Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jacking

Terrorv

Hi all, I want to take the wheels off my car to give the arches etc a good clean. If I purchase a torc wrench and a good trolley jack will that be safe and sufficient for the work? if I remove 1 wheel at a time clean the area and then put the wheel back on. Or will I need to put the car in axle stands? If so how would I go about this?

Thanks in advance

That would be good enough for me, but I trust my jack. It's not like you'll be lying under the car.

FWIW I normally give my arches a good clean every time I get new tyres fitted and car is on the lift.

i also jetwash the arches (with wheels on) at every wash.

I can fit my arm through the spokes to wash the barrel of the wheel, but I am also thinking of buying wheel woolies.

A decent trolley jack will be fine to hold a corner up for a few hours, it`s not like you`ll be underneath the car, I tend to put a few blocks of wood under the wheel carrier as extra security, just incase disaster strikes :thumb:
Chock the front wheels when you work on the rear wheels/arches, just to be sure and leave the car in 1st gear all the time you`re working on it :grin:

I always leave my cars in 1st gear when on the drive..............I had one escape when the brakes cooled down after a spirited drive and the handbrake didn`t hold...............was woken at 5am by plod as the car was parked accross the road, blocking the whole cul de sac :eh!:

kurlykris said:
A decent trolley jack will be fine to hold a corner up for a few hours, it`s not like you`ll be underneath the car, I tend to put a few blocks of wood under the wheel carrier as extra security, just incase disaster strikes :thumb:
Chock the front wheels when you work on the rear wheels/arches, just to be sure and leave the car in 1st gear all the time you`re working on it :grin:

I always leave my cars in 1st gear when on the drive..............I had one escape when the brakes cooled down after a spirited drive and the handbrake didn`t hold...............was woken at 5am by plod as the car was parked accross the road, blocking the whole cul de sac :eh!:

Top advice this :thumb:

Same happened to an old Alfa I once owned except the car was lying up against someone's garden wall :oops:

kurlykris said:

Blimey now this reminds me of having a Vauxhall Astra when I was a kid.

Parked up got out went to the cash point, turned around and the car had gone..!!!

No sign of it down the street at all (yep there was a slight slope)

Guys I did check too see if it had rolled down the hill before I phone the Old Bill.

The police turned up. These were the days when they did turn up and they patrolled the streets.

Car had rolled down hill alright but with the wheels not ever so in line it went down in a slight arc disappearing up someones drive.

Make me smile remembering that one.
:mrgreen: :floor: :mrgreen: :cop:

:lol: I think most of us have some similar stories :grin:

Rs 2000 was the car back in the day. 2.0 pinto.

My nephew who's 20, bought a 2.0 scirocco recently with a stage 1 remap and a milltek de cat exhaust system.

260 bhp which is crazy in the hands of these young boys.

Alfaian said:
kurlykris said:

Same happened to an old Alfa I once owned except the car was lying up against someone's garden wall :oops:

My daughters car did this on a warm day not long after she passed her test , parked outside her Grans house .....glanced out the window at a car 'just like hers' rolling down the road with no driver ... stopped in the neighbours wall though ...£500 repair paid for by Bank of Dad......ouch....

On topic...always have a reserve support under your car to support in case of the unlikely....

Would be wise to purchase an extended wheel wrench to get your wheel nuts off...torque wrench is for checking torque on tightening the bolts, use the normal wrench until hand tight....

I recommend a race height jack and rubber pucks to shim up to the jacking points.SGS do an excellent range
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/tja25-aluminium-trolley-jack

I bought jackpoint jack stands but haven't used them in anger yet ...
http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/

They are a great idea if you are planning a lot of use though .....second to none imo...

I always use a stud extension guide while removing or replacing wheels , sometimes 2 , makes like much easier and safe
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o6dc5YCxua8

I just use the rally jack to raise the car when changing the rims (winter to summer, summer to track etc.). But what we were always taught was to shove a 'spare wheel' (one of the unused ones) under the car while it was in the air. You never know.

I too have 'lost' a car in a car park: it was a 2.0 two door Focus (back when 130bhp was regarded as plenty... 8) ) with discs all round and it rolled downhill into a SAAB when the rear discs cooled down after a spirited drive. It was most embarassing to be called by the Police on the telephone. :cop: Anyway, no harm was done as those SAABs are pretty tough. :dont know: Nowadays I always leave the car in gear.

911TEL said:
Alfaian said:
kurlykris said:

My daughters car did this on a warm day not long after she passed her test , parked outside her Grans house .....glanced out the window at a car 'just like hers' rolling down the road with no driver ... stopped in the neighbours wall though ...£500 repair paid for by Bank of Dad......ouch....

On topic...always have a reserve support under your car to support in case of the unlikely....

Would be wise to purchase an extended wheel wrench to get your wheel nuts off...torque wrench is for checking torque on tightening the bolts, use the normal wrench until hand tight....

I recommend a race height jack and rubber pucks to shim up to the jacking points.SGS do an excellent range

They are a great idea if you are planning a lot of use though .....second to none imo...

I always use a stud extension guide while removing or replacing wheels , sometimes 2 , makes like much easier and safe
Great tip on the lug extension👍 Something else to buy or does one come in the kit???

It was surprising how much time I spent with my head under the 4S this weekend fixing something, supported only by a Halfords hydraulic jack even though I knew it was a very, very bad idea. At one point I realised if the car dropped I would have my head cleaved in two by the brake disc... never again.

I've not worked out how to jack the car up and put the stand under the jacking point though. :dont know:

silvermilnec said:
911TEL said:
Alfaian said:
kurlykris said:

Great tip on the lug extension👍 Something else to buy or does one come in the kit???

I bought mine from Design 911i believe , but you have got me thinking ...I'll check my kit in the morning .....another one won't do any harm....! Can't have too many tools and toys ...

Robertb said:
It was surprising how much time I spent with my head under the 4S this weekend fixing something, supported only by a Halfords hydraulic jack even though I knew it was a very, very bad idea. At one point I realised if the car dropped I would have my head cleaved in two by the brake disc... never again.

I've not worked out how to jack the car up and put the stand under the jacking point though. :dont know:

Check this out ...there is demo vid...

Robertb said:

You tube have some good ones explaining this with he obvious moving pictures.
Type in 'Porsche 911 safe axle stand use'
May be handy for you fella

Thanks 911TEL and Tobyone. I'll check out the videos. :thumb:

Just watched one, who'd have thunk it was as simple as just jacking up the car high enough from one jacking point on one side so you can get the stand under the other on the same side...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mapp
Back