Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What's up with Porsche and its stock of spares

Phil 997

I have been seeing lots of reports of spares or replacement parts on back order with Porsche recently for its non current models , we are not talking 70s and 80s air cooled we are talking 6 yr old models like the 997.
no PSE available etc etc , I was told by my OPC that I had just brought the last UK based clutch kit for my 997.2 , I know there are probably more in Germany of the clutch but it is a basic item not to have stock of in the UK.
I was wondering if the Design 911 stock control and progress chaser who was at D911 last year had moved jobs to Porsche and this was why we were seeing this problem :grin: :grin:

What happened to Porsche's commitment to carry spares for older cars , how are they going to get round cars with Warranty that cannot get a basic item like a new PSE and the owner is forced through no fault of their own to buy an aftemarket exhaust to keep their car on the road , how are things like that going to work. :?: :dont know: anyone got any thoughts on it.

Took me 3 months to source a replacement turbo from Porsche, they ended up searching their network globally to get me one. I was told they found 3 in the end and one was already reserved. Borg Warner had frozen production also, i'm just glad it was over the winter months as it would have been sorn anyway.

Porsche only make so much stock then production stops .

Ie they will have say 500 shocks on the shelf and that will last say 5 years .. when they run out they find a manufactuor to make another batch .. which is easier said than done .

Some times this takes a while .. some times its for a rare part so they wait untill theres several orders .. this is back order .

I often fit parts that are 5 years old and even older at times .

Longest wait .. hmm .. i think 10 monthes for an oil tank .. but we had a targa that sat at work for 4 monthes not long ago waiting for motors .. basically there were none in the world .

997 has been out of production for a while now im afraid and some parts are running low .. Porsche doesn,t like paying for hundreds of items to sit on the shelf for years until they get their money back .. i can kinda understand that .

waited 3months for a new PSE exhaust valve last year for a 997.1 could get one any where all on backorder so i was told..

Just saying , i must have been lucky as i got 2 new pse exhaust valves last week no problem .

It does look slightly bleak though , that there is the mysterious beast called back order lurking out there .

I have porsche warranty and would not be best pleased waiting more than 2 weeks for a rare warranty part.

Still every cloud , the breakers could clean up , however used parts prices could become dearer than the original rrp.

I shall end with a prestige german car brand worth absolutely billions and they cant rent a shed a store a few old parts .....or friggin make them in house
:evil:

Its going to get more and more common im afraid , as the cars get older then they will stop makeing parts altogether .

Many of the more unusual parts on air cooled cars are a struggle to obtain these days .

Demort said:
997 has been out of production for a while now im afraid and some parts are running low .. Porsche doesn,t like paying for hundreds of items to sit on the shelf for years until they get their money back .. i can kinda understand that .

I don't. Porsche is constantly cashing in on its heritage, routinely shows off about things like how many of its cars are still on the road etc. It's hypocritical to then not supply parts or to charge offensive mark ups.

They're hugely profitable through their new car sales alone and personally I think they have a duty to supply parts at a reasonable price

Just took the local OPC over a week to sort an engine mount out for me, replaced under warranty but had to get one from another branch as no stock otherwise available...

rhino-man said:
Just took the local OPC over a week to sort an engine mount out for me, replaced under warranty but had to get one from another branch as no stock otherwise available...

engine mounts are a basic thing , thats not even an unusual request :nooo: :nooo:

Phil 997 said:
rhino-man said:

engine mounts are a basic thing , thats not even an unusual request :nooo: :nooo:

I know, really poor, its like running out of water pumps.

With the fact Porsche are now providing warranty on vehicles up to 15 years this could get interesting, what happens to a customer's car if they cannot obtain parts for a warranty claim and the car is not usable? I know the warranty is very good but will it keep you mobile for what could be quite a long time while waiting for parts?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back