Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Pccb

noel993

Silverstone
How many miles do pccb last just doing normal driving roughly , and can they be refurbished, Noel

Surface transforms can refurbish oem pccb disks, think they are based in the north. Worth having a chat with them to see what they can do and at what cost etc. I can only imagine as more of the high end performance cars get ceramic discs- the refurbishment service will be more common place. New prices are ridiculous tbh

Good luck 👍

I am in the process of getting rear ceramics refurbished by Automotive Sicom in Germany - they re-grow the carbon onto the disc. 1,100 euros a disc. New discs from Porsche are about £7,000 a pair. Reports on the process have been good. Though I believe the company went through a reorganisation some time back and some feedback you read will be negative on the side of customers not getting replies to emails etc.

The guy I have been dealing with has been very communicative

They are starting a new improved process in May - still this process can take a month or two so I am getting steel discs on the back for a couple of months.

Its the track days that eat into the ceramics

Noel - drop me a PM and I'll give you contact details if you are interested

noel993 said:
How many miles do pccb last just doing normal driving roughly , and can they be refurbished, Noel

It is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question. One car a while back was known to have done over 160000 miles on its original disks, but that was known to be racked up with long range motorway cruising and they really were done at that point (Cobalt blue 996 GT3 comfort IIRC). Conversely, I once saw a 997 GT2 with them completely knackered after only 4 track days (though that isn't typical either).

If it really is just day to day (legal) road driving then you would be pretty disappointed (and indeed unlucky) if they didn't do at least 65000 miles though I reckon. Likely more, as thinking about it I don't think that I have ever heard of a Carrera or Boxster with them fitted ever having needed them changed. If you bought from new and were planning to keep a car long enough, the eye-widening option price can actually be cost effective. But if going on track it is a different story (especially with a 996/997).

Mine are the first generation PCCB (as most on the 996 are). They're on 78k miles. the rears are like brand new but the fronts are starting to delaminate (1-2 areas about 3mm diameter where the surface has flaked off, otherwise they are pristine still).

I've taken the fronts off and put 380mm floating discs on whilst I get them refurbed. Well, I did this 12m + ago and still havent gotten round to sending them off!

Fabulous things.

Mr Pub knows his coconuts by the sounds of it :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back