Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Mk1 GT3 exhaust - track days

Turbojim997

Hi Chaps

I was having a poke under the car and noticed some corrosion on the seams of both back boxes. I can weld them up and that will get more life out of them for now but looking to the future what does everyone do when the finally go?

My biggest concern with the aftermarket route is failing track day noise limits so any advice appreciated.

I have recently been through this same saga, albeit with a 996.2 GT3.

My exhaust system was structurally in good health, but the baffles were blown through (I registered 113 DB at Brands Hatch) and the emissions were not great.. suggesting that the CATS were due for repacking or replacement.

I considered many options including a full refurbishment of the OEM system from the likes of Hayward & Scott but the costs will mount quickly if the CATs are gone. You can easily spend £1500 + labour to re pack cats and back boxes.

Going aftermarket opens a plethora of options but you'll find that all and sundry are prepared to quote fantastic power gains but few manufacturers will stand by their running volume. Not helpful if you wish to track the car.

I PM'd a number of fellow owners on this site who were very helpful in guiding me through my options. The general gist is to avoid to cherry picking various components from various brands, unless you like spending twice. Personally I found both M&M (Germany) and Kline to be the most helpful and also the most willing to customise my build in order to meet track day noise restrictions.

Ultimately I decided to go with M&M based on feedback here and their race heritage. I have small additional silencers built into the X-pipe, with large street silencers before the tail pipes.

I have not tracked the car this calendar year but the car is far quieter than before with lots more mechanical engine noise and less exhaust boom/drone. M&M are confident that previous customers are registering 101-103 DB at 6000 RMP static but time will tell.

I hope that helps..

Matt

With a couple of spots coming up on the RS Day at Oulton Park, I was weary of snapping one up as I've had the Tubi exhaust put on my car. Whilst there on the day I had them check for me on the day. I hit 103db on mine 997.2 C2S.
I realise that they're completely different engines but thought I'd share my experience. I did notice a few GT3's on the day had funny diverters on the exhaust, assuming it's point the noise down to avoid setting off alarms

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back