Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 steering removal socket??

stucart

Decided try and swap out old wheel for newly refurbished one, after struggling to get air bag to release,but after loads of cussing it did release!( wish i'd not clipped airbag into new wheel either that was a right pain to get back out!!!)
I now find its a female socket I need, doesn't look like a normal Torx socket, anyone know what I need???

Stu, silicon grease the air bag before refitting it mate it will stop the horn sticking on when pressed :thumb: :thumb:

Being stupid which bits do you apply grease? Assume it's the spigots with springs over them. Would Vaseline do it?

stucart said:
Being stupid which bits do you apply grease? Assume it's the spigots with springs over them. Would Vaseline do it?

:eek: its not the wife mate :floor: :floor: you need a different forum for that type of advise :grin:

but seriously now , apply a small amount of silicon grease around the sides of the airbag before sliding it onto the wheel. not sure if vaseline would melt on a hot day and drip ,In my experience it gets thin and runny when hot :D :) :wack:

assumeing we are talking the round airbag then a slight smear around the top leather part that touches the wheel , also along the side of the airbag and on the teflon tape areas .

You also pull the base springs up a bit .. stretch them .

most important part is around the top part of the airbag though as thats where it jams .

Krytox or similar .. not grease :)

Phil 997 said:
stucart said:

:eek: its not the wife mate :floor: :floor: you need a different forum for that type of advise :grin:

but seriously now , apply a small amount of silicon grease around the sides of the airbag before sliding it onto the wheel. not sure if vaseline would melt on a hot day and drip ,In my experience it gets thin and runny when hot :D :) :wack:
Phil,
Do you have a Mini-me that does kids parties? It would have to be a sanitised version but I think you/he would do well :thumb: :thumbs:

Scholester said:
Phil 997 said:
stucart said:

Phil,
Do you have a Mini-me that does kids parties? It would have to be a sanitised version but I think you/he would do well :thumb: :thumbs:

:floor: :floor: :floor: does 911uk member Leon count as a mini me :grin: :grin:

Attachments

• img_1475_102.jpg
    img_1475_102.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 3,180
I have a guide here i intend to use to fit my cruise control ,gives you instructions on removing the steering wheel cant seem to upload the pdf on to here pm me if you would like copy.

Come on Stu let's see a picture!!

Phill something wrong with you :floor:

silvermilnec said:
Come on Stu let's see a picture!!

Phill something wrong with you :floor:

:floor: :floor: funny your not the first to say that to me Chris :grin: :thumb:

Chris got find a Torx bit yet, DeMort its a triangular air bag wheel so no grease I reckon??

stucart said:
Chris got find a Torx bit yet, DeMort its a triangular air bag wheel so no grease I reckon??

Ah Stu, think we all thought it was the round airbag one :nooo: sorry mate ignore what I said :thumb:

stucart said:

No grease needed on that one young man .. only on the round ones .

Btw .. if an airbag is hard to remove .. ie wont pop out then bash the steering wheel with your palm .. it does work .. honest .

Same for the triangle shaped one .. pop one side then whilst trying to pop the other side then bash the wheel .

Finally got it all fitted now, Wheel, tiptronic shifter, handbrake grip . Broken up the Red a bit now, reckon I'll change the gear selector horseshoe for a black one. ( anyone got one) next.
Anyway here are the pics:-

Attachments

• 00619d54_9345_45de_94f6_f274cdb70208_102.jpeg
    00619d54_9345_45de_94f6_f274cdb70208_102.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 2,924

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back