Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Manual cars scarce!

BChivs

Spa-Francorchamps
Why is if you were not in the market to buy, you would likely come across dozens of cars priced well, but as soon as you have cash burning a hole in your pocket there's nothing about and you end up staring at the same cars!

My biggest surprise is the way the market is swamped with tiptronic cars! :dont know:
Now I know the tiptronic box suits some people's needs, and some even just prefer it, but the general consensus is that a manual car is far better, far more desirable and commands a premium. With this in mind why are there 10 tiptronic cars to every manual on the market! Surely when they were new this wold have still been the general opinion and would make me think a manual car would be more common?

2007 was the last time Porsche GB sold more 911 manuals than Auto's

in 2017, only 18% of Porsche 911 sales were manuals

What is it you are looking for? I don't know about the 911 but with many cars the manuals were not more common at all when new. It is a very different market when the car is a 15 year old weekend car when it was bought new as an everyday commuting car.

MC

MisterCorn said:
What is it you are looking for? I don't know about the 911 but with many cars the manuals were not more common at all when new. It is a very different market when the car is a 15 year old weekend car when it was bought new as an everyday commuting car.

MC

I would like a turbo really be it a 996 or 997. Manual are cars are super slim on the ground and the ones out there are silly money. I don't see how a gearbox variation adds £15-20k to the asking price! It's hard to justify.

Low mileage Tip 996 Turbos are £38-42k, yet manuals are £45-60k! Likewise, 997 Turbos are £45-52k Tip, yet £55-70k manual.

I'm looking most nights for new pork, but not much is popping up new. I've even increased my budget slightly for the right car.

Ideally I'd like a sub 50k car with a manual box up to £48k for a 996 or up to £55-58k for a 997.

I'd consider a nice manual 997.2 S but would need to be a nice spec car in manual for max £50k.

A classic case of demand vs supply.

Far more Tips/PDKs were sold new compared to manual cars but for a weekend car several years down the line 3 pedal cars are seen as more desirable. It's nothing to do with them being better - they're just different.

Add in the fact that autos were more expensive to buy new and you can see why us 2 pedal fans are laughing out loud. :grin:

BChivs said:
I would like a turbo really be it a 996 or 997. Manual are cars are super slim on the ground and the ones out there are silly money. I don't see how a gearbox variation adds £15-20k to the asking price! It's hard to justify.

Low mileage Tip 996 Turbos are £38-42k, yet manuals are £45-60k! Likewise, 997 Turbos are £45-52k Tip, yet £55-70k manual.

I'm looking most nights for new pork, but not much is popping up new. I've even increased my budget slightly for the right car.

Ideally I'd like a sub 50k car with a manual box up to £48k for a 996 or up to £55-58k for a 997.

I'd consider a nice manual 997.2 S but would need to be a nice spec car in manual for max £50k.

Seems the search is now for a turbo rather than a C4S. Good choice.
Manual 996 Turbos can be had in your budget but probably high milers.

Good 997.1 and 997.2 turbo cars at the mileage you want are provably going to be extremely scarce in your budget.

Consider that 996 Turbos not that long back could be had for less than £30k and whilst ownership was to be had by some at those prices, the maintenance might have been a stretch too far for some and items deferred and then selling it on with spend required.

The tiptronic is a good box and your budget will get you into a good auto box turbo. Drive one and decide for yourself.

The manual cars do command a premium and is the only car for me in a 996 turbo. I saw a fair few auto cars but held out for a manual. There was a premium then but now the premium has increased.

A auto 996 turbo removes the risks you faced with the C4S and might be a good choice for you. As others have said, far more 996 turbo cars were sold with auto box than manual cars. But don't discount the fact that the turbo is a high maintenance car if you want to keep it to standard as it ages.

Both tiptronic and manual box have their own issues - the former with oil leaks that require a gearbox drop and the latter with synchros and bearing wear that require a gearbox strip and rebuild.

Choose carefully whichever you go for and remember the term 'cheap' and 996 turbo are mutually exclusive - ask my Indy and he will tell you he sees more dogs than good 'uns and often bought without an inspection and £5k work needed at first service under new ownership. Some owners need smelling salts to resuscitate them when he gives them the bad news and they realise they bought a dog!

I think the budget you have will get you into a good tiptronic 996.
But its your choice, budget and preference at the end of the day that will decide what you buy.

cheshire911 said:
Seems the search is now for a turbo rather than a C4S. Good choice.
Manual 996 Turbos can be had in your budget but probably high milers.

Good 997.1 and 997.2 turbo cars at the mileage you want are provably going to be extremely scarce in your budget.

Consider that 996 Turbos not that long back could be had for less than £30k and whilst ownership was to be had by some at those prices, the maintenance might have been a stretch too far for some and items deferred and then selling it on with spend required.

The tiptronic is a good box and your budget will get you into a good auto box turbo. Drive one and decide for yourself.

The manual cars do command a premium and is the only car for me in a 996 turbo. I saw a fair few auto cars but held out for a manual. There was a premium then but now the premium has increased.

