Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Short shift kit

Cybot7

Thinking about fitting one to my 3.4 C2 and has anyone got any comments re pros and cons and what kit is best?

The cheap £30 eBay one is fine for road use. Make sure it's set for RHD and not LH when you get it. You just need to remove the centre shaft and spin the gearstick round 180 degrees. Shove loads of grease arpund all moving parts and make sure everything is tightened up.

Cybot7 said:
Thinking about fitting one to my 3.4 C2 and has anyone got any comments re pros and cons and what kit is best?

The 997 shifters are a shorter throw than the 996 , So if it were me and I had a couple of hundred to spend I would be fitting a 997 GT3 shifter as it has metal bushings and gives a bolt action gear shift. if not then a cheapo ebay SSK :thumb: :thumb:

The two choices for me are -

997 standard shifter, but still shorter than 996. Plastic bushes. About £150.

997-424-010-00

Or

997.2 GT3 with metal bushes as Phil mentions. About £350.

997-424-010-91

There is an official 997 SSK which is different again but some say too short and notchy.
Always wanting the best I was going to wait for a GT3 one but I'm now thinking try the £150 standard 997 one, as by all accounts there's still a vast improvement on a 20 year old 996 one.

I have a 996 short shift that I purchased from another member that I no longer required, if of interest let me know.

Personally I think that they are total dog sh*t and would recommend going with the standard 997 shifter (which were also fitted to the 997 GT3 up until 2010)

This is circa 20% shorter throw than your 996 shift and will be new so no slop.

The post 2010 GT3 shifter has an identical throw but has metal bushes, when both are new there is no difference in the shift. - If you track your car regularly this could be worth the extra money to mitigate wear, if you do not, IMHO dont bother you will never notice the difference.

My C2 had a SSK fitted when I bought it. Hideous to use. I've fitted a 997 standard shifter which is way nicer.

crash7 said:
Personally I think that they are total dog sh*t

Sometimes Crash, I just wish you'd say what you really think instead of sitting in the fence. :grin:

I agree though which is why I haven't bought one yet. It's near the bottom of my list of things to try.

I had a Schnell one on my GT3 and it was feckin' orrible. First thing the buyer did was to fit the standard 997 one above.

Marky911 said:
crash7 said:
Personally I think that they are total dog sh*t

Sometimes Crash, I just wish you'd say what you really think instead of sitting in the fence. :grin:

I agree though which is why I haven't bought one yet. It's near the bottom of my list of things to try.

I had a Schnell one on my GT3 and it was feckin' orrible. First thing the buyer did was to fit the standard 997 one above.

:D Obviously just my opinion, and each to their own, perhaps I should have added something constructive - doh!

I see a gear change as a means to an end, you want to get from one to the other as quickly as possible, so in theory the shorter the throw the faster this will happen, hence a purchase of a SSK, however what they fail to articulate is that although the throw is short, it also notchy and stiff and as a sub-sequence is difficult to get into gear thus actually takes longer, time wise, than the standard item, which in my eyes is counter productive.

I agree that the standard 996 shift is to long and to vague, however the SSK is the polar opposite

Marky911 said:
...I'm now thinking try the £150 standard 997 one, as by all accounts there's still a vast improvement on a 20 year old 996 one.

This.

I chanced upon a s/h shifter from a low mileage 987. It was a vast improvement on a 20 year old (& 110k miles) 996 one.

Thanks all. Looks like a 997 shift needs to be bought.

Some of you know might know that I bought a 996-eBay SSK-special a little over two years ago, and it failed on the way back from Dinslaken last year. I replaced it with a 997 standard shifter.

The knackered SSK has sat on my shelf ever since; then a few weeks ago I sent it to Alex Yates who has replaced the bushes on it - and its going to be reinstalled this weekend.

Great bit of work Alex - looking forward to seeing how it performs. :thumb:

Osh

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back