Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front end lightness

MAZI

Coming from a BMW M5 I feel that the my 911 seems to lighten up at the front pushing on at 8/10ths.
It feels a little unnerving but I have been told its a characteristic if the 911 which makes sense given there is almost no weight over the front?

Don't worry, at 9/10ths and beyond it all comes good. :wink:

T8 said:
Don't worry, at 9/10ths and beyond it all comes good. :wink:

This. It's amazing how it goes from being docile to a precision instrument with a sledgehammer hitting it forwards :grin:

You never drove an e46 m3 CSL? Its more subtle than the normal m cars, but when you figure it out the lightness is talking to you much more than any bmw m

As other have said check the geo, other things to consider are DSC module and a 4" underdrive pulley and shorter belt the latter will stiffen the Power steering just enough to really feel you have more control . the DSC will change the PASM and again adds so much more confidence.
the big issue I found with the 997 was not only was the front light but added to that the steering was ultra light both those things combine to make it feel a bit twitchy but can very much be overcome :thumb:

pcat said:
You never drove an e46 m3 CSL? Its more subtle than the normal m cars, but when you figure it out the lightness is talking to you much more than any bmw m

Prefer the CS TBH with a manual box. SMG is fine when ramming it but rubbish in all other situations. Newer BMW DCT and Porsche PDK obviously a lot better.

Mazi,
I just bought my first Porsche, a 997 at the end of last year, handling is different and a bit floaty in a straight-line if that's the term but holly molly if you are committed in the corners it's a great experience. I'm running new Michelin PS4S's on the front and almost done Pirelli's on the rear. The 997 does have some interesting turn in characteristics that takes a time to work out. I can't wait for a full set of MPS4S's, next month.

Planning a Europe trip with the wife in summer, autobahn here we go, can't wait.

Enjoy....

JB

MAZI said:
Magic919 said:
There's always the LFB option.

LFB???
I'm guessing "Little Fat Buddy". Back in the day, some people used to chuck a bag of sand or two (as in aggregate, not Zingari's beer fund) in the frunk to add weight over the front end and aid grip...

My recently purchased 996 Carrera 2 has newly fitted mo30 along with new continental n2's and the handling is truly staggering and far more confidence inspiring than the slightly worn 996 turbo and 997 GT3 that came before.
There is over 30 years of development before your car that means that you can confidently take extraordinary liberties without it trying to throw you into the nearest ditch. :thumb:

Strange you say that about the comparison from BMW. If anything i think the balance of the 911 is better than Front engine RWD, There's certainly more traction from behind when pressing on, More confidence.

My S-class is by no means a sports car, but a lot more nervous on the back end than the 911. Big heavy 5.0L up front and no weight out the back....

It does take a little getting used too, but soon as you have the feel it's such a rewarding car to drive, Time after time it'll surprise you with how far away its limits are compared to your driving nerve, Even when you run out of talent - It's still got your back.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back