Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cosmetic makeover - on point or on crack?

Grey996

Hi all,

My car is going into the bodyshop shortly for a cosmetic tidy up, front bumper repainted, dings sorted, body machine polished and wheels refurbed. I was always going to keep everything standard but I'm now thinking it's an opportunity to be a bit more daring.

I love the orange bumpers and gold wheels on this car and think it would work well on my grey car.

I will probably still have the bumper painted grey as it has a crack that needs fixing then I was thinking a vinyl wrap for the orange bumpers so I can always revert back to grey if i want to. The gold wheels would be no going back (other than repainting) but I think I'd need them to pull off the look as the standard silver colour wouldn't cut it.

My car is totally standard i.e. no extra spoilers etc and standard ride height so what do people think, would it work or just look naff?

Attachments

• img_2949_200.jpg
    img_2949_200.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 4,363
My car, pic taken making the most of the snow with a bit of drifting.

Attachments

• 25682e0b_69a9_421f_acbb_7fefe1b657c8_143.jpg
    25682e0b_69a9_421f_acbb_7fefe1b657c8_143.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 4,342
I think your car looks perfect just the way it is. :thumb:

I might be a bit biased though. :wink:

I had this for 3.5 years :cloud9:

Seriously, I really don't think what you're suggesting would work. :nooo:

If it helps this is the nearest I've seen to what you're suggesting.

Thanks T8, 1 vote for standard then.

Also with regard to the styling, I'm not interested in making it look like a GT3 or anything but are there any subtle improvements such as lower spoilers that work and aren't really expensive?

Aha! Yes I do like that. I'll to save up a bit for the Fuchs and the ducktail I'd expect but that looks great.

Silver in the wheels looks good too

Vinyl it and give it a go, you end up not liking it just change back. It'll make it easier for me to spot you in Sheffield if you do it. :thumbs:

Dammit said:
As long as it's vinyl and you can peel it off without harming anything then why not?

I agree, give it a go. Vive la difference.

Use plasti-dip on the wheels, it will peel off easily. Won't last long but will give you an idea of what it looks like before painting.

Hey Grey - at the risk of offending, I think the 'orange bumper look' only works if you have a whole range of other modifications.....

I think the uninitiated would think you'd had a bump and got a bumper from a breakers (I miss the days where you would regularly see this, or cars driving round in grey or red-oxide primer - these days things seem to be scrapped instead of being fixed - god I sound old) :roll:

Yep, nothing ventured and all that

I'm going for the gold wheels too, I don't suppose anyone knows that paint code of the MW car, it looks like a matt more bronze type gold. Very important to get that right as blingy gold would look really naff!

I've found a place that does the side decals for only £50 but it's difficult to tell the actual colour from the small swatches. I'll probably buy the decals then match the paint to those if I'm happy with the colour.

http://www.designstuffonline.co.uk/..._specific/porsche/porsche_911_996_decals.html

Kingb4 said:
Hey Grey - at the risk of offending, I think the 'orange bumper look' only works if you have a whole range of other modifications.....

I think the uninitiated would think you'd had a bump and got a bumper from a breakers (I miss the days where you would regularly see this, or cars driving round in grey or red-oxide primer - these days things seem to be scrapped instead of being fixed - god I sound old) :roll:

Fair point, what other mods do you think it will need?

I'm not really bothered about the uninitiated or anyone else for that matter really but you've reminded me of my first car, a Fiat Strada that had different coloured doors and boot from the scrap yard, I miss those days too!

Grey996 said:
Kingb4 said:

Fair point, what other mods do you think it will need?

I'm not really bothered about the uninitiated or anyone else for that matter really but you've reminded me of my first car, a Fiat Strada that had different coloured doors and boot from the scrap yard, I miss those days too!

As they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....so it shouldnt matter what others think. Personally, I think for the orange-bumper look to work, you will need some spoilers/skirts (aero kit maybe) and after-market alloys. But I wouldnt base any buying decisions on my view....you could have a go at trying different options using paintshop etc, so you can try before you buy.

(I am impressed your Strada lasted long enough to have different doors - most turned to a pile of dust before anyone had the chance to repair them - I can remember a neighbour buying one brand-new, it was rusty within 2 years!)

Agreed, I'm happy to add a subtle spoiler but can't see anything that I can add to the existing one without going for a replacement GT3 rep like look unless someone can point me in the right direction?

Well its booked in for Friday so its decision time, I've mocked up a couple of pics but still can't make up my mind!

The wheels are the clincher really as i can easily remove the bumper wrap when i get bored of it but then id be left with the gold wheels, then again they do look good and the silver wheels are orange bumpers look better then i thought????

Please feel free to slap me back into shape as it seems like a crazy idea that could be an expensive mistake but then again it might just work!

Attachments

• standard_158.gif
    standard_158.gif
    911.8 KB · Views: 3,997
  • gold_wheels_790.gif
    gold_wheels_790.gif
    908.8 KB · Views: 3,997
  • gold_and_orange_178.gif
    gold_and_orange_178.gif
    875.4 KB · Views: 3,997
  • silver_and_orange_110.gif
    silver_and_orange_110.gif