Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New car, poor tyres?

qwerty911

Trainee
After a bit of a weather delay I finally took delivery of a gen2 997 c2s cab. Its a Porsche Approved car from an OPC. I'm very happy with it except the front tyres. At first inspection they have a lot of tread remaining, but I now realise that they are quite worn on the inside. But the biggest issue it that there is visible cracking within the tread. I also note they are date stamped 2613 so are nearly 5 years old. Given the mileage history of the car these tyres have been put on much more recent than 2013. I attach a pic of the cracks. I would appreciate peoples views whether this is OK?

Attachments

• img_1641_970.jpg
    img_1641_970.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3,898
qwerty911 said:
After a bit of a weather delay I finally took delivery of a gen2 997 c2s cab. Its a Porsche Approved car from an OPC. I'm very happy with it except the front tyres. At first inspection they have a lot of tread remaining, but I now realise that they are quite worn on the inside. But the biggest issue it that there is visible cracking within the tread. I also note they are date stamped 2613 so are nearly 5 years old. Given the mileage history of the car these tyres have been put on much more recent than 2013. I attach a pic of the cracks. I would appreciate peoples views whether this is OK?
The general rule of thumb is 6 years and then bin. Given that they're worn on the inside and almost aged out and cescking, I'd be getting a new set on the front. Also keep in mind that these cars are particularly sensitive to tyre pressure so make sure you keep on top of them

I think I might be making a call to the salesman that sold me the car.

I had a similar issue when I picked up my car from an OPC. One rear tyre was new, the other was half worn and nearly down to the wear blocks. The salesman told me it met their standards, I considered it to be poor practice on a `nearly` 200 mph missile costing just south of 70k.
They agreed to put a new tyre on so I now have a matching pair.

I'd be asking the OPC to change them, hard at this stage but worth a shot.

If they're below 3mm they shouldn't have passed the 111 point inspection for the OPC to be able to put a warranty on it.

I'd definitely be after a contribution to a new front pair.

If they agree to fit new tyres, be careful what they offer to fit as they will want to keep the costs down, and fit cheapies. If you are particular about what you want fitted, tell them and if you have to, pay the difference. They shouldn't have handed over a car with tyres in that condition IMO.

Definitely change the tyres, regardless of who pays. I had a similar experience when I bought my (then 5 yr old) car a few years ago. The rears were new and the fronts were feathered on both outside edges.
It had a brand new MOT so they were legal and a check with a tyre company confirmed it but their recommendation was to change them.
As previously mentioned, if you are intending to use the car at speed then they should be of good quality, and at five years old with signs of wear or perishing then better to be safe. :thumb:

T8 said:
If they're below 3mm they shouldn't have passed the 111 point inspection for the OPC to be able to put a warranty on it.

I'd definitely be after a contribution to a new front pair.

This. You've paid a premium for OPC peace of mind, they need to fulfil their side of the bargain and not cut corners.

Shurv said:
If they agree to fit new tyres, be careful what they offer to fit as they will want to keep the costs down, and fit cheapies. If you are particular about what you want fitted, tell them and if you have to, pay the difference. They shouldn't have handed over a car with tyres in that condition IMO.

No OPC will ever fit cheapies. Ever.

I've just had the same issue with my car bought a couple of weeks ago.

Check these out!!!

Contacted the dealer and we're getting them changed. No idea how old they are but they have 6mm and the car has done 30,000...??

Attachments

• tyres_152.jpg
    tyres_152.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3,638
The last time my 997 was at the OPC in 2016 my front's were similar to those in querty911's picture. The service department were very quick to point them out & advise replacements at some extortionate price. Yet when it comes to flogging a car & saving money they are happy to turn a blind eye it would appear. I took their advice but they didn't take my money.

I would contact the OPC , they have a duty of care which is why you pay the premium for the car, I would be expecting them to change those the cracks are imaterial they are 2013 tyres :thumb:

Tyre makes.

Would qwerty911 and b9boy care to care to disclose the make of tyres, please?

Still haven't changed mine but would like to stay clear of a make that might be problematic - or is it just the age of the tyres that's the issue here?

Thanks.

P Zeros

I'm on P Zeros at he moment and am experiencing some issues but they, like me, are getting on a bit that's why I'm looking to change.

Thanks.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back