Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Early 996 aero cars factory options

IanG1

Monza
Looking for a guru on these cars to help me identify what was factory and what may be latter additions on these cars
I have been offered first refusal on a 1998 cable throttle 996 aero kitted car with M030 with H & R springs, LSD,TC it is non sunroof, hard back black leather sports seats so pretty much what appears to be the holy grail of early 996 cars.
My question is what codes should I be looking for on the options sticker to ensure what infront of me actually is a factory optioned car and not one with all the bits added which I presume will effect long term value? Any other pointers or clues, read somewhere that front bumpers have centre intake for radiator blanked on factory carrera cars but the GT3 and the later supplied bumper this is open to feed the additional radiator on a GT3. Also read something about gurney strips and black/body colour being right/wrong etc
Also further confused that have also read some cars came out of the factory non aero and the aero kit was fitted by supplying dealer before sale? how can I identify if this is indeed true and could have been the case?
I want to get this right and pay a value that reflects what it actually is if that makes sense?

Any help greatly appreiciated.

Ian
By the way the car is NOT one of the aero cars currently on ebay etc from a single seller or otherwise advertised at the moment for sale.

Morning Ian,

Am definitely not an expert....am sure one will be along shortly, who is better placed. However you can look up most options via the sticker thats on the inside of the Frunk lid and also stuck in the front of the service book.

There is a decoder on the web that tells you what all the option codes (listed on the sticker) mean. Not sure this will help with the Aero kit, as I have read similar to you, that these weren't always fitted at factory, despite being ordered from new with the car!

GLWTS

Ben

I don't think it'll make any difference to value.

Agree wont have any affect on value for a car that is almost 20 years old whether it was factory, dealer or retro fitted. If it is a genuine aero kit I don't see a problem, unless it is a badly fitted kit or damaged. The front splitter is low to the ground so is likely to have been replaced in the cars life (Many times if links on this site are followed!), they can be colour coded or black but again at £200ish for a replacement not a major factor (I only know this as I have asked similar questions in the past!)

Some real experts on here that will have better knowledge but I know that not all aero kit bodied 996 came out of the factory with the kit on the options list as I believe some were dealer fitted or not added (You can clearly see if the kit is on the car not like some options. :D

I'm no expert but happy to share what I know. The aerokit could be 'factory supplied' and fitted by dealer during the Prep for sale (PDI?). It will not have the factory aerokit code in this situation. If it was factory-fitted, it will.

It can also be retro fitted. Don't know where that cost of £200 for front aerokit comes from. Last I enquired at OPC I was quoted around £600 + spray to body colour around £200 + VAT at Porsche -approved bodyshop and half hour labour to fit.

If it wasn't specified with aerokit at time of purchase (the dealer who sold the car will verify) then I would want to rule out a serious collision by having a PPI and asking all the body panels be checked as well as carpets lifted up and look for welds. Also remove the headlights and check inside wing for paint spray etc.
It happens - possibly by a owner going way back. You don't want to buy a crash repaired wreck I presume.

for clarity £200 is the cost supplied by others for a replacement part not from dealer which is more like £600 as stated above. If I was to replace mine I would use after market as £600 for a part that is likely to be damaged (most people i have spoken too call them a consumable!) seems a little steep, but if you want genuine then the above costs are what you should factor in.

for clarity £200 is the cost supplied by others for a replacement part (Ebay etc) not from dealer which is more like £600 as stated above. If I was to replace mine I would use after market as £600 for a part that is likely to be damaged (most people i have spoken too call them a consumable!) seems a little steep, but if you want genuine then the above costs are what you should factor in.

The option code for an aerokit on a 996 is XAA. However it seems that there are quite a few 996s with aerokits that do not show the XAA code on the option list, but are believed to have had the aerokit factory fitted. Mine is one such car - according to Porsche GB it was ordered as one of 6 GT3 "replicas" in Zanzibar Red by Porsche GB for the UK GT3 launch in late 1999. It does not have the XAA option code but does have the 09981 code - "Vehicle transfer to VRS for the installation of Exclusive parts". This is when Porsche took cars off the production line to fit specific parts, which I can only assume where the aerokit was fitted. There are lots of option code anomalies with Porsche over the years - just Google "09981" or "09991" (mine shows both of these codes).
As has already been said, as long as the aerokit is original Porsche, then it won't have any real effect on the value of the car vs being factory fitted, but aerokit cars are generally worth more than the equivalent non aerokit car.
Unlike the GT3, the aerokit front PU only has two cut outs, with an indentation instead of the middle cut out. Some people have opened these up (and some have added a GT3 3rd radiator too) and some have painted it in a grey or black (which the OP did to my car).
The front splitter (part number 99650598600) is black plastic and designed to be sacrificial - it is held in place by 13 plastic "expansion rivets" (11 x part numbers 99950742740 and 2 x 99650749740). It used to be £30 to replace from your OPC. When I enquired last year, as mine was slightly scratched, to supply a replacement (including the expansion rivets) Exeter OPC quoted me £130 (I am not sure where people are getting their £600 costs above, perhaps that is for the 996.2 version?. As it was perfectly serviceable and will only get scratched again, I decided just to clean it up with "Back to Black".
On a 996.1 GT3, on the lower section of the rear wing/engine cover (99651290191) there is also a lip spoiler (part number 99651298800) which many aerokit cars seem not to have (mine included). This is sometimes painted - it is around £400 now!
According to my year 2000 UK 996 Price list, the "Aerokit" (which was also called the Aerokit Cup) was a £4,995 option, whilst the "Aerokit Carrera" (with smaller rear spoiler I believe) was £4,225.
Good luck!

