Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sleepy forum

highway

Maybe it's the time of year? No oil threads, build threads, valuation threads. It's all a bit threadbare. I'm conscious of the changing landscape for cars in the UK. It's a triple threat. The T charge will be levied in London for cars being used that don't hit current emissions targets. It's not a big step from this point for other local authorities to bring in their version of the same. I don't use my 993 much but knowing every time I took it out of the garage I was being thumped with a £10-£15 'toxicity" fee, would really give me the needle.

We have speed cameras breeding and multiplying like vermin. As the cost drops, it becomes more lucrative for these cameras to get sited on dual carriageways and no doubt soon on B roads. For our collective safety. I can see the day approaching when these cameras effectively blanket the UK road network.

Finally, young drivers already have mandatory black boxes fitted to their cars in order to get Insurance. These devices blow an electronic whistle if the cars are, for example, being used after a set time. Couldn't be difficult for these boxes to become a mainstream requirement informing Insurance companies of acceleration, speeds reached etc with a dim view being taken if the numbers look a bit edgy.

The end date for sale of new petrol engined cars has set and the future is likely some form of auto driven pod.

Top end classics are going to hold value regardless as art. Everything else surely takes a bath? Maybe not overnight but over a period there can't be a rosy residual future for all the current modern classics.

Time grows short.

Re fully automatic cars I think we are a long long way from that being a reality apart from on maybe a few (purpose built) roads. In the complexity of the real world AI just can't cut the mustard yet and lab results flatter to deceive (to get funding etc....)....

With regard to fully electric cars we are decade away. c60% of the public does not have off road parking and the infrastructure / tech needed to support none combustion engines fully is just not there and will require a massive amount of investment at the wrong economic time.

KERS hybrid cars with small capacity petrol engines will be the next big thing but that will leave the way for petrol classics to thrive.

Legislation will not follow London's model, there are very few cities that a) require it or b) could take the economic hit of losing business that would relocate. Plus with the increase in KERS technology more cars will be running around at city pace on electric meaning a drop in pollution levels.

You put all this together and the 'experience" a classic car will offer (mainly around the sound / feel of a full combustion engine) will only increase and values will skyrocket out of control especially for those cars which offer that experience in bucketload such as a 993 with RSR's and a BGTS :grin:

You put all this together and the 'experience" a classic car will offer (mainly around the sound / feel of a full combustion engine) will only increase and values will skyrocket out of control especially for those cars which offer that experience in bucketload such as a 993 with RSR's and a BGTS Grin

Ill go with your optimism
:thumb:

:eek:

I thought your thread title was 993 specific but it appears that we all might as well go and slash our wrists to facilitate a quick death rather than suffer a long drawn out one caused by boredom.

I get the gist of what you're saying and am thankful (!) in some ways that most of my motoring days are behind me but there's still plenty of fun to be had out there if you pick your roads and time of day/week to use them. It just underlines that NOW is the time to make more time to use cars such as ours as something more than just transport. As you say, time grows short.

In the last couple of weeks I've enjoyed a 718S Cayman to the full and had a couple of spirited drives in my own car without seeing a police car, camera (apart from in a 30 limit) or a congestion/pollution zone.

I fully appreciate why owners of cars that have risen in value in recent years are shy of putting miles on them and/or getting them dirty after being made pristine but don't have any sympathy with them as it's a choice they have made. I wonder how many bought them with the intention to store them rather than drive them. To my mind any 'appreciation' or 'lack of depreciation' should be regarded as a bonus not an alternative.

There's plenty of life in the various water-cooled sub-forums showing that later cars can still be enjoyed in the way they were built for. Many of them are also holding their value, or doing better than that.

Whilst writing this my thoughts have come round more and more to thinking that your musings are more of an excuse to leave the 993 in the garage. :wink:

Perhaps it's time to cash in your investment and buy a kettle. :dont know:

or buy a tesla 2nd hand if you think that's the way the wind is blowing,

battery cars are part of the future, not the future on their own,

i wouldn't say no to a tesla if i had the money, but i would say no to a leaf.

you could cash your 993 in next week and walk away with a tesla next week aswell if you are that worried, you can drive it where you like without fear of penalty charges.

i think its only a natural step for other cities to follow London, councils aren't known for their business acumen.

I'm buying an electric next :grin:

(For Mrs Z)

the mini will be the car that could tip the balance, if they get that right with a decent range, its going to fly out the door.

again, i wouldn't say no.

This forum sees little traffic compared to the others. Its partly due to the rise of the secret illuminati sub forum I'm sure. Thanks for the PM Terry. Been out from my sickbed in the 993 today. Clear skies make for a nice bimble out. My daughter now refuses to entertain the backseat of the car so it's as well she was happier to stay at nannies. The back seat versatility of the 911 has ceased to have relevance for me so arguably I could look to a 981. That would also make selling the Elise sensible.

Another big 993 plus is surely the fact you can actually wring it out a bit without inviting serious mph. You definitely can't do that in a 997S, much less a 991 as flat in 3rd sees you in front of a magistrate. I've also gone all day without seeing another one. Which is nice. 22 years old now as well. She looks well for it.

The end is most definitely approaching for those who enjoy fast cars. I had two tickets land on my doorstep yesterday from driving to Cornwall last Saturday. 99 and 106 so both will be a magistrate. Both cameras, one a fixed unit on the motorway, the other a mobile camera.

It won't be long before large sections of the road network are covered with cameras attached to gantries and average speed cameras.

Add to it the nonsense of the London low emissions zone, and the extra taxation on oil based fuel to combat falling revenues as hybrids and electric become more commonplace. It looks a ***** future for those who love driving.

bloody hell that's terrible, are you looking at a ban?

i go on a long trip now, and i cant enjoy the journey, i keep playing it over in my mind if i transgressed or not, its ridiculous this oppression.

Yes. In the absence of divine intervention I could be looking at 6 months. If I'm lucky maybe a couple of weeks and 6 points. Fines are all much higher than they were a couple of years back too with up to £2,500 available to whoever is handing it out.

and then the Insurance knock on,

any discrepancies in the paperwork they sent, wrong colour, date etc

how far is the court?

Palladium said:
and then the Insurance knock on,

any discrepancies in the paperwork they sent, wrong colour, date etc

how far is the court?

Exactly – there is no way the premium will remain the same on the cars.

Fines are now hugely expensive as the government has to boost income somehow to pay for the ever growing welfare bill. Speeding motorists are the new drink drivers.

No mistakes on the paperwork, and reading the small print any mistakes on their part will not stop a conviction.

:drive: :cop: :rulez: :judge: :banned: :bike:

Guys, its gonna be fine.

We mighty just need to search out the right roads a little more. Mine is a weekend toy anyway.

Electric cars, self driving, tolls, auto speed limiting etc is all coming, but VERY slowly.

If anything, it will make 'escaping' to the countryside at the weekends even more fun.

Chins up!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back