Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lots of vibration from door speakers???

Grey996

Nurburgring
Hi,

Mine had the standard speakers that vibrated especially on a song with a bit of bass so I asked on here and the consensus was that the stock speakers were pretty naff.

I bought some new ones, JBL GT7's which I rate and have fitted to two other cars without issue but the vibration is still the same, even with the bass turned down.

I've tried adding extra sponge wadding behind the speaker which has improved things a bit but it's still very noticeable and far from the crisp sound I'm hoping for?

Is there a 996 fix I'm missing or any other advice appreciated.

Thanks

i had the same problem, the door cards etc seems to vibrate,
Had problems getting a good sound in the 996 as its so noisy and boomy, its hard to overcome the background noise, hence the stereo and speakers have to be very loud.
In the end I put super tweeters in the dash , mids in the doors( no bass) and then cut out the rear behind the rear cards, and make up a wood panel to mount the largest speakers I could ( 8 inch required a lot of chopping, may be easier with 6 inch)and put some sound deadening mats in the rear wing area behind the speakers.,With the cards back on , they are invisible.
With the volume up I get vibration outside the car, from the wiper on the rear window, also the exhaust shields buzz in time to the music)

its hard to overcome the natural car noise levels, for sure.

PO had fitted a high end sound system to my car which he took out before selling. They did leave the sound deadening and I have no problems at all with vibration. Well worth a punt although I don't think you need so much Dynamat.

Attachments

• dscn3580_resized_273.jpg
    dscn3580_resized_273.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 2,343
Thanks both, I was quite surprised at how much sound deadening there was already in there but obviously more needed!

Grey996 said:
Thanks both, I was quite surprised at how much sound deadening there was already in there but obviously more needed!

If you've never tired Dynamat or an equivalent, its well worth it, did my van doors a couple of weeks ago and its greatly improved the standard rubbish speakers (new ones next though).

The door speakers are a different impedance IIRC, think they are supposed to be mids/woofers not full range. Yes, difficult to get a decent sound from small speakers in compromised locations, a sub would be a better bet, I always thought if you could gut one of those oem bose rear shelf ones and amp it properly with subs or put some beefy componants in the box instead..

Not sure dynamat in place Of The door membrane is such a good idea though..

Thanks all,

It sounds like the full range speakers might be the problem then and as suggested, I might be better of with mid range in the doors. I didn't know much about speakers but have just read up on it and that makes sense, limiting the bass and therefore the vibrations in the doors.

I've got stock tweeters in the dash together with new Alpine SPG's so hopefully I won't miss too much with mids in the doors.

What type of speakers are in the rear, I'm not sure I'm up to cutting holes for a big sub woofer just yet!

Oh and that Dynamat isn't cheap is it!

asterix_the_gaul said:
Not sure dynamat in place Of The door membrane is such a good idea though..

It isn't, my door carpets were wet last winter. I've bought new membranes but not fitted them because the carpets stayed dry after that.

The carpets got set again this winter but I also saw drip stains from the front of the door seal....

Grey996 said:
Thanks all,

It sounds like the full range speakers might be the problem then...

No, there's nothing wrong with your speakers. The doors have so much stuff in them that will vibrate. Glass, mechanism etc etc..
Gently tap the door with your knuckles - i expect you'll hear rattles.
Take the card off and make sure everything is tight and done up properly. does anything move that shouldn't? You shouldn't need to cover the whole door in dynamat and even if you did, you probably wouldn't fix the thing that is rattling!

Thanks Halcyon, that's good news re the speakers. I'll certainly give that a try, I much prefer cheap fixes!

Some clarifications: So did some fact checking, I was correct, the original door speakers have a different impedance, they are two ohm rather than 4 ohm.

They are designed as mids/woofers as I said, but what I didn't make clear is that they are already fed with these frequencies by the amp. The idea being that the bigger door woofers handle the lower range and the other speakers fill in the rest.
That's my understanding of how the factory system works. If you still have the factory amp that is..

The full range speakers you have fitted to the doors should be OK despite being 4 ohm full range, if they are coax you could snip the wires to the tweeters to make sure you don't get funny highs but I don't really see the point. Unless you can hear something funny about the sound -if it's rattles that are the problem That Won't help.

Track down what's rattling and try to isolate or tighten it down. May not be possible. I've had number plate rattles in previous cars which were an easy fix, door bits much less so as so many different bits can be rattling

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back