Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Collection from OPC- A couple of things

keendean

Monza
Hi,

I have my new to me 997.2 C4S from OPC, it just passed its 111. And brakes were noted to have more than 50% life in them, this surprises me, as this look pretty aged, and have a lip too. I'm not an expert, but does this not display wear? Should I get them checked out? Also the alloys have some blistering paint, of course not under warranty, but expected this to be right. I know its an eight year old car, but surely this should of been picked up. I've had the car since Saturday. I'm going to send the pics of the flaky paint to the sales guy and see what he says, or am I expecting too much? TIA

Brakes are a bit subjective. My understanding is that for a car to be sold as 'Approved Pre-Owned' by Porsche, the discs must not have more than 1mm of wear on them. Given the difference between 'new' discs and the 'minimum thickness' is only 2 mm, then having 'more than 50% life' would indicate that, by measurement, they are showing less than 1mm wear.

As for the wheels, I would have expected them to be, more of less, blemish free. So maybe the odd minor chip here and there, commensurate with age, but certainly not flaky paint!

keendean said:
Hi,

I have my new to me 997.2 C4S from OPC, it just passed its 111. And brakes were noted to have more than 50% life in them, this surprises me, as this look pretty aged, and have a lip too. I'm not an expert, but does this not display wear? Should I get them checked out? Also the alloys have some blistering paint, of course not under warranty, but expected this to be right. I know its an eight year old car, but surely this should of been picked up. I've had the car since Saturday. I'm going to send the pics of the flaky paint to the sales guy and see what he says, or am I expecting too much? TIA

I would expect the car to be perfect. You pay a premium for an OPC car it's condition and presentation at the point of sale should reflect that.
Write them a list of faults and get it made right. Welcome and congratulations on your purchase.

s70rjw said:
I would expect the car to be perfect. You pay a premium for an OPC car it's condition and presentation at the point of sale should reflect that

:agree:

:thumb:

Tricky. Mine came from the OPC with a couple of tiny stone chips in the bonnet which was fine, but the tyres, discs and pads didn't even last a year. And when the brake fluid came out, it was basically black, and really really didn't look like it had been changed for a while. As such I wouldn't put too much faith in the 111 point check from that outfit.

Next time around, I'll just get all the fluids changed immediately, so I know when the clock starts running, and then keep an eye out for the servicable items. It's always going to have been a second hand car... :dont know:

The discs can look worn and yet last for years in my experience. You ought to discuss all these things when buying the car and get them to agree which bits will be sorted. You might still get some action now, but you've given up your bargaining chips.

What sort of lip are we talking? Without seeing a pic, I would accept the brakes if they are only a bit worn, but defo not the alloys. I would also insist on a proper acid dip/powder coat refurb not the 'Smart Repair' with spray paint.

Sorry to hear of your disappointment Dean.

fyi the 111 point check is a visual inspection to check that everything is serviceable and that everything is Porsche OEM. The condition of wheels would only be noted if they were actually damaged. Similarly they wouldn't have known about the old brake fluid in MaxA's car.

With regard to the cosmetic condition of a car, buying from an OPC is no different to buying from any dealer. The onus is on the buyer to say what they expect. Any dealer worth their salt would make the car presentable prior to collection but many won't spend money getting things like below par wheels sorted out unless it's a 'condition of sale' previously agreed.

I hope that you can put this behind you and get on with enjoying driving it.

Dean, as others have said the brakes are subjective and can look quite worn but infact are good for many thousands of miles. re the alloys I would be having a word with the OPC a goodwill gesture or at least an offer to cover have the cost , refurb should be a max of £100 a corner so you might have to chip in £200 for the lot to be refreshed . :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to see what they come back with. I think I was blinded by the confidence OPC I stills, so assumed that alloys would be at least in pretty good condition. Rear discs looked as if they are scored. Brakes I can live with, but I'm hoping the alloys will be sorted, but you can bet it will be smart repair, hence the condition of them now. OPC are coming back to me tomorrow. Excuse if same picture twice, I'm on my phone.

Attachments

• img_7009_2_148.jpg
    img_7009_2_148.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4,353
That cannot possibly be acceptable for an approved car, surely!?

I doubt any of the major 2nd hand sellers (911v/RSJ/Stirlings etc) would sell a car without refurbing those wheels :dont know:

EDIT, just seen the other pics subsequently added. Generally looks like a poorly prepped car that has been sitting for a while. Those discs will clean up with use but there is a fair lip on them. The inside of the wheel looks terrible.

As I've said, piss poor prep.

The brakes look fine to me for a 111 check .

Thats a stone chip that has corroded , fairly common .. it should really have been refurbed prior to sale but to be fair it might have got worse since the 111 check was actually done .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back