Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 C2 (and poss 996 C4S) required for excellent day out!

Sunday is Mothers Day!! you might be short on uptake....

Sorry J,
Cannot make it (Mother's Day lunch......yippee). Would have loved to re-visit the A5, too. Also car not terribly standard any more.

Look forward to reading the write-up. :thumb:

@EGTE- I read the article and revisit of your car with the trick suspension. Has made me suffer coil-over envy, if there is such a thing!

Price-wise, how do the Exe TCs stack up vs Ohlins R&T at around £3k?

EGTE said:
Sorry J,
Cannot make it (Mother's Day lunch......yippee). Would have loved to re-visit the A5, too. Also car not terribly standard any more.

Look forward to reading the write-up. :thumb:

Thanks!

I would have been in touch already, but I think your car is too far gone (in a good way!) for this one. Idea is as detailed a comparison of C2, C4 and C4S as I can manage in a day!

Not going to be able to do it this weekend, but hopefully will get it done in the next few months.

Robertb said:
@EGTE- I read the article and revisit of your car with the trick suspension. Has made me suffer coil-over envy, if there is such a thing!

Price-wise, how do the Exe TCs stack up vs Ohlins R&T at around £3k?

Hi Robert,
I was super lucky to see a second-hand set of 3-way 996 Cup suspension on PH Classifieds for £3.5K. I spoke to the Exe-tc guys (they're just a few miles from me too, which is handy) and they said they could easily fit the C2 (just rotate the reservoir). I knocked the seller down to £3K and had a £700 rebuild done on them with softer spring rates (MUCH softer than Ohlins), as recommended by Exe-tc.

I am extremely happy with them and in the long-run they will save me a fortune, because I just won't be able to sell the car now (which I normally do every 2 years.....:D )

So they were about £3.7 K. List Price used to be £8K I think :eek: but now significantly less (around £5K new for 3-ways, maybe £4K for 1-ways?). However I do now (spoke to Rob just today) that Exe-tc have been doing a lot of 996 development work with Tuthills this last year, so maybe something newer/cheaper planned?

Blimey... so not cheap then!

Interesting what you say about the work with Tuthills. I reckon there would be a big market for UK owners, looking for a road-biased set up suitable for our shocking roads.

Cheap, no. :D Worth it, definitely; magical is a good word for them.

Did you read the January 991&PW article about the Ohlins on the 996? Center Gravity didn't like the spring rates and dropped them from 60N/mm front and 120 N/mm rear, down to 40N/mm front and 60 N/mm rear. Only then were they really soft enough for B-road use, so shows how stiff they are.

There's a great set of rebuilt Mark-1 GT3 suspension in classifieds with very similar spring rates to the improved Ohlins (and not far off Exe-tcs) for £1000; I would go for those in a flash, if I was in the market.

Cheers.

Interesting what you say about spring rates. The fixation with rock hard German ride is misplaced (maybe works on the smooth continental roads) in my view.

I read another article a while ago about Ohlins in a Cayman IIRC... it was damning in faint praise and highlighted occasional shudders that went through the frame. Your comments show the value of a set-up by the likes of CG who can make changes to usual spec. When funds allow, I shall go to them and explain what I'm looking for, rather than just buying bits and hoping for the best.

Better to have some built-in compliance. Jaguar and Lotus get that...

Sadly not sure that those GT3 Bilsteins will fit a 4S.

Sorry, I can't bring my C4S - really hoping you can drive mine when everything aligns.

Did you get the other two cars?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back