Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 Daily driver, the only drawback.

PanozGTR

Silverstone
Last July l finally purchased my dream car, a 997.2 Carrera 2S. Since then l have driven it pretty much everyday and it has performed beautifully, which is great. You,ll have to bear with me for a bit while l explain the only drawback of the Porker as a daily driver.
Now the thing is l have always had fast cars with my last car being a supercharged Audi S4 (great car) with lots of power. So when l first drove the 997 l was used to fast cars. However, the penny has only just dropped to finally realize that the Carrera really is my dream car. Now to my point. About four weeks ago when the snow and freezing weather was forecast, l tucked my pride and joy up in the garage and plugged the Ctek charger in (great bit of kit, thanks to the forum for the heads up). My replacement has been a 2003 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 that my son has kindly given me. It has ferried me back an forth to work covering 64 miles each day. It has screamed it's nuts off up and down the dual carriage ways, but has coped well considering the weather conditions. So today l could not wait any longer and liberated my Porker from the warmth of the garage. Wow, just Wow! I suddenly realized just what a truly great car the Porsche is, and it has taken the comparison between two totally different car's to enlighten me. No other car that l have owned has put a bigger smile on my face.
So finally to my point. The Porsche 911 was designed to be a daily driver which it really is, but if you drive it every day you can get numbed to the great driving experience that is delivered not just the power but the whole driving thing. Moving forward lt is still going to be my daily driver but l will make sure that every drive is savoured just as it should be. :thumbs:

Yep I was the same with my 997.1 4S I used it daily for 3 years and I got used to how great it was and I stopped being an enthusiast. I bought the turbo and it felt so special I bought a cooper D works to do all the ***** runs. Now I do as many miles in the turbo but more as a enthusiast again, Euro trips and runs out with like minded Porsche fans.
The Cooper D a great little car, £20 road tax and 50+ to the gallon means it pays for itself with my man maths :thumbs:

Great post mate , I drive mine nearly every day and I fully appreciate what your saying about getting almost complacent to how special it is, and I remind myself regularly how fortunate I am to be able to drive it daily and when ever I want.
My clutch slipped badly 11 days ago it was replaced on Thurs with a visual inspection of the DMF looking like it was fine, anyway today the DMF lunched itself within a couple of mins of driving the car :sad: fortunately very close to home . So its back off the road until the middle of next week when its off to be sorted.
This will be the longest period in 5.5 years that I have not driven a 911 I am getting the shakes and a dry mouth ,so I have no idea how the guys that sorn them over winter manage :grin: :thumb:

Sounds expensive, Phil....

mikeluke said:

Think the clutch and DMF is going to be something over 2K mate :sad: thats a lot of mods money to spend :grin:

Feel your pain, mines in for new high pressure fuel pump, whilst there please can you do an oil change, oh & annoyingly I have a couple of chips on the bumper so can you respray that, oh & off on a trip soon so can you make me some euro plates?

Wouldn't bother if it were any other car, but like my 911 perfect! These cars really are very special, good post OP.

Think my wallet is in for a similar kicking Phil! Id buy you a drink but I'm down to tap water!

Europlates? Soon to be obsolete so wouldn't bother. Looks cooler with the old (new) style GB badge.

4 years as a daily in mine now and every drive is as special. It's like sex, too much is not enough!! Especially with something a cut above what most others are s**ging, sorry driving.

Phil 997 said:
mikeluke said:

Think the clutch and DMF is going to be something over 2K mate :sad: thats a lot of mods money to spend :grin:

Ouch! But, better to have happened at home/now rather than while you're enjoying the delights of the Dinslaken trip or somewhere else I suppose Phil? :dont know:

Attachments

• gvil7tc_204.jpg
    gvil7tc_204.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 4,014
Oh, and to keep the thread on track - I couldn't agree more with your sentiments PanozGTR. Alas I wish I could use mine as a daily driver but I think the roads (a very loose description) out here would defeat even the most determined.

FRZ 911 said:
Phil 997 said:
mikeluke said:

Ouch! But, better to have happened at home/now rather than while you're enjoying the delights of the Dinslaken trip or somewhere else I suppose Phil? :dont know:

Loving the Every Cloud has a silver lining :)

I found myself doing about 10k miles a year on the M6, pretty much in traffic the whole way which really killed the enjoyment of the 911 - no longer felt special etc. I bought a BMW 120d and it changed everything, every time I got into the 911 afterwards it was an occasion.

Jay. said:
I found myself doing about 10k miles a year on the M6, pretty much in traffic the whole way which really killed the enjoyment of the 911 - no longer felt special etc. I bought a BMW 120d and it changed everything, every time I got into the 911 afterwards it was an occasion.

Agree 👍👍 funny thing is I used my 996 C2 daily and never got bored, maybe it's timing. I can't imagine me ever wanting another mark though the 911 is an amazing car!!!

Thanks for the replies chaps. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back