Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bu@@er my gen2 C4S is broken, update now healed itself lol

Phil 997

My car is dead, deceased , this car is no more, its an ex car, this car has toddled of its mortal coil. lol

I fitted semi semi solid engine mounts and during the initial drive to test them the clutch started to slip ,so I had that changed using an OE clutch while the car was being returned 40 miles the tech noted that he felt slight vibration and a slightly sticky pedal feel , we assumed the vibration was the new engine mounts and the sticky pedal a bit of air in the system , So we then fitted the kit to removed any air in the system , happy the clutch felt good we went for a test drive 4 miles, all seemed fine apart from the slight vibration my comment to the tech was that the semi solids were coming back off the car but that was all. at about 3.5 miles into the test drive there was a sudden vibration through the clutch pedal and across the car like it was spluttering . followed by a nasty tapping noise so we limped the last bit back and then stopped the car . We both looked at each other and said dam thats the duel mass flywheel clearly couldnt take the pressure from the new clutch although on inspection of the DMF during the clutch change it had seemed ok.
Anyway it went off today on a low loader to have a new DMF fitted . once up one the ramp it seems its not coming from the gearbox , but seems close to the engine louder on the right . So the car was borescoped and all seemed ok the oil filter removed and stripped and inspected this all seems normal. so some head scratching and enlisting the help of Baz and Grant at Hartech in the morning for advise
It was a sudden issue and its a 997gen2 4S with 58k on the clock driven daily running millers 10w50 and always warmed up.

Currently busy applying man maths to the situation. So I am now expecting an engine rebuild anything less than that will be a bonus :thumb: :thumb:
fortunately I am only into 1st year of ownership of this 911 and as I kept the last one for 4.5 years it means a min of 3.5 more years with this car so divide the cost of an engine rebuild over that period and its still cheaper than the depreciation of almost any other car ,

Personally I think some of your wives have got together using the womans logic of , If we make Phil skint doing a rebuild he won't have any money to mod his car and then tell our husbands about it ,making them want it and spend the families holiday pot. So I will be checking the fuel for sand and the exhaust for any asst fruit insertion. :grin: :grin: :grin:

If its off the road for a while Dinslaken is not going to be a problem as after threatening to follow in a van with some tyres on the top like a group support vehicle with the driver and passanger wearing lederhosen a member has already offered me the use of his blue baron thank you Nick :worship:
Just goes to show what a great group of people and great community this forum has .

PS I would just like to remind all you third pedal is right gen1s have chocolate engines gen2s are great jockeys . In four and a half years of gen1 tip ownership nothing like this ever happened lol
bring back the gen1 tip all is forgiven :floor: :floor: :floor:

will keep you all posted as we progress through finding what the issue is :thumb: :thumb:

Oh bu@@er........... :nooo:

It seems like the newer Gen 2 engines are not the be all and end all of Porsche ownership problems Phil :nooo:

Let`s hope that it is something not catastrophic requiring a full rebuild.

My sympathies to your bank manager............

kurlykris said:
Oh bu@@er........... :nooo:

It seems like the newer Gen 2 engines are not the be all and end all of Porsche ownership problems Phil :nooo:

Let`s hope that it is something not catastrophic requiring a full rebuild.

My sympathies to your bank manager............

:floor: :floor: Thanks Kris :grin: :thumb: I told my two girls that they would be on bread and water until they were 18 seems thats ok as long as the bread has a burger between it and the water has pepsi syrup in it :floor:

Phil 997 said:
:floor: :floor: Thanks Kris :grin: :thumb: I told my two girls that they would be on bread and water until they were 18 seems thats ok as long as the bread has a burger between it and the water has pepsi syrup in it :floor:

I`ve just told my gaggle the same :grin:

After Oulton Park on Friday in the Boxster, I need to up my game and get the 996.1 up to scratch with a Hartech 3.7 rebuild to keep up with the big boys :grin:

First world problems and all that :nooo:

I assume you have a warranty :?:

kurlykris said:
Phil 997 said:

I`ve just told my gaggle the same :grin:

After Oulton Park on Friday in the Boxster, I need to up my game and get the 996.1 up to scratch with a Hartech 3.7 rebuild to keep up with the big boys :grin:

First world problems and all that :nooo:

I assume you have a warranty :?:

No Warranty mate , the only stock OE part on the car are the mirrors :grin: I think it would fail 108 points of the 111 point check :floor: no this is going to cost hard cash to sort :thumb: now wheres my old sorn off and balaclava gone lol

liking the sound of the 3.7 rebuild on yours :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
No Warranty mate , the only stock OE part on the car are the mirrors :grin: I think it would fail 108 points of the 111 point check :floor: no this is going to cost hard cash to sort :thumb:

liking the sound of the 3.7 rebuild on yours :thumb:

It`s only about £12K mate....................more than I paid for the car :sad: ..............was thinking about trading it in for 997.2 :sad: only joking as I love my 2 babies :cloud9:

I`m upping my hourly rate from the end of the month to pay for it :grin:

:eek:

Hope all is not as bad as it first seems.

Best of luck Phil, here's hoping it's nothing too serious/expensive.

Oh Mate! Gutted for you. Keep us posted, be interested to hear what the issue is. Fingers crossed its the £2.99 left hand giggle pin.

Phil I am gutted for you and hope that the fix needed is not as bad as you think, but it's good you remain philosophical about it and like you said the cost is only the depreciation on any other car. Using man maths as you had the gen1 for 4.5 years and plan to keep the gen2 this long then what ever the out come that's still a reasonable price for owning such nice cars over that amount of time.

Oh pooo.......not good news. Personally I'm hedging my bets on something trivial. Fingers crossed for you mate.

I do hope it is something simple/cheap to fix.Could it be related to the work that you have had done?

Phil.. sorry to hear of this mate, never thought the gen2 would give this kind of trouble as thought Porsche would have ironed out the problems regards to gen1 days etc.. any thoughts what you reckon it could be?? It may have had a hard life before you took ownership ?? Who knows, hopefully it won't need a rebuild as it could be something silly!!! Good luck mate!!!

J

Phil
Sorry to hear that is terrible news. As others have said, let's hope that it's not as serious at what you .right be thinking. Having Baz on the case would be providing me with comfort if I were in your shoes.
Best of luck mate, I'm sure I can speak on behalf of all of 911uk members and say that we are behind you :thumb:

Sounds like a loose engine mount or something. Bet they've not put something back right after doing the job.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back