Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water in rear lights G2 car

ian_alex

Monza
Noticed beads of water on the inside of the rear lights today. I have removed them and also the black plastic cover together with a bulb to expose the interior to atmosphere and I am now trying to dry them out in the airing cupboard!
Does anyone know why this happens and how to prevent it in future?
By the way there is a serious amount of electronics in there which really should not be exposed to moisture. I would imagine replacement cost would be scary!
Thanks for any ideas/ experience.

The original lights themselves have a manufacturing fault in them that means the bonding between the clear plastic and red plastic often fails and then lets in water. It is a well known fault. If you push on the clear part of the plastic you can often see the gap open with the flex ( but don't push too hard as they will get worse ).

You can periodically dry them out as per your suggestion. I've done that a few times before on mine. Another cheap option is to fit a clear vinyl wrap.

Mine slowly got worse and OPC quoted approx £600 per light for replacement. You can buy the same lights from CarParts4Less or similar for approx £300 each.

Even when they are undamaged they all seem to absorb some moisture over time coupled with the fact that the LED lights dissipate so little heat they don't seem to self clear too easily.

Hope that helps.
Andrew

As above, starts wiith a bit of condensation, but eventually you need a new unit. You cant get them for 300 quid any more its more like 400 ish

Mine lasted anothe 3 years after the first signs of moisture, but enentually the clear and red parrs separated and the whole thing filled with water and shorted out

I had the same issue and removing the two small stickers that cover the air holes fixed it for me.

Where are these stickers? Mine are just showing signs of condensation.

Did you need to put in airing cupboard also?

Cheers, James

I've just had the rear lights replaced 4 weeks ago under warranty because of moisture ingress. Now the new ones are showing signs of moisture. I guess they will be spending some more money and time on my car.

James M-S said:

Cheers, James

When you pop the light out just look closely and you will see them. They are small at about 7 mm in diameter and are a rubbery texture. I pieced it with a small screwdriver first and then was able to peel it of. They dried naturally quite quickly one the air was able to circulate.

nigel99 said:
James M-S said:

Cheers, James

When you pop the light out just look closely and you will see them. They are small at about 7 mm in diameter and are a rubbery texture. I pieced it with a small screwdriver first and then was able to peel it of. They dried naturally quite quickly one the air was able to circulate.

Eventually the small crack which you probably cant see, between the red and clear bits will become a big crack. It looks like they are glued together under tension so when they fail they open up. Mine had about a 10mm wide crack 100mm long

ian_alex said:
Noticed beads of water on the inside of the rear lights today. I have removed them and also the black plastic cover together with a bulb to expose the interior to atmosphere and I am now trying to dry them out in the airing cupboard!
Does anyone know why this happens and how to prevent it in future?
By the way there is a serious amount of electronics in there which really should not be exposed to moisture. I would imagine replacement cost would be scary!
Thanks for any ideas/ experience.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=942189

You're right they are not, sorry missed the 'G2" on the post.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I will leave some ventilation holes and see what happens. It will probably be OK over the summer anyway!

Note to self , remove the rubber covers over the holes and allow then to ventilate , job to do next week :thumb: :thumb:

Where are the rubber covers! I have taken my lights out and can only find one grommet between the screw threads?? Am I looking in the wrong place??

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back