Fastlane said:
The option code for an aerokit on a 996 is XAA. However it seems that there are quite a few 996s with aerokits that do not show the XAA code on the option list, but are believed to have had the have the aerokit factory fitted. Mine is one such car - according to Porsche GB it was ordered as one of 6 GT3 "replicas" in Zanzibar Red by Porsche GB for the UK GT3 launch in late 1999. It does not have the XAA option code but does have the 09981 code - "Vehicle transfer to VRS for the installation of Exclusive parts". This is when Porsche took cars off the production line to fit specific parts, which I can only assume where the aerokit was fitted. There are lots of option code anomalies with Porsche over the years - just Google "09981" or "09991" (mine shows both of these codes).
As has already been said, as long as the aerokit is original Porsche, then it won't have any real effect on the value of the car vs being factory fitted, but aerokit cars are generally worth more than the equivalent non aerokit car.
Unlike the GT3, the aerokit front PU only has two cut outs, with an indentation instead of the middle cut out. Some people have opened these up (and some have added a GT3 3rd radiator too) and some have painted it in a grey or black (which the OP did to my car).
The front splitter (part number 99650598600) is black plastic and designed to be sacrificial - it is held in place by 13 plastic "expansion rivets" (11 x part numbers 99950742740 and 2 x 99650749740). It used to be £30 to replace from your OPC. When I enquired last year, as mine was slightly scratched, to supply a replacement (including the expansion rivets) Exeter OPC quoted me £130 (I am not sure where people are getting their £600 costs above, perhaps that is for the 996.2 version?. As it was perfectly serviceable and will only get scratched again, I decided just to clean it up with "Back to Black".
On a 996.1 GT3, on the lower section of the rear wing/engine cover (99651290191) there is also a lip spoiler (part number 99651298800) which many aerokit cars seem not to have (mine included). This is sometimes painted - it is around £400 now!
According to my year 2000 UK 996 Price list, the "Aerokit" (which was also called the Aerokit Cup) was a £4,995 option, whilst the "Aerokit Carrera" (with smaller rear spoiler I believe) was £4,225.
Good luck!
Thanks mate, that is exactly the info I was after, much appreciated

Early Cable throttle 996s is the current hot spot for 996s. They are attracting a premium and in my opinion is where values will grow or be firm at least; and as you say, the holy grail!

Not sure if you are paying a 'premium' price for this or you just want validity, but you are right to want it checked out and I am with Cheshire on this, better if it was factory ordered and fitted. You are obviously trying to check out its authenticity. If aftermarket, there will be a value difference against an authentic option.

If aftermarket or fitted significantly after new, could negatively affect the value.

If on the options ticket, it will be good.

Like Cheshire, not an exert, but have read a lot on the emergence of early cable throttle 996s with collectors and those who appreciate classics.

Good luck!

Sorry and I'm totally biased here, but there is no way a genuine Aerokit fitted at a later date will negatively affect values.

As long as it is made up of genuine factory parts and is fitted properly using the genuine factory fitting kits then it simply will not lower the value of a car.
You aren't drilling anything or adding anything technical that the factory would have done better. All fixing points are already on every car.

The kit, even second hand, is £2000+ plus paint so the best part of £3000.

Factory fitted cars may be worth a touch more in future but I'd rather have an absolute gem of a car with a retro fitted kit, than an average car with a factory fitted kit.

Either way either will cost more than a plain Jane model. :thumb:

I agree about copy stuff though. It's usual cheap, brittle and doesn't fit right.
Although some items can be decent.

Marky911 said:
Sorry and I'm totally biased here, but there is no way a genuine Aerokit fitted at a later date will negatively affect values.

As long as it is made up of genuine factory parts and is fitted properly using the genuine factory fitting kits then it simply will not lower the value of a car.
You aren't drilling anything or adding anything technical that the factory would have done better. All fixing points are already on every car.

The kit, even second hand, is £2000+ plus paint so the best part of £3000.

Factory fitted cars may be worth a touch more in future but I'd rather have an absolute gem of a car with a retro fitted kit, than an average car with a factory fitted kit.

Either way either will cost more than a plain Jane model. :thumb:

I agree about copy stuff though. It's usual cheap, brittle and doesn't fit right.
Although some items can be decent.

Post edited. I agree.

Well, I'm pretty much with you on that Marky!
You said it won't affect values - and then heavily qualify it by saying 'As long as it..........' so fully agree!

However, even though it may be a genuine kit, to a purist judging a car against the options sticker as the car passes into classic status, it could very well affect the value if not specified on the sticker. As the OP says, the car is pretty much the Holy Grail of 996s, more so if on the options sticker!
:thumb:

If the kit is on a 'plain Jane' regular 996, then the value of it is a matter of personal taste.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpc
Back