Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Squeaking brakes grrrr....

APL911

Spa-Francorchamps
Hello everyone.

My squeaking brakes are getting on my last nerve.

I've had all of the brake pads out, cleaned the pads and callipers, applied a generous amount of coppaslip between the anti vibration shims and the pads.

The squeaking comes and goes. I don't mind so much when it squeaks when the brakes are applied. What is doing my head in is the squeak squeak squeak when I'm driving along not applying the brakes.

It seems to be coming from the front right. I'm beginning to think that maybe one of the calliper pistons is not retracting when the brakes are released?

I'm considering taking the callipers off and giving them a good clean, but I wanted to get some advice first. Has anyone else done this? Can anyone recommend a company to strip and rebuild callipers? What sort of cost could I be looking at?

I'm also considering replacing the front discs and pads with Brembo. The existing items look like they have plenty of life, but I also think they are a good few years old now.

As usual, any advice would be greatly received. :thumbs:

From my level of experience, it is not uncommon to hear 911 brakes squeal/squeak on application of the brake pedal. My current 991 certainly does it, and despite the dealer repeatedly cleaning all components, rechamfering pads, and changing pads/disks, it always ends up back iwith a similar noise on pedal application. The noise is like an old London taxi coming to a halt. :nooo:
My dealer eventually gave up on me and referred me to a page in the handbook which says that squeal/squeak is a characteristic of a high performance braking system.
What a :cop: out.

In practical terms, the first course of action is a full clean with a good quality brake spray cleaner. Ensure no foreign bodies are embedded in the face of the pads or anything is trapped between the pad and the disc. Depending on how worn your pads are, may be worth rechamfering the ends.

In terms of the squeal whilst driving (without touching the brakes), every time I have had this, it has been a sticking piston (and on other cars, pistons and/or the sliding pins). The best way to test this is to jack each corner up and spin the wheels. If there is any drag at all, may be just crud and needs a spray clean. If more significant drag is experienced, then pointing towards a sticking piston.

It is possible to refurb the piston yourself, but have found BCS in Nottingham to offer an excellent service in terms of refurb (and even repaint if required) :-
https://www.bcs-automotive.co.uk/

Good luck. :lol:

Thanks DRZ

I think my plan of action will be to replace the discs, pads, shims and pins etc and give the callipers a further clean.

I've emailed BCS for a quote too. :thumb:

Two things im thinking of ..

The sticky pads should locate the pads to the caliper pistons .. on various Porsches if these come unstuck it will cause brake squeel .

Sometimes no matter what we try they will squeek .. hence the note in the handbook as the only fix is replacement of discs / pads .

Sometimes its the surface of the disc , some tiny sharp edge .. ive changed just discs before and stopped it ..

Sometines its the material in the pads .. again a sharp edge and a pad change will stop it.

I think of it and try and explain it as the noise when blowing over a blade of grass in your hand .. what we used to do as kids ... similar thing happens on the brakes .. well in my head anyways :D and thats what we are trying to fix .

The way the anti squeal shims are supposed to work is that they adhere to the back of the pads. Therefore copper grease means that there is no stick there and they aren't doing anything therefore your pads may be getting left on the disc

Has your calipers ever been refurbed or just serviced ( full strip and new seals)?
This should be done every 50k or 5years.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back