Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 steering wheel refurbishment / refresh

Boba fett

Gents, I am getting my steering wheel done, and there are so many options. I bought the Gen 2 wheel as well, and found the wheel so much bigger, so I put my my Gen 1 Sports wheel back on.

I have seen a few pictures, but posts are all over the place.

I have seen some really nice profiled, square bottom ones as well, however, I am warming to Perforated sides, smooth top and bottom, red hour marker and black stitching (don't like the look of the colours stitching even the grey, and having the Silver bit done Piano black.

So what are you thoughts, is there anything you wish you had done extra or given a second chance changed.

Just had this done in the M, not sure it will look to modern in the 997.

Thoughts please... :thumb:

This was from the "Royal steering wheels" thread:

DucatiRob said:
Had mine done by Jack two years ago and it still looks new! 2mm will make all the difference, it's what I had too.

Great value for the price :thumb:

IMG_1558.jpg

[/url]

Looks 8) to me :thumb:

I am looking to have my wheel done also soon. When I went from my BMW M-Sport into my 997 one of my first immediate impressions was how thin the 997 steering wheel is. But then again the M-Sport wheel on my BMW was a very chunky wheel.

My immediate thought was to get the wheel made thicker as part of the refurb. But I have heard several people say that they have done the same and they think its actually lost some of the feel of the car and they now regret it. So I am undecided! Just a thought!

I know I'm biased but a really like the Sports Design wheel in leather (I'm not a big fan of Alcantara). It has a nice feel and a flat bottom ;-) .There are versions with paddles for Tiptronic/PDK but mine is a manual. In my view the wheel is clean and elegant and has no multifunction buttons or heating etc. although these are also available.

The PN of my new wheel (see photo) was 99704440223A10 and was UKP 636 from Design911 plus VAT. However I read somewhere these are now difficult to source and you may need to source the equivalent 991 PN

If you have a 997.2 wheel and a manual and don't want MF buttons etc I think you will be able to use the existing airbag and simply replace the wheel without any major issues. But there are lots of threads on here with more detail if you do a search.

Attachments

• 997_wheel_lr_127.jpg
    997_wheel_lr_127.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 5,289
I've just had my gen1 wheel done by jack at royal steering wheels and am very happy with the result. I went with plain nappa leather all round and 2mn thicker. Although 2mn doesn't sound like much it does make a difference to the feel of the wheel in your hands.

dp400 said:
Although 2mn doesn't sound like much it does make a difference to the feel of the wheel in your hands.

That's what I tell the Mrs every night....I mean, once a year on my birthday :sad:

Boba I know you seen mine on here. I love what jack at royal steering wheel done but the best upgrade for me is the change from silver facia to soft touch mat basalt by wicked coatings👍

HSC911 said:
dp400 said:
Although 2mn doesn't sound like much it does make a difference to the feel of the wheel in your hands.

That's what I tell the Mrs every night....I mean, once a year on my birthday :sad:

Its all about the Girth :thumb:

silvermilnec said:
Boba I know you seen mine on here. I love what jack at royal steering wheel done but the best upgrade for me is the change from silver facia to soft touch mat basalt by wicked coatings👍

Pictures please mate :thumb:

Here you go, the soft touch is well, so soft!!

Attachments

• 1dbd4b2b_9bea_4279_ac61_6edb28386c02_155.jpeg
    1dbd4b2b_9bea_4279_ac61_6edb28386c02_155.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 5,123
Boba fett said:
silvermilnec said:

Does look nice what did you have done black the spokes?
I was sending s big order to whickid of console and seat backs to be done on body colour I just added in the facial from the steering wheel, it makes a big difference imo :thumbs:

silvermilnec said:
Boba fett said:
silvermilnec said:

Does look nice what did you have done black the spokes?
I was sending s big order to whickid of console and seat backs to be done on body colour I just added in the facial from the steering wheel, it makes a big difference imo :thumbs:

I see, looks good, just found that wheel to big compared to the Sports model, I am having mine done Piano black :thumb:

Jack at Royal is doing mine on Friday, alcantara, plus gear knob, gaiter and handbrake. Quite reasonable price in my view too. I agree the standard rim on the 997.1 feels a little thin. I'll let you know how I get on on Friday.... :D

Just returned from seeing Jack - really nice guy and certainly knows his stuff. He's done the wheel, knob, gaiter, handbrake and is also able to do the centre console top too, coming in the post next week. Massively improved feel on the three contact points of wheel, knob and handbrake. If you are thinking about getting this done I wouldn't hesitate. :drive:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back