Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The groove in the 996 header

Patronus

Monza
Hi guys, I've searched but can't find the answer anywhere. What's the deal with the groove in the factory 996 header? Clearly it connects the exhaust ports with each other but why? I notice that neither the X51 header nor any of the aftermarket headers have this groove.

Attachments

• 996_hearder_185.jpg
    996_hearder_185.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 3,050
I thought the originals were flat and that's just an imprint over time where it bolts to the block and the water channel runs?? :dont know:

20161228_181231.jpg

:worship:

Cheers Iain, learn something new everyday. :thumb:

So that's where my SAI pump pumps air into to dilute the richer fumes on start-up?

Thanks for the explanation. I thought only US cars had SAI?

Its the pump on the left side of the engine .. right side and on the engine for turbos .

Parts for it listed here ..

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=2536&MAK=3&MDL=25&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

Its fitted to all Uk Porsches as far as im aware due to emissions regulations .

Its there to fast warm the Cats so they start doing their job quicker .. lambda sensors have a heating element so same thing but done with voltage .

Save the planet stuff .

Not uncommon for the ports in the heads to coke up .. there are fault codes for this .

The groove is not actually on the header .. the gasket is shaped to allow the air flow .. from the picture then that should just be carbon buildup .

I think it was added when egas was implemented.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I think it was added when egas was implemented.

MC

Could well be .. i just fix the cars :D

Link shows a pre 1999 pump so i assumed it was on all of them :dont know:

Was there a year that this first came in, mine is 99 and has no SAI pump.

Ive no idear im afraid ..

MisterCorn comment makes perfect sense to me but the link shows a pre 99 pump so im confused .

i can only guess that the engines had this system since first built but perhaps were only used on the USA vehicles prior to Egas here .

All i can say is what the system does :(

e-gas was introduced with the M96.02 in the C4 in MY1999. SAI was introduced with the M96.04 in MY2000 for cars with OBDII or Euro 3, according to Mr Streather.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back