Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Any suggestions for a radio upgrade

kas750

Zandvoort
For my 98 996.I want something in keeping with the 996 dash and be capable of being connected to the factory 6 speaker amp.

Depends on your budget - the Porsche Classic Nav is perfect, but its £1000+

Do you want single DIN, or go the whole hog and move the climate control and put a screen in?

I went with a single DIN Kenwood which had a relatively simple facia and allowed the screen/button colour to be customised to match the dash illumination.

Xtrons Double Din :D

£140

F*** that s*** paying £600+

Did you see the guy on PH with the Xtrons install on his Boxster S. Quite nice IMHO.

sAuKqysh.jpg

T3eXd7Fh.jpg

If you are interested in the continental head units it's more cost effective to get them direct from the manufacturer rather them exporting them to the US and buying them from a third party and re importing them back into Europe.

http://www.vdoshop.co.uk/acatalog/CDD7418UB-OR.html

Thanks for the replies chaps.Ideally I would like to stay single din as I don't want to modify the dash opening,although I must say they look very neat! :?:

asterix_the_gaul said:
If you are interested in the continental head units it's more cost effective to get them direct from the manufacturer rather them exporting them to the US and buying them from a third party and re importing them back into Europe.

http://www.vdoshop.co.uk/acatalog/CDD7418UB-OR.html

But presumably that one doesn't come with a wonky 'PORSCHE" sticker over the original Continental branding ?

I've somewhat of a collection of Becker headunits, and I've settled on the 7820 as the best match for the 996 dash. The buttons are too fiddly on the Cascade, and the illumination is wrong. The Indianapolis is partway between the two, but the display doesn't do negative illumination and the screen is grey when it's off unlike the rest of the dash. I like the 7820.

12421803010955211b.jpg

I don't care too much for the bells & whistles that other people obsess over. I can play CDs, or plug my phone into the aux input. Or use a cheapie Bluetooth dongle if I REALLY need to. That's all I need.

Sundayjumper said:
I've somewhat of a collection of Becker headunits, and I've settled on the 7820 as the best match for the 996 dash. The buttons are too fiddly on the Cascade, and the illumination is wrong. The Indianapolis is partway between the two, but the display doesn't do negative illumination and the screen is grey when it's off unlike the rest of the dash. I like the 7820.

12421803010955211b.jpg

I don't care too much for the bells & whistles that other people obsess over. I can play CDs, or plug my phone into the aux input. Or use a cheapie Bluetooth dongle if I REALLY need to. That's all I need.

Wow, and I thought I had a hoarding issue.. That's an impressive collection!
I bought a 14 quid hardware Bluetooth kit for mine too, I keep on looking at the continental headunit though.. Don't think I can live with the heater controls in the lowest position to allow double din and I don't have Alex's engineering skills to move it up..

I have a CR21 Tape deck but one of the outputs to the front left speaker doesn't work.
I have swapped the speakers over and tried another amp so I think the headunit is the fault.

Its a pity because because otherwise the sound is quite good :thumb:

Oh and I like that it says Porsche on the front of it :grin:

:wack: :lol:

kas750 said:
I have a CR21 Tape deck but one of the outputs to the front left speaker doesn't work.
I have swapped the speakers over and tried another amp so I think the headunit is the fault.

Its a pity because because otherwise the sound is quite good :thumb:

Oh and I like that it says Porsche on the front of it :grin:

:wack: :lol:

Let me know if you replace it, and will let it go. I have a tatty one in need of decent buttons and front.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back