to listen since I prefer music from PSE but hey that BOSE system make me :Dance-Tap:
2. road noise inside, so loud.... no wonder BOSE system came with so many speakers and subwoofer
3. rust... I didn't except to find so much ginger friend on this car.... my 1988 BMW 635csi exhaust never done it looks better,
4. way how car follow my orders :worship:
5. changing to second gear could ended up losing driving licence even on motorway - sorry smart motorway :hand:
6. female attention... I'm guessing it is me :floor:

Small jobs to do in near future:

1. oil change,
2. check all water drainage
3. driver heated seat not working red light flashing..... cable hanging loose between backrest and seat
4. engine mounts.... the engine shakes entire car :what:
5. gear box mount and short shifter
6. clean up interior
7. polish front lights as mine are yellowish
8. polish car
9. change number plate from my S to 911- PD55 HHH but still not sure about it

Big jobs to do:

1. gear box out as I have small leak, that mean I will endup with IMS RMS
2. front bumper screming for new paint and probably hood will follow, way too many stonechips to cover up
3. N/S rear wheel arch rust
4. leaking exhoust

Welcome! Sound nice any photos?

Look forward to seeing how you get on with those issues, as I have the same sling a longer list.

As for female attention - must be you as I don't get any :wink:

Congratulations on car , look forward to the updates, it will be a never ending list :D

Szymon mate - I spotted your car on the internet the other night where it was for sale - you got an absolute bargain if you ask me and the car looks amazing!!!

The jobs you talk about are just wear and tear with age and I didn't see anything too serious to worry about looking at it last week. When buying these cars 'blind' like you did, you're always going to get something that has a few little projects but the cost of parts on these things and how easy it is to do makes it a great buy and also the reward for making it mint yourself is great!!

1st job though - check out your thermostat and and if not already fit - get a Low Temperature thermostat. There's plenty to read about on here about bore scoring and reducing the risk of your car getting it. :thumb:

Just for other members to see how poor condition your car is in (not) :grin: , here are the photos I took of it in Clitheroe the other week:

k0ULz9x.jpg

dDe6YBw.jpg

F8Jsryj.jpg

As for your oil leak - this is very very common on these cars Szymon. Mine was the same when I bought it. If it is only very small (no puddle on the drive) then it will not be doing the car any harm. Most owners (self included) wait until it needs a new clutch and then fix the problem then. Usually RMS but with mine it was the IMS cover plate leaking. When we fixed this we also removed the outer seal from the bearing so that fresh engine oil would lubricate it and also checked that it was still in mint condition.

Here was my thread on it. Don't bother reading past page 1:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=108552

Forget about the number plate. You can't stick that on a 996.

I thought I recognised that reg. plate - it's almost identical to Osh's plate. He's also AE53 OY*

Thank you Alex for info and awesome pictures as I haven't got any nice one YET!!
Alex temp on dashboard is always below 80 but I will check thermostat.

Magic919 do you think it will be too much POSSHHH on 911

Today on way back from York I have burn a bit clutch, smell and blue smoke :damn: , M1 to join M62 short tunnels on second one I decide to listen to engine revs, on last rev engage gear to quick :nooo: luckily apart some smoke and smell nothing happened lesson learned, all this happened as I was still very excited after Lamborghini Thrill Experience, 6 laps in Gallardo was a great fun, so much quicker then my 996 :drive: I have to check my wife recordings and if any good I will drop on yt.

My option list and history:

Attachments

• option_list_190.jpg
    option_list_190.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 7,880
  • 2018_04_05_121553_513.jpg
    2018_04_05_121553_513.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 7,880
  • 2018_04_05_121610_283.jpg
    2018_04_05_121610_283.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 7,880
Porsche 911 996 C4S driver heated seat problem solved.

Job took me with removing passenger seat to clean floor, around 2h difficulty 1of5.

FIRST disconnect battery!!!!

I have removed seat and dismantle backrest. I think someone did try to repair it before but didn't know where wires are on backrest so decide to leave it.

To find wires I have separated white fabric from foam, big piece of it as I was struggle to find one wire on left side, after soldering I have apply glue in spray between fabric and foam put it all back together and enjoy nice warm seat!!!!

Attachments

• soldered_402.jpg
    soldered_402.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 7,858
  • soldered_2_475.jpg
    soldered_2_475.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 7,858
  • soldered_1_211.jpg
    soldered_1_211.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 7,858
  • soldered_3_110.jpg
    soldered_3_110.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 7,858
You can't put a 55 plate on a 53 car as it would make it look newer, which is not permitted.

77szymon said:
Porsche 911 996 C4S driver heated seat problem solved.

Job took me with removing passenger seat to clean floor, around 2h difficulty 1of5.

FIRST disconnect battery!!!!

I have removed seat and dismantle backrest. I think someone did try to repair it before but didn't know where wires are on backrest so decide to leave it.

To find wires I have separated white fabric from foam, big piece of it as I was struggle to find one wire on left side, after soldering I have apply glue in spray between fabric and foam put it all back together and enjoy nice warm seat!!!!

Don't forget to put the key into position two before disconnecting the battery or you'll have a ringing ear from the alarm!

Looks like a nice car though, congrats.
BK :thumb:

[quote="alex yates"1st job though - check out your thermostat and and if not already fit - get a Low Temperature thermostat. There's plenty to read about on here about bore scoring and reducing the risk of your car getting it. :thumb: [/quote]

Spot on advice. As a new owner of a 996 C4S I had a LTT fitted along with full coolant flush (wasn't clear when last done and what type of mixture) as a preventative measure for the future.

I noticed immediately a change my temp gauge behaviour. It sat in the same place before and never really moved. It now sits a mm further to the left and I can hear the fans coming on far sooner and often. Even coming off the motorway the fans kick in on the slip road... Nice to know it's all doing its job properly.

Protecting the engines now they're older is good mitigation.

My engine shakes the car at idle too - wobbles the pass seat if no one is in it.
Engine mounts didn't help.

I think it's probably 'character'

77szymon said:
Hi to all 996 lovers!

First I have to point, it is not my colour shame but I know I will never be able source one so decide to go for whatever life bring me to my door:)
.... my colour yellow with black leather finished with yellow seat belts stitching painted back seats and console....

Welcome brother :friends:

I too love the C4S in SY but you're in good company mate - Basalt is still awesome :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back