Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Rolling road

limey

Trainee
Had my car on the rollers last weekend ahead of the Classic Marques championship, made 288 BHP not to bad after 20 years and 80000 miles. Any one on the forum sprint hillclimb ?

Looking good and partial to a bit of guards red :)

I might put the blue baron on the rollers before the 200 cell cats and then after. Or just see what it makes once they are on

limey said:
Any one on the forum sprint hillclimb ?

I did a few Autosolos last year and was hoping to progress to Sprints this year, but haven't done anything to make it happen yet.

I really want to take the turbo on a rolling road but imo it's a real pain to setup a 4wd rear engined car, there will be fans everywhere.

Demort said:
I guess im sad .. i ignored the car and zoomed in on the tool box to see what was in it :oops:

Thank goodness it isn't just me that does that. At race meetings I find myself genuinely torn between the cars/bikes and the tool chests, nice to know that I must be normal :floor: :floor:

I find small-ish cars with about 300hp tend to be fast, rollers are great for tuning or diagnosing problems but I wouldn't be interested to know how close mine is running to factory numbers as it feels pretty dam quick :D
Out of curiosity, how much do they charge on average to do a power run these days? it used to be roughly £35-40 for a couple of runs.

I have entered the Classic Marques championship which run on a handicap so all the cars are checked to determine power to weight ratio. This will affect your points, all cars compete on a level playing field. My first outing is Gurston Down, one of my favourite hills. I have been out of it for 6 or 7 years. I have run a 2.7 CARRERA, 964 RS, and two other modified 964's. This is going to be fun, as the 996 feels very fast when I was testing last week.

chriscoates81 said:
I really want to take the turbo on a rolling road but imo it's a real pain to setup a 4wd rear engined car, there will be fans everywhere.

I think there's a bit more to it than that with 'our' cars too. I read on here somewhere that they absolutely should not be run on a 4wd dyno, can't remember the reasons.

Cooling etc not a problem for a well set up dyno cell.

plynchy said:
chriscoates81 said:

I think there's a bit more to it than that with 'our' cars too. I read on here somewhere that they absolutely should not be run on a 4wd dyno, can't remember the reasons.

I've also noticed 4wd rollers are a bit like rocking horse poo as there's non in the area I live.

Happily recommend MSD in Blackpool which is where the Cossie will be going back to once I've finished dicking around with it. :?:

plynchy said:
chriscoates81 said:

Its to do with the viscous diff isn't it?

coullstar said:
plynchy said:
chriscoates81 said:

Its to do with the viscous diff isn't it?

When I asked MRC about putting my previous 997 Turbo on their rollers, they would have needed to disconnect the driveshaft to the front wheels, and use a tool on the tip to lock it in gear. Decided it was too much hassle.

What's wrong with the difference, surely rollers are meant to replicate a road? Or is it to do with the low resistance?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back