Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake pads replacement... DIY noob part 2

Robertb

Following on from the successful replacement of discs, I now think I need to do the pads after all as they were more scored than I'd hoped on the inside pair. I'm happy with the process of taking them out and replacing.

Some questions-
- Can I reuse the damping shims?
- where do I put the anti-squeal copper grease?

Any other hints and tips as always gratefully received...

TIA.

An update in case anyone refers to the thread in future...

- Yes you can reuse the anti vibration shims. I gently pinged them off with a Stanley knife, and just replaced them in the calipers. I did not bother to put any adhesive on as the clearance between the pads and the pistons is tight anyway, and one pair of shims fell off as I removed the old pads so clearly weren't attached to the pads anymore. No squeals so far.
- I put the grease (I was recommended to use Ceratec) on the corner of the pad surround where it rests on the guide pins on on the caliper.

Other things-
I put ceratec on the retaining pins when I replaced them, to make their removal easier next time.
I had to remove the calipers to get out the old pads, which had the anti-vibration shims attached to them. Easily done, only two hex bolts.

All in all, discs and pads are an easy and satisfying DIY job for a noob that will save £££.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back