Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Timing Chain Replacement - how difficult?

eabeukes

Monza
I need to change all the timing chains soon, and have been quoted a large number to have it done. Has anyone done this, and if so what tools did you need to buy to do this? I have a garage that I can squeeze the car into, and one screwdriver :)

What could possibly go wrong... :eek: :sad:

Dunno. I can barely change a wheel and am trying to get in the zone to take on the brake discs and a few other minor jobs armed with 101 Projects for your 911, a hydraulic jack and a cheap toolkit.

What makes you think that the chains needs to be changed? It is a serious job with many other 'whilst you are in there' things to look at.

MC

MisterCorn said:
What makes you think that the chains needs to be changed? It is a serious job with many other 'whilst you are in there' things to look at.

MC

Cam deviation of 9, and 2 indie's have oth told me they need doing. Plus the previous owner left all the chains and parts in the trunk for me as a hint!

You imply that you haven't done much mechanical work and if so, this isn't a beginner's job. There are far too many things you need to know/be aware of and if you do it wrongly, you will wreck your engine.

You'll also need a decent array of tools including such things as a socket set, spanners, various pliers, torque wrench etc. as well as special tools such as a cam lock. You'll need various sealants, lubricants, releasing and cleaning fluids etc.

Do you have a trolley jack and axle stands?

If you plan to start servicing the car yourself, start building up an array of tools and find someone near you with mechanical skills to help/advise.

maldren said:
You imply that you haven't done much mechanical work and if so, this isn't a beginner's job. There are far too many things you need to know/be aware of and if you do it wrongly, you will wreck your engine.

I've done work before, and my ex-wife took all the tools I built up over the years

maldren said:
You'll also need a decent array of tools including such things as a socket set, spanners, various pliers, torque wrench etc. as well as special tools such as a cam lock. You'll need various sealants, lubricants, releasing and cleaning fluids etc.

I am thinking that a better place to start would be the smaller jobs - looking at the prices of some of the tooling I'll need for the work, plus the "while its out" works, I'll likely use an indie for this like I planned - I posted in the vain hope it was something that could be done without dropping the engine etc. I've heard of split-link chains etc that can do this but I have 5 chains so not sure![/quote]

It'll most probably be worn chain guides, I'd be surprised the chains have stretched that much and confused why everyone thinks it is the chains? What mileage has the engine done?

To change the chains you will need to split the crankcases.

infrasilver said:
It'll most probably be worn chain guides, I'd be surprised the chains have stretched that much and confused why everyone thinks it is the chains? What mileage has the engine done?

To change the chains you will need to split the crankcases.

Youll get no argument from me young man .. but garages tend to quote the worst case senario .. better to end up with a cheaper bill than have to go back to the customer and say .. er .. its more expensive !

If you need to replace timing chains and from your limited experience you describe, this is not a DIY job for you in my opinion. For Chris (infrasilver) yes.
But from your description I'd say better entrusted to a good Indy with all the gear and know-how.

But its your choice.

Engine's currently on c137k miles
Hartech rebuild at 85505miles

• new valve spings all round
    refurbed heads and grind valves
    new stem oil seals
    new gaskets, spark plug seals, bolts & nuts

In 2013 Hartech did as follows at 121150 miles:
Removed cam cover, found chin guide plate broken. New (used) Vario Cam, new solenoid, timing chain and guides installed.

The previous owner then left me this (very kindly):
Timing chains 4 off, two with connectors + wear pads, rattle on cold
start up, replaced chain tensioners & oil pressure relief valve spring,
piston & end cap, RPM did a cam angle test which is an indication of
the chain condition, 1 being a new engine and 10 ready to snap a chain,
mine was a 9 so ready for new chains and wear pads. bought the special
chains with split links so the crank cases didn't need splitting

**Edit: to clarify, he did not do the chains**

He also states he did the IMS, RMS and clutch (incl gearoil and magnetic drain plug) recently. The last oil change showed no shavings of any kind in the oil, and the borescope showed only trace amounts of scarring on one cyclinder.

Could it be the VarioCam unit causing the problems rather than the guides/chains?!

eabeukes said:
Timing chains 4 off, two with connectors + wear pads, rattle on cold start up,

eabeukes said:
bought the special chains with split links so the crank cases didn't need splitting

I have seen them for sale and always thought, WTF. :eek:

I think for a chain that can stretch in its life this is a scary option to replace with, yes you can replace them without splitting the casing's BUT I'm not sure I would trust those little circlips to hold my engine together.

I fitted a split link bike chain to my old ZXR and it broke, never fitted a split link chain again and would never fit one internally to an engine.

infrasilver said:
I think for a chain that can stretch in it life this is a scary option to replace with, yes you can replace them without splitting the casing's BUT I'm not sure I would trust those little circlips to hold my engine together.

I fitted a split link bike chain to my old ZXR and it broke, never fitted a split link chain again and would never fit one internally to an engine.

Split links are fine on a pushbike but they even fail there sometime. On a car as an after market part - scary.

The split link chains are pretty standard on the big old Mercedes engines. I recently did one on my 560 SEC. It is an easy job with the split link but a massive job without it on those. That is a lazy slow engine though, personally I wouldn't do it on a Porsche engine.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Retep
Back