Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 purchase - PPI

scottylamb

Hi guys,

Give me the benefit of your knowledge.

Looking at another 997, and have found one I'm interested in at a garage.

They won't permit the car to leave their premises for a PPI, for Insurance reasons. I'm sure the car would be test driven off their premises, but as for work maybe it's not covered.

Neither will they permit an independent inspector to visit their garage and use their ramp to get under the car (I'd argue they could hoist the car and allow the guy under it...)

Does it sound like they just don't want it to be inspected?

On another note, if it has scored bores etc., i buy the car uninspected and then immediately have it checked upon purchase, would I be able to reject the car and return it in the instance it did have such an issue?

That would worry me enough to look elsewhere.

I can understand their concern on not allowing the car off the premises, but as for an inspector visiting... sounds like they are being a bit obstructive to me, not sure I'd want to do business with them.

I would imagine you could reject the car under CRA if you inspect it immediately after delivery and find it has major faults.

If they are being this obstructive prior to potential Bore Scoring issues then you can only imagine their lack of enthusiasm if you wanted to return the car.

As stated above, move on and let them know why.

In fact, I would go as far as now adopting a position of them carrying out the said Full PPI (recognised Independant report not by their own mechanic) at their expense before even reconsidering discussing the car further. Let them chase you as there will be plenty of other good examples available.

The Consumer Rights Act would certainly be on your side if you had a PPI done straight after purchase and it flagged up any issues

See => Consumer Rights when buying a car

BUT

Getting a refund / rejecting the car involves a process that can take time.

In this case it seems strange that the vendor won't allow a PPI on their own premises. Unless the car is absolutely spot-on and priced right I'd look elsewhere.

A PPI I had done on gen2 revealed over 8k of issues. I would look elsewhere.

If you think it is the car for you then have some wording added in the sales contract that agrees for you to return the car if an inspection finds any issues.

You could even agree with the seller who will do the inspection so they can have no argument in the event something is found.

Otherwise, if you aren't desperate for this particular car then walk away.

Run away from it like the wind.

With that level of awkwardness just trying to get it checked.

Hiding something or why not give you free reign to check what you like.

I know for sure if I was selling mine I would welcome any check from a professional.

Depending on where the car is , and just to really pi55 them off I can give you the number of a mobile Porsche tech who can do a full PPI and borescope on their site and not needing their equipment . so now the only thing they can do is refuse access and if they do that then you know 100% to walk :grin:
Let me know if you want his number hes very experienced and will give you a full written PPI report and he have a very good clear pic borescope camera machine :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Depending on where the car is , and just to really pi55 them off I can give you the number of a mobile Porsche tech who can do a full PPI and borescope on their site and not needing their equipment . so now the only thing they can do is refuse access and if they do that then you know 100% to walk :grin:
Let me know if you want his number hes very experienced and will give you a full written PPI report and he have a very good clear pic borescope camera machine :thumb: :thumb:

Id like he's number please :thumb:

dp400 said:
Phil 997 said:

Id like he's number please :thumb:

PM sent mate :thumb:

scottylamb said:
Hi guys,

Give me the benefit of your knowledge.

Looking at another 997, and have found one I'm interested in at a garage.

They won't permit the car to leave their premises for a PPI, for Insurance reasons. I'm sure the car would be test driven off their premises, but as for work maybe it's not covered.

Neither will they permit an independent inspector to visit their garage and use their ramp to get under the car (I'd argue they could hoist the car and allow the guy under it...)

Does it sound like they just don't want it to be inspected?

On another note, if it has scored bores etc., i buy the car uninspected and then immediately have it checked upon purchase, would I be able to reject the car and return it in the instance it did have such an issue?

Don't buy it, he could drive it to Porsche himself and wait while they do the PPi the car. When I bought my last 911, I said PPi it or ON SALE simple as that.

I am putting my 997 C2s up for sale next month. I am having a PPi done now so the new owner has nothing to worry about

:thumb:

Attachments

• capture_1_145.jpg
    capture_1_145.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 2,945

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back