Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The should I shouldn''t I thread.......

jonttt

Monaco
So March is here which is when most hobby cars get taxed, MOT'd and put back on the road ready for Spring.

I was all set to do this for my BGTS, excited to get it back on the road, like waiting for a new car, etc..... (I was even thinking of getting the 993 on the road :eek: ).......

But the weather is sh!t, salt everywhere :nooo:

The weather forecast this week is slightly better with rain :roll: to hopefully clear the salt :dont know:

I'm hoping to make the RS track day on Friday but fear I may rock up in a BMW :eek:

So who has the same dilemmas due to the weather and has delayed getting their pride and joy out this weekend :?:

jonttt said:
I'm hoping to make the RS track day on Friday but fear I may rock up in a BMW :eek:

So I won't need to bring my valuation tent then :dont know:

The whole salt dilema is totally over rated. People compare doing a 30 mile trip on a salty road as having it parked up for 6 months on the Titanic. Weekly washes and a good hose down underneath is sufficient enough to prevent any salty issues IMHO.

I bought my 911 to use as a daily but I've made it too shiny now :roll:

alex yates said:
The whole salt dilema is totally over rated. People compare doing a 30 mile trip on a salty road as having it parked up for 6 months on the Titanic. Weekly washes and a good hose down underneath is sufficient enough to prevent any salty issues IMHO.

You might say that but you haven't seen the state of my undercarriage :oops:

The GTS for sure. Last summer I got to have a good look under my car whilst at CG and to say that it's in pristine condition was an understatement. I use my car all year around.
The o my signs of oxidisation was on the rear discs (common issue) and engine block. Engine block can be sorted with a stiff brush and appropriate cleaning agent back to factory finish.
Mine will be 10 years old this year but looks far younger underneath.

The 944 will get taxed this week and has been off the road most of the Winter as I wasn't planning to use it, more than worry about salty roads, its well sealed from when I did mini restoration so it would be fine if it was to be used.

The 996 is always taxed and sits most of its life outside waiting for a weekend blast (will be going out today) and any surface rust I spot gets sorted out without fail, the worst cars are the ones that never get checked and only get found to be corroded when they fail an MOT some 20 years down the line.

The 996 inner sills will be getting inspected this month when I get it into the garage for some other work and will get Waxoyled as I think 17 years in it should be sealed from the inside to stop any potential rot, we are starting to see a few that are showing some corrosion in this area now.

alex yates said:

Its not out of fear of getting it "salty", its the fear of getting it "dirty" :grin:

jonttt said:
Its not out of fear of getting it "salty", its the fear of getting it "dirty" :grin:

alex yates said:
Weekly washes and a good hose down underneath is sufficient enough.

It's worked for me for 46 years.......as well as any cars I've owned. :lol:

Do it! Make an allowance to wash off the salt if it bothers you

Rain = wet salt !
My cars apart from my daily are off the road when they are slinging salt and grit on the roads, corrosion and stonechips, chemistry answers my questions.
Will be rocking up to Oulton in a BMW again, 944 is in bits anyway, 997 hibernating until sunshine, hats off to the people who use them daily though, should really look to buy some Pork that I cannot be too precious about.
:thumb:

I couldn't imagine life now without my daily fix of mine. I even take it on holiday with me. Sig pic shows how it should be used.

No interest in using mine in crap weather. It's no fun second guessing what will be around the next bend, ice, huge puddles, potholes.

I have better things to do than wash cars. A banger suits me.

Trouble with salt is it gets into places where we can't get to to wash it back out and a wash with no wiping won't get it off.
Try jetwashing a car without washing it with a sponge or washmitt. You'll blast some bigger bits of dirt off but it will be nowhere near clean.

We all do it our own way but for me I'd rather waft round in a big estate car that I don't have to pamper and can do my runs to the DIY store easily.
I'll keep the 911 for dry weather drives when the road surfaces are consistent and I can have fun.

After having all new fixings put on the turbo after its rebuild and running it in during this weather (and washing it after each run) I can confirm they are all corroded. Its only been a month :roll:

Salt, water and metal = corrosion. Heat just speeds it up massively.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back