Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

F1 really is the pits

wizard993

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135037/verstappen-would-have-switched-off-worthless-gp

When drivers give such damming views you know the sport is at rock bottom.

Those halo's look horrendous and just add to the lack of any enjoyment.

Why don't they just fit the cars with a proper enclosed cockpit vs this halo nonsense?

Not sure why they bother with drivers nowadays as they would be better running RC F1 cars from a studio.

Is F1 doomed?

CVC were smart to offload F1. I've only been to 2 races, one Aus GO and the British GP. The Aus UP was during the V8 era and the noise was epic. One F1 car was louder than all the V8 Supercars from the support race. The British GP was with the current engines and the Carrera Cup cars were louder than the F1 cars. I've also heard V10 cars and their next level again.
With the rise of electric cars and Formula E, this may prove to be the future of racing at the top echelon of motorsports. It's not something o look forward to if that's the case. Bring back the noise I say

I have to say I found yesterdays F1 Grand Prix a little depressing :sad:

Halo=Pants as far as I am concerned :sad:

The safety car won as I see it :grin: once that had been deployed it was game over as similarly quick cars just had no way of staying close to the car in front due to the aero packages and heat build up :sad:

Was good to meet you at Oulton Park the other day wiz :thumb:

Havent watched F1 for years not at all interested in it cars are crap, drivers are football players , all the razzmatazz has gone . far better more enjoyable racing in other motorsport arenas , F1 has had its day I am afraid :nooo:

Phil 997 said:
Havent watched F1 for years not at all interested in it cars are crap, drivers are football players , all the razzmatazz has gone . far better more enjoyable racing in other motorsport arenas , F1 has had its day I am afraid :nooo:

:yeah:

It is a bit worse than watching Formula E as it stands :sad:

kurlykris said:
I have to say I found yesterdays F1 Grand Prix a little depressing :sad:

Halo=Pants as far as I am concerned :sad:

The safety car won as I see it :grin: once that had been deployed it was game over as similarly quick cars just had no way of staying close to the car in front due to the aero packages and heat build up :sad:

Was good to meet you at Oulton Park the other day wiz :thumb:

Ditto.....just wish I could have stayed a bit longer but Mrs Wiz needed picked up.

Hope you enjoyed the day :thumb:

I've been watching F1 for over 25 years, Senna, Mansell and Schumacher. I used to watch the testing at Silverstone for free and heard the V10 5 miles away from the track.

I will always remember how the testing, qualifying and racing was flat out and how the greats Senna and Schumacher used to dance the awesome machines at the very edge of performance and physics. You could tell that they were looking for grip at every single corner not giving a f@@k about tyre wear or fuel. They were real racers.

Now?

I still watch it. Why? I don't know
:?
8 or 9 times out of 10, whoever qualifies wins. The first 6 laps of the race are fast and then it all down to tyre and fuel strategy, no fuel stops, be careful of the tyre wear, watch the fuel use, one or if your lucky two fuel stops. The cars look so much easier to drive, you can take Eau Rouge flat out in any of the cars.

For example, at Australia Schumcher held the lap record (during the race). Now with 3 DF zones and still 14 years later they can't beat it
:eek:

The sound from the engines are limp, there are no characters or real tension between the drivers and zero glamour.

I always fall asleep half way through and then have to rewind in case I've missed the pit stop (as if its lap 15 out of 58 and a one stopper chances are your now who the winner is going to be).

Not into to motorbikes but love watching MotoGP (Rossi).

I may also start watching the GT racing where you can see the top raacing cars e.g. Lambo, Ferrari Aston etc race each other.

F1 is dead. The regulations, massive downforce and stupid DF zones where its not about skill (but more about hitting the rear diffuser button quickly) is key.

its a shame really, the fans almost live in hope for better days, but loyalty can only go so far, the scenario of driverless cars might not be as ridiculous as it sounds in this crazy day and age,

safety has to be paramount, no one disputes that, but i felt it was there a long time ago, something the great Jackie stewart initiated, this halo thing is belittling a sport that in my mind went to the dogs years ago, the lack of personality, glamour, feuds etc, its all a knock-on for the control freakery that's endemic today,

maybe if the manual clutch came back, it could become a sport again,

in the meantime, you may as well get the scalextric down from the loft.

Liberty need to get on with changing the playing field, sorting out budgets and amending design rules. If Ferrari don't like it, they should be told to s@#t or get off the pot. Does anyone really believe that F1 will die if Ferrari are no longer in it?

'in the meantime, you may as well get the scalextric down from the loft'

That sums up F1 to a tee

I always loved F1, but nowadays you need to subscribe to pay-per-view and that's crap. I've only been to one F1 race, but the cars and drivers and pitlanes are inaccessible to normal mortals (even those who have paid an absolute shitload for a ticket), which is also crap. Not to mention, the engines are a bit flat.

As such, the most interesting racing I've seen recently is the Dubai 24hrs, with multiple classes, multiple drivers, loud and insanely loud cars, and some great racing. Plus open pit lanes, if you want to talk to your mates and cadge a coffee. And you can park your car next to the grandstand.

The only motorsports I watch on tv is bike racing. MotoGP, WSBK and BSB.

I watched F1 highlights the other night and yeah, it's hard to get excited about. Apparently the race was won with a safety car, strategy and software. Hmmmm, no racing then?

I found myself watching the weekends GP unfold with jaw dropping disbelief.

1. Halo, just ugly and inelegant. The fighter cockpit style shield was much better, even if Seb said it made him feel sick. Doesn't really square with multi million dollar fighter aircraft loaded with high explosives being routinely flown at several G's.

2.The camera angles from the cars, especially the Halo are so poor. How did it ever come to pass that no one thought to fit front and rear facing camera into the Halo and not trying to peer over the darn thing :eh!:

3.The cars sound pathetic.

4. They don't look particularly fast. We all know that they are but it doesn't look that way other than on an odd occasion.

5. RACING RACING RACING....... We want to see drivers actually racing each other. There is more action in one lap of MOTO GP or a club race at your local circuit than in an entire GP. It is really so super dull that I am losing faith completely.

Yep it's boring as hell.... It should change it's name to F1ollow the leader or maybe F1astest pit stop wins :dont know:

They could get rid of pit stops and have shorter races or make cars narrower to ease over taking..

Or just ban all driver aids and ship to shore communication

Now that Porsche and Mercedes are joining formula e this formula may start to 'overtake" F1

I was speaking to a died in the wool F1 fan earlier and he has lost his interest in watching on TV or attending.

He said he'd now only go to the Monaco or Hungarian GP but mainly for the venue and this guy has been to over 70 GP's 😳

Is the F1 mgmt not listening or has F1 vanished too far up its own backside?

Re(this is what it's all about)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaindelon
Back