Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Drivers Seat - Firmer Holding Options!

jonindorset

My 1998 Carrera 2 Manual is starting to feel like a very well sorted car now following some scheduled (and some unscheduled!) improvements/repairs...

I do however enjoy a somewhat more focused driving experience and also drive a Tillet equipped Caterham 7. I'm finding the combination of age, shiny leather and design is limiting the support, feel and feedback I get through the standard fit hard-backed sports seat in the 996.

I'm thinking about fitting a replacement drivers seat that retains folding but holds me far more firmly in place (keeping the inertia reel belt) for road use only. Have any of you done this? I will keep the current seat for re-fitment / originality. I'm not planning on spending a fortune but see nice, reasonably priced options from OMP among others. It doesn't necessarily need to be leather even.

Many thanks!

There's loads of seat options around, but not many places you can go and try them out before buying. You might need to go to some car meets and ask nicely for a sit in various cars !

I went for Bimarco Futura (without trying them first). Mainly because they have a particularly high back and are recommended for taller drivers. They're also very good value for FIA approved seats at £230 each. Plus you need suitable mounting brackets of course. The "Heavy Duty" side mounts from Design911 are probably easiest, they will attach to the stock runners. No need to buy the whole kit.

I've got the D911 reclining buckets and they certainly hold you in well. The non-recliners would probably clamp you in even more firmly, but I like the access to the rear that the recliners give me.

Thank you very much for the great suggestions. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to try some out and take it from there.

I can highly recommend GSM Sport Seats in Cotgrave - I booked an appointment there on my way to the NEC Classic in November.

Spent an hour playing Goldilocks in their showroom (too short, too wide, too tight, just right!) and got some seats that get like they were made for me.

EGTE said:
I've got the D911 reclining buckets and they certainly hold you in well. The non-recliners would probably clamp you in even more firmly, but I like the access to the rear that the recliners give me.

Tell me more about the D911 buckets you have. Are they the RS or DTX versions?

What do you think of them beyond how they hold you? How far do you normally drive in them? What did you have before, and how do they compare?

I have seen them on Design 911's website before and they look OK, but not great in terms of finishing.

I have the DTXs, mounted on the universal frame, which I bought second-hand from this forum, so I cannot really say how durable they are (don't know the full history). Alcantara base (good for grip), leather sides.

They are not Porsche OEM standard, but they look about 90% as good (are they copies of the 997 GT3 seats?) - for a hell of a lot less money. The rears look to have a very nice weave of carbon. They seem to have worn well, but I don't really know how old they are (I've had them 2 years).

The bottom pads are a little thin; I put a thin cushion pad on top if I'm going more than an hour or so. Other than that, they're really good at holding you in and comfortable. There is a very slight creak/squeak on the driver's side, but I'm confident I can track that down to a loose nut/bit of rubbing somewhere.

Overall I am very happy with them: they look great, they hold me tightly, they save a ton of weight over the standard seats and they were good value (I would have maintained this, even if I had bought them new). Access to the rear is just as good as the original seats, too.

EGTE - are yours the fixed buckets or reclining version? Curious to which as you'd mentioned access to the rear is still good. Thanks.

sackerley said:
EGTE - are yours the fixed buckets or reclining version? Curious to which as you'd mentioned access to the rear is still good. Thanks.

Folding me thinks...

EGTE said:

:thumb:

ragpicker said:
HSC911, would you happen to be aware of any OEM buckets for sale?

:?:

I know a chap that has 2 pairs of Nomex, 2 pairs in leather and a single GT2 carbon folding bucket :grin:

He said he also has a pair of GT2 carbon folding buckets coming very soon too... :wink:

Now, if only I could remember his facebook page :?

@911 something...

tophat.gif

ragpicker said:
Ahhh, I thought you might now a man who knows a man...

What is he doing with a single GT2 carbon bucket? Would make a cracking office chair whilst he's waiting for someone who's lost one to come along...

He is 'sitting on it' for a little while... :grin:

He likes people to call him direct to cut out the middle man, saves everyone time and money :wink:

Would look good in a black 996 Turbo, shame mine has a Grey interior, now who do I know with tuned Turbo's and a black interior :?:

:thumb:

Folding me thinks...

EGTE said:

:thumb:[/quote]

Ahhh Missed that, Doh!

HSC911 said:
He said he also has a pair of GT2 carbon folding buckets coming very soon too... :wink:

Uhh Ahem.... I am still looking for these :) How soon?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back