Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3rd Brake light warning ----------

-- 997 --

Hi, this morning I decided to take the car out on a run on the M25 but when driving the car out a the garage a warning in screen says 3rd Brake light warning, got me son to stand at the rear if the car and I pressed the brake but the no light!!

Question is what kind of bulb is in there or what needs to be changed and also how do I take the light panel off for access etc?

Cheers

J

I believe it's an enclosed LED unit and you have to replace the whole light bar

J, Check its not just a loose wire first before you buy a new unit , and put your retractable spoiler up and see if the light in that is working or not as if its not then its likely a loose wire :thumb:

Mines got condensation in it but still works, hopefully being changed when it goes in for some warranty stuff tomorrow.

Problem with all this LED stuff it gives off no heat to stop moisture gathering :nooo:

Hi Phil, I have a GT3 spoiler fitted more than a year ago and my mate turned of the retractable so no errors will kick in but the rear light used to work etc. Are these led bar lights expensive and how do I take off to check ?

Cheers

J

-- 997 -- said:
Hi Phil, I have a GT3 spoiler fitted more than a year ago and my mate turned of the retractable so no errors will kick in but the rear light used to work etc. Are these led bar lights expensive and how do I take off to check ?

Cheers

J

Ah thats knackered that check then lol . all I can suggest is get it checked for current and if its blown then get another unit , from memory around the £60/70 mark :thumb: its not difficult to remove the whole panel with the brake light in to check the wiring etc.

I have just had both rear light clusters replaced on warranty, so it shouldn't be a problem.

No bulbs it's LED, replaced mine last year.

About £100

Jam911 said:
No bulbs it's LED, replaced mine last year.

About £100

Id rather take off the 3rd Brake light and test the power to the brake light just to confirm it isn't an electrical fault but as you guys says it's most likely to be the brake light..

Can anyone tell me how to take that back panel off where the brake light sits in ?

Cheers

J

Yep.

Take off the rear carpeted trim panel that butts up to the windscreen inside, you have to pull hard to get this off.

I ordered new clips from Porsche as they can brake when pulling the carpeted trim.

Then use a long , I think 10ml socket, to undo the brake light strip.

You unplug the light strip and plug and new one in,

It's fiddly but pretty simple.

I think there is a guide if you Google it,

Thanks for your replies all !! I managed to take out the back 3rd Brake light!! Wasn't bad as I thought..

Well what i did was I attached the light straight to the battery and it lights up so that's £80 saved!! Then i used a multimeter on the wireing loom to the brake light to see if any voltage is shown but the ground (negative) showed no connection to cabling so I by bypassed this to The chassis and tested it again on multimeter and shows voltage and connected it up and works. Reason is this in think it's because I made a tailgate wiring loom for the fan and light for the GT3 spoiler and the original tailgate loom which was originally used I've put back in the standard tailgate anyway there is a switch that turns off the 3rd Brake light when the tail raises... so what happned was the new loom that i made I did not make a bypass cable to activate the 3rd Brake light on, hope that makes sense. So it's bypassed on the chassis rather than switch.

The rear seating area is bloody small, I felt like claustrophobic in there.. SOD that if I'm to do it again!

Cheers !!

J

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back