A auto 996 turbo removes the risks you faced with the C4S and might be a good choice for you. As others have said, far more 996 turbo cars were sold with auto box than manual cars. But don't discount the fact that the turbo is a high maintenance car if you want to keep it to standard as it ages.

Both tiptronic and manual box have their own issues - the former with oil leaks that require a gearbox drop and the latter with synchros and bearing wear that require a gearbox strip and rebuild.

Choose carefully whichever you go for and remember the term 'cheap' and 996 turbo are mutually exclusive - ask my Indy and he will tell you he sees more dogs than good 'uns and often bought without an inspection and £5k work needed at first service under new ownership. Some owners need smelling salts to resuscitate them when he gives them the bad news and they realise they bought a dog!

I think the budget you have will get you into a good tiptronic 996.
But its your choice, budget and preference at the end of the day that will decide what you buy.

I wouldn't rule out a good 996C4S but keeping my options open really at the moment. I think if I were to go C4S I will just accept the fact I will need to put a rainy day fund to one side.
I have never really got on with Auto cars....not saying they are not as good, but not for me. I'd like to drive one just to see, but I've never been a fan and ev3n drive a manual as my daily.
I've increased my budget now to what I think is a good amount to get into a nice car. They are out there it's just a case of finding a realistically priced one as I do believe many dealers have jumped on the old pricing bad wagon. If I'd been a week quicker getting back to 911V I would have bought their 996T which was a 45k manual car for the high side of £46k, which is fair.

I would be happy with a 997.2 C2S/C4S manual, 996/997TT, 996C4S manual, and keep an open search criteria when looking but don't want to pay over the odds on some optimistic dealer prices.

At these price points I would hold out and get exactly what you really want, if you are going to keep the car for a while you will always regret it.

I have done this and regretted it every single day, although you might still have a good car, once the initial honeymoon period has worn off, the regrets start.

Good loved ones are about, but getting important things like model, colour, gearbox, are so important with a 911.

You waited for the right wife, so wait for the right mistress :thumb:

BChivs said:
.......... I have never really got on with Auto cars....not saying they are not as good, but not for me. I'd like to drive one just to see, but I've never been a fan and ev3n drive a manual as my daily.

I'm not trying to persuade you but if you do test a Tiptronic make sure you give it a good run in 'M' mode rather than just 'D'.

More importantly, if you do fancy a Turbo don't test drive a Tiptronic 996C4S first. They're totally different cars and the auto box actually suits the Turbo.

Even more importantly, don't test drive any Turbo unless you really are budgeting to buy and own one. Once you drive one there's no going back. :grin:

Boba fett said:
At these price points I would hold out and get exactly what you really want, if you are going to keep the car for a while you will always regret it.

I have done this and regretted it every single day, although you might still have a good car, once the initial honeymoon period has worn off, the regrets start.

Good loved ones are about, but getting important things like model, colour, gearbox, are so important with a 911.

You waited for the right wife, so wait for the right mistress :thumb:

:agree:

Particularly if your looking at long term ownership.

Something will eventually come along, granted you may have to compromise a little, options, perhaps even color, but compromising on a gearbox is fundamental as oppose to superficial.

If your in no rush I may have a 997T for sale in a few months! - PM if you want details.

BChivs said:
I wouldn't rule out a good 996C4S but keeping my options open really at the moment. I think if I were to go C4S I will just accept the fact I will need to put a rainy day fund to one side.
I have never really got on with Auto cars....not saying they are not as good, but not for me. I'd like to drive one just to see, but I've never been a fan and ev3n drive a manual as my daily.
I've increased my budget now to what I think is a good amount to get into a nice car. They are out there it's just a case of finding a realistically priced one as I do believe many dealers have jumped on the old pricing bad wagon. If I'd been a week quicker getting back to 911V I would have bought their 996T which was a 45k manual car for the high side of £46k, which is fair.

I would be happy with a 997.2 C2S/C4S manual, 996/997TT, 996C4S manual, and keep an open search criteria when looking but don't want to pay over the odds on some optimistic dealer prices.

You have decided it's a manual car that you want. That's a key decision.
I think it will help you further if you narrow down the choices on which you are keeping an open mind. The budget you have will get you into a 997.2 car and a 996 turbo car with manual gearbox but not sub 50k miles. You'll likely find something in your price range with around 60k - 70k miles and possibly a private sale so a PPI is an absolute must if buying privately.

The arithmetic in keeping an open mind in a 996 C4S with a reserve fund set aside should it need a rebuild is questionable. If you have to set that fund aside, you might as well put it to buying a 997.2 or 996 turbo.

Consider narrowing the choice between normal aspiration and Turbo. The two are chalk and cheese. As T8 points out, don't try a test drive in a turbo without the funds - you will want to buy it after the test drive. As my avatar states:
"once bitten, forever smitten"

Finally, as some encouragement, time will get you into the right car for you.
Take your time. Prices are softer now and so you have an opportunity to get on the turbo or 997.2 ownership. Keep the funds ready and place a refundable deposit subject to inspection and examination to hold the car you are considering.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back