Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Jay's 996 Turbo Thread

Jay.

Imola
Hi there,

I've been wanting to do one for a while, as I love keeping putting updates on the car for both myself and the public.

I bought the car over 2 years ago, so I'll slowly dig through the phone pictures and stuff and try and update it until I 'catch up' to current day. I still look back at the car every time I walk away from it.

Background

I've wanted a Porsche since I was a young, like most of us I suppose! My dream car was a 964 Turbo, but obviously well out of my price range. After doing plenty (and plenty more) research, I eventually settled on getting a 996 C2 - something that's fun to drive without a particularly high outlay.

31733.jpg

The Dream.

996 Turbo

Some man maths (and a cheeky low-interest loan) later and my budget doubled. I figured I'd score a low priced/high mileage Tip Turbo for around £25k. After viewing 4, I figured I might need to go back to the drawing board.

An old friend got in contact with me, his boss was selling his very good conditioned Turbo but didn't want the hassle of selling it properly. It was significantly out of my price range, but it was the perfect package for everything I was looking for. The car benefits from a £5,000 major service just 3 months ago (including radiators, suspension, brake discs & calipers and various "bits" that needed doing) and was in perfect condition. I figured if I could stretch my budget then I'd win in the long run... Man maths :thumb:

I did everything wrong when buying a car - I bought the car in the rain, on a dull Sunday afternoon, and didn't get a PPI. I only briefly looked over the service history and took it for a short test drive - didn't even get it warm.. :oops:

Excuse the crappy photo:

Cb28OEu.jpg

• *59k Miles
    *Seal Grey
    *Black Interior
    *Tiptronic Gearbox
    *FSH, recent Major

Hi Jay

I am a 964 Turbo fan!

The 996 didn't do it for me at all when they first came out. I hated the lights, interior, oh and did I say the lights?

That said, I think the ugly duckling has started to age rather well. I actually think the 996 WB 4S is in the top 3 best 911 rears of them all.

I don't think I am on my own when you consider how much prices have moved on these in the last 2 years.

Turbo and 4S are my favorite 996

Looks like you got a nice motor. :thumb:

Nice little write up there, Jay. What a great find, the car looks well cared for even with the rainy pic. The front ride height looks pretty stock so the springs haven't sagged, ditto the rear so there is every chance it has been sympathetically driven. Had the wheels been referred prior to purchase, they look really nice?

Agreed re the 964 :worship:

NickHappy said:
Nice choice if I do say so!!

:thumb:

I say the same..nice choice :D :thumb:

Great looking car!

The shiny hubs and wheel inners show it was cherished by the last owner.

Has much been needed over the last 2 yrs?

Lovely. :cloud9:

As said, it looked immaculate on collection. Really nice.

Thanks for the positive comments guys!

To answer a few questions:

The car was stored and looked after at a professional detailers place, which explains the pristine bodywork and wheel condition. It had the original wheels completely resprayed and I couldn't find a mark on them! The condition of them was (and still is) perfect. The car has picked up quite a few stone chips since I've owned it, which really did upset me! I was following a large rubble lorry which spilled a few stones over the car, and there's at least 3-4 "chips" that are down to the paint.. I'm over it now, but it did make me pretty sad for a few months every time I washed the car.

After making this post, I looked through all the things needed since I bought the car.

Only 3 things so far have needed doing, which I had an Indy to look at:

• 1) New clockspring - old one had worn out and was displaying an airbag warning light. ~£300
    2) Corroded transmission oil pipe caused a leak in the transmission. I had the pipe replaced and the transmission overhauled whilst the thing was open. In total it cost me around £2.5k, but could have been a lot lighter (~£500) had I just got the leak fixed on its own.
    3) Oil leak on one of the sump bolts, 1 hours labour to fix.

It's had 3 services, and obviously I've bought it the odd modification.. I had it fully inspected last month as I was/am toying with the idea of selling it, and it came back needing nothing. Considering I've put on over 20k miles and it's been used pretty much every day, I'm thoroughly happy!

I'll put up a more detailed post about the transmission issue tonight, as I couldn't find a whole lot of information online so it may be of use to someone in the future.

Hi Jay, I work at Brize as well, not seen your car around where abouts do you work? :thumb:

RWD_cossie_wil said:
Hi Jay, I work at Brize as well, not seen your car around where abouts do you work? :thumb:

10 Squadron, how about yourself?

I think I've seen your car in the OM, silver 996 Turbo with a private plate? I usually park it near the front

Jay. said:
RWD_cossie_wil said:

I think I've seen your car in the OM, silver 996 Turbo with a private plate? I usually park it near the front

I'm on voyager (civi engineer) :grin: , seen your car parked last night on the road, I live on the same estate as well it seems! Yes that's my car, off the road at the moment I'm using my M5 at the mo! Have to catch up for a coffee/beer at some point?

Jan 2016

RWD_cossie_wil said:
Jay. said:
RWD_cossie_wil said:

I'm on voyager (civi engineer) :grin: , seen your car parked last night on the road, I live on the same estate as well it seems! Yes that's my car, off the road at the moment I'm using my M5 at the mo! Have to catch up for a coffee/beer at some point?

No way! Yes, we should definitely. I pretty much live right opposite where I park the car, are you relatively close? I was gutted not to have a garage, but fortunately found someone who is willing to rent theirs out just up the road.

Jan 2016

A couple of months after I bought the car, the MOT was due and I decided to have it serviced at the same time (even though the Major service was only ~3000 miles before that). I'm lucky that I have Brookspeed a 15 minute drive from my parents home, so it's a good excuse to get down.

I had them conduct a minor service and a full inspection (probably something I should have done before buying that car) for peace of mind.

1) The car had an airbag warning light flick on every time the car went onto full lock, which required a new clockspring mechanism.

2) Two oil leaks, which were fixed at the same time.

3) Uneven wear on tyres, causing innerside to be worn down faster than out. I was planning on swapping the wheels out anyway, so I figured I'd leave this one.

4) Brake fluid change, documentation didn't show the last time this was done. Brakes felt instantly much better.

All in all, I was really relieved/happy that it was a relatively simple service. Its actually the first time I've ever paid someone to do a service for me - I would normally do it myself - and I was really happy with how much detail they went into with the inspection, I've added it to my "to do" list every time I get it serviced.

Sent a PM Jay :bandit:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SondeMadiu
Back