Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

PORSCHE logo on my ducktail

dp400

Trainee
Picked up my car today and job no.1 is to put a Porsche logo on the back. I've read posts saying you shouldn't put the lettering on straight, instead it should follow the curved line of the bottom of the bott lid.

However I've put my stencil on straight instead of curved and I think it looks corect straight. My stencil is about half way up rather than close to the bottom line so perhaps that makes a difference?

What do you guys think, does it look right in the photos below........

Attachments

• img_3988_1_636.jpg
    img_3988_1_636.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 4,495
  • img_3986_207.jpg
    img_3986_207.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 4,486
  • img_3987_151.jpg
    img_3987_151.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 4,486
Photos????? :dont know:

Here's my old 997 following the curve.

IMG_1392.jpg

and the current model
badge.jpg

with new Porsche 'Classic' lights fitted today.
lights.jpg

The curve is so small you would not think it makes a difference... but it does ;-)

I would follow les's advice , he's done a few now😱 His cars always look spot on.
Have to say love the ducktail spoiler 👍

dp400 there's not much in it to be honest and, as you can see in Les's photos, the curve is very subtle.

Looks alright to me if I'm honest. When I'm doing stuff like this I always wander off for a brew and leave it for a while. If I still like it when I come back then it's job done..........

Look forward to seeing the finished article once you've put the car back on its four wheels. :D :thumb:

Edit: looks like you've got the hang of posting photos on here - it can be a bit emotional at the beginning. :thumbs:

If anyone else is thinking of doing this here's the measuments for the complete set of 991 scripts (spent an hour in my local OPC with a ruler and spirit level).

The Porsche 'S' is in the centre of the boot, and each letter is 80mm from left edge to left edge etc.

The start of the letter 'a' in Carrera is in the centre, then measure the distance from the centre to the end of the word 'Carrera' and mark the other side for the start of the '9'.
The top right edge of the '9' is vertical to the bottom left of the '1', and the same goes for the other '1' but add 2mm.

I`m loving that ducktail :grin:

If I didn`t have an aerokitted car, I`d have one in a heartbeat :D

I`d go straight with the decal, words should be written in a straight line, that is why we have lined paper :thumb:

Let the sheeple do their thing, we old schoolers know better :grin:

Straight line looks like it's sloaping down at the ends when being followed in a car: which is why porsche say keep it parallel to the curve

If I`m honest Les, the Carrera badge on your 997.1 looks like it is sloping down to the right to me :dont know:

But then again my eyesight is pretty crap these days, even with my bins on :sad:

Edit : Which is why I went for just 911, pretty much impossible to get wonky :D

I will get around to this eventually, its quite low on my to do list but I am always confused by the "follow the curve" statement... perhaps it will make more sense when I actually do it...
where is this curve that we need to follow, is it from the top (where the vented pop up spoiler is) or the bottom, its difficult to tell from photos really...

michaelbbwalker said:
I will get around to this eventually, its quite low on my to do list but I am always confused by the "follow the curve" statement... perhaps it will make more sense when I actually do it...
where is this curve that we need to follow, is it from the top (where the vented pop up spoiler is) or the bottom, its difficult to tell from photos really...

The bottom edge of the rear spoiler (even the bottom of the boot lid) is actually curved up. So you measure down from the spoiler to the top/bottom of your center letter and then make sure the distance is the same for each additional Letter. Each letter follows the curve.

Les said:
michaelbbwalker said:

The bottom edge of the rear spoiler (even the bottom of the boot lid) is actually curved up. So you measure down from the spoiler to the top/bottom of your center letter and then make sure the distance is the same for each additional Letter. Each letter follows the curve.

Hi Les, so you DONT follow the curve of the bottom of the boot lid , you follow the curve of the bottom of the retractable spoiler which my car doesn't have being a ducktail?

I'll have to go have another look but I don't think the bottom of the ducktail is all that curved, if at all :?:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back