Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DA polisher for the first time

marcass

Hi everyone.

I currently polish and wax by hand, on a white car and quite like the results I have achieved over the years, but would like to venture further and get a DA polisher and see if I can improve further.

I would really value the advice of those here who currently use them, both for the one I should get and the pads and compounds I should use.

I found this on Clean Your Car.; http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polis...isher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/prod_673.

Do you not use the same polish for a DA polisher than you would have used if doing by hand?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Das 6 Pro is a great DA. Your link doesn't work for me, however CyC do a number of kits with the machine. Using a DA will allow you to remove swirl marks, pig tails, micro marring etc, as opposed to covering or filling them which is generally what hand applied products do.What are you hoping to achieve? ie 85 to 90% correction? Menzerna, Scholl, Meguiars, CG all do their own take on corrective therapy for paintwork. Always start with the least abrasive mix of pad and product and move up if required. There's a plethora of advice on www.detailingworld.com or have a look at forensic detailing channel on YouTube.

Bob

Das 6 pro is excellent.

I use same, with meguires ultimate compound , some medium pads.
Make sure car is clean , go slow (1 or 2 , out of 6). Practice on someone else's car :floor:

You can't really go too wrong if you check every few passes , and don't let it get totally dry of compound. I finish with microfibre cloths

When you have a lot of spare time, look up Junkman2000 videos on YouTube. They are slow, but good information. You will struggle to go wrong with a Das6 Pro. When I got mine I got a scrap panel from a bodyshop and tried to damage it with it. I couldn't. Results are fantastic but it does take some time.

MC

Go for it! Very time consuming but very rewarding and it is as you say, the next level.

My wife bought me this kit a few years ago -

https://www.monzacarcare.com/shop/m...sher/das6-car-polisher-meguiars-complete-kit/

Very good starter kit. The only thing I added was a bottle of Megs Ultra Cut compound for more stubborn imperfections. I've since bought lots of other stuff.

Eamonn at Monza is a great lad. Very honest in his advice. He used to own a stunning 993GT2 rep too.

As said they're very safe and fool proof. If anything they're a little too safe so lots of people move onto a rotary machine for faster results. I'm still on my DA though. Fine for amateur use.

Get one bought. You can even buy an old panel to practice on.
You still apply your finish protection by hand though, wax or sealant. :thumb:

+1 for meguires.

I bought a kit from polishedbliss £215 inc polisher, cutting compound, Polish, all the pads etc. Practiced on my 4 year old daily t5 which took 3 days :frustrated: 2 ultimate then 2 polish layers...suggest you pick a small car to practice on :thumb:

Quite daunting the first time you use one, but they work fine. Takes off less than you think but geez is right re applying plenty of compound and making sure car is clean first. For that include using tar remover and clay bar before you get the polishing machine out.

G2 said:
+1 for meguires.

I bought a kit from polishedbliss £215 inc polisher, cutting compound, Polish, all the pads etc. Practiced on my 4 year old daily t5 which took 3 days :frustrated: 2 ultimate then 2 polish layers...suggest you pick a small car to practice on :thumb:

Quite daunting the first time you use one, but they work fine. Takes off less than you think but geez is right re applying plenty of compound and making sure car is clean first. For that include using tar remover and clay bar before you get the polishing machine out.

Oh...and get plenty of biscuits and charge the iPod....it takes bloomin ages as you get addicted very quickly!

Thanks for all the replies.

That photo of the black finish really IS a mirror!

Your advice has given me the confidence to go for it, and the detailingworld.com forums are amazing too.

I think I am going to go with the DAS6 pro from CYC.com, and I hear that Tim there is very helpful with selling a starter pack and offering a disount. Detailingworld has a few codes floating around.

I can see i'm going to be spending a lot of time on this, but I get so much satisfaction of seeing the car looking amazing, its all worth it.

out of interest, and I know it depends on the condition of the paintwork, but how many different compounds/pads do you use? 2 or 3 seems to be common.

thanks

marcass said:
out of interest, and I know it depends on the condition of the paintwork, but how many different compounds/pads do you use? 2 or 3 seems to be common.

thanks

2 plus the topcoat or wax.

If you want to buy some cheap unopened Menz compounds let me know.

Coincidently i was taking advantage of the good Sunday weather.

I have the DA6 Pro and was given the AutoFinesse Revitalise kit for xmas..

Be warned even though Porsche are meant to fall into the soft paint bracket its very sticky so work small areas at a time and consider better pads like the chemical guys Hex range.

After all day and running 2 x passes on each stage i was making some progress but see below for before and after on my bonnet rather bad photos on iphone but my current conclusion is the autofinesse is a good product but not for hard or sticky paint..

you really should'nt need to do so many passes so after more reading have ordered the Hex pads which should help with the sticky paint a bit better.

Sticking with the auto finesse compounds as i have lots and its still got good reviews.. but i am still learning and don't really want to use a aggressive cut compound yet..

A

Attachments

• img_6378_175.jpg
    img_6378_175.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7,305
  • img_6377_535.jpg
    img_6377_535.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7,305
marcass said:

thanks

I usually do clay=> polish/swirl remover => paint cleanser (Zymol HD Cleanse) before the wax. Any deeper scratches I will do by hand and a more aggressive compound. The paint was in good condition to start with.

I am very impressed with the AutoFinesse clay, and Glide lube.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back