Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

coming out of hibernation

pcat

Spa-Francorchamps
After using the car as a daily for 4 years, this winter i put it to sleep for the first time. Next weekend its coming out of the carcoon

Is there anything specific i need to do or check? I heard that pulling the fuel pump fuse and turning the engine over a few times to get the oil to the valves is a good idea

Anything else?

For what it's worth, my 996 hasn't been started for over 6 months and I fired it up this week for a spin around the block. I removed the battery before laying it up, so having re-installed the battery, I had a quick glance at the coolant level and turned on the ignition. The car did its oil level check and confirmed good to go, so I turned the key. Without any hesitation it started as if it had just been used the previous day.

The 997 also hasn't been started for over 6 months and is due to go for an MOT this week, so fingers crossed! I plan to do much the same as I did with the 996 but I'm interested to see if anyone suggests any other "pre-flight" checks / procedures...

My car hasn't been started since October and it'll be fine as it's been on a CTEK.

Just check the levels and tyre pressures and turn the key, I have never bothered pulling fuses in the 25+ years of laying cars up over Winter.

Martian said:
My car hasn't been started since October and it'll be fine as it's been on a CTEK.

Just check the levels and tyre pressures and turn the key, I have never bothered pulling fuses in the 25+ years of laying cars up over Winter.

Carcoon has a charger/ conditioner so i might just fire it up then. Its going to be like buying a new car after driving a 4x4 pickup truck for 6 months )

Always worth checking tyre pressures when stored for a while :thumb:

Maybe a bit late but the oil pressure builds very quickly when started. I can't imagine that spinning the engine on the starter would make much difference. Do the oil pumps/sprays even work when the starter is engaged, dunno?

I turn mine over with the fuel pump fuses out to begin with, but tbh I've never seen the oil pressure rise when doing it.

I do wonder it it makes any real difference...

Thats strange I always see my oil pressure rise when cranking with the fuel pump fuse pulled out...could be mistaken though. I will check next time.

Anyone got the fusebox diagram for which one to pull?

pcat said:
Anyone got the fusebox diagram for which one to pull?

Just pull the lot. Can't be too careful :lol:

Easy to remember ...C4

Today I took the GTS for its MOT having not started it for around 6 months. I filmed it on my phone in case of any weird noises etc that I could seek advice on from the forum but the footage was so bad that you'd get motion sickness watching it (I'm no Spielberg!). The footage from the security cam is more watchable so here it is - please excuse me wandering around with my iphone like some kind of lost Louis Theroux!!!

At around one minute you can hear me switch the PSE on.

All went well and the all-too-short trip to the MOT centre put a smile on my face.

Hopefully the link works...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5fWpTuTWyY

Martian said:
Squelch - Have you bypassed the 'Depress Clutch' microswitch?
Hi Martian, I have two clutches but no pedal, hmmm :?: PDK :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back