Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche 911 cat c

martynoc

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I work in a garage in Cornwall and we look after a lot of Porches. I have a customer with a 997 2004 3.6 careras 2 in great condition, 65k and full Porsche history upto the last which we have done. He is looking to sell it and it's fairly cheap. He thought it was a cat d but turns out to be a cat c. We have checked over the car and it has been repaired to an excellent standard. It's a cheap car from what I can see looking at prices of others but should I be put off by it and how much would it put off others when I come to resell? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Martyn

:welcome:

It all hinges on the price. If its a car to use, then fine, just bear in mind it will always be cat C recorded, so will not sell as easily as a car without a story, and always at a substantial discount.

I would want to know more about why it was written off... what was the accident damage?

Knock a third off what you'd value a straight one at. Does Cat C have to be inspected after repairs completed and I think if so comes with a certificate?

My daily was made a cat c. To put it back on the road all that was required was a fresh mot once the repairs were done

People say they are hard to move on, which they will be if you price it too high. But I see plenty of Cat cars move quickly in the classifieds because people usually know they can't ask for too much. I have friends who almost only buy Cat cars, enjoy them, then eventually move them on (neither particularly fast or slow, just when they are ready). Never known them hang around unusually long because they are just priced to sell.

There'll always be someone willing to take the cheapest car in the market on for the opportunity to try one.

:welcome: to 911uk marty'

If you can get it for c£15k it'd be a bargain.

Good Luck

Thanks so much for the replies guys put my mind at ease a bit as I really still would love to have the car. I have managed to get him to part with it for 14k does that sound like a good price??

The car was repaired a few years ago, had fairly extensive accident damage I would imagine as it would have been worth a lot at the time. As I say it seems to be a very good repair as you wouldn't tell looking over it. Again thanks so much for the advice everyone!

Would be listed about £23k (retail) straight, so yeah, not bad

Hi martyn and welcome. You're in the right place here and there are plenty of helpful folk around who know more about these cars than most Porsche centres :thumb:

14 k to get into a 997 sounds a bargain if it's been properly repaired. Plus you have personally worked on it, which is a bonus.

Have you driven it? What colour and goodies does it have? Wheels etc.

These are important for us 997 owners but you'll get to know that in due course :thumb:

Spec we need spec :thumb: get it bought, keep coming back to the forum it's a great place to find out about these cars. Most people round here will be jealous of your cheap find :worship:

Great buy at £14k. Keep it, use it.

A Cat C will of had to of been inspected then signed off officially that the work is done correctly, otherwise it can't be put back on the road. Look at this lot as they seem to be the people who handle it as far as HPI is concerned.

https://www.autolign.co.uk/

Really isn't a problem, if it's been done correctly, which if he has been driving it it really should of been. nice that you know the car, and probably the cheapest 997 out there. Put a private plate on it for £600, annoy the neighbors when you start driving a 911 and have them wondering which bank you've robbed!!!

pay another 9 and have a proper one,

the forces at work in a bang are unbelievable, when chassis's get bent the metal never goes back properly, i dont care what anybody says, everybody plays it down when they are selling one.

If you've checked it out and its straight then go for it. I'd like to see pics of the damage and reciepts for the repair.

The only people who think recorded cars don't sell is people who wouldn't buy one.

They do sell and at about 20% below equivalent.

At £14k you won't lose any money on it. I would go for it, in fact can I have his details....?